Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) Ready Player One discussion

Live Video Chat with Ernest Cline

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kara (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara Join us on Tuesday, June 12 at 2 pm ET/11 am PT for a live video chat with Ernest Cline. We'll be discussing his book Ready Player One, now available in paperback, as well as his life as a writer.

If you have a question for Ernest, feel free to ask it below!

message 2: by Cat (last edited Jun 04, 2012 05:48PM) (new) - added it

Cat People have been downing your book alot. Saying that it's just a bunch of useless 80's facts and memorobelia wrapped up in one. How do you feel about that? Do you regret putting anyhting in the books that you did? Is there really a Ready Player Two coming out about Wade's life with Samantha?

I love you work so much, you're my inspiration to become the author I am today! Thank you, and keep writing!

message 3: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat How do we connect to the video chat?

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari Great book Ernest. Truly witty and imaginative speculative fiction.

Jonathan Raines Would you consider making a video game based on the book, complete with Joust & Pac Man & Scans of D&D modules?

Nora LOVED the book. Everyone in the family did. My question: how much of that enormous and enormously enjoyable information was in your head and how much in your research? Was it already a time with which you were familiar?

message 7: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Your book is brilliant! q How did you come up with the idea of 'planets' to house different aspects of the online world?

Caitmarie24 I adore your book! I *loved* the 80s references. I was a (young) child of the 80s and still remember weekends in the arcade with Daddy and my little brother. When are you coming to Houston for your PB release tour??

Mary Enjoyed your book. I'd be interested to know what your background is or what research was done into virtual worlds like Second Life and others. The virtual world Oasis in your book seems very SL-like or at least what SL could have been.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa The video chat url is http://www.goodreads.com/topic/video_...

Hope I can catch it!

Sandra I loved the book. I have heard that it is being made into a movie and I wonder how authors feel about that happening. Some movies just don't do the books justice at all!! Are you afraid of this happening?

message 12: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Spires Loved the book!

Karen I actually listened to the audiobook version of Ready Player One, read by Wil Wheaton. It was the only time I'd ever come to the end of a book and re-read it again immediately. Thank you. q How much input do you have when it comes to the narration of the audiobook? Wheaton did an incredible job and I had a pretty "meta" moment when he was mentioned. Because it was read to me, I right away was able to picture this book as a movie. Have there been any offers? Who would be your dream cast?

message 14: by Loki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loki please please please come to anchorage Alaska. you have a lot of fans that work at the Barnes and noble.

Patrick Brown Hi everybody. Just wanted to make sure you all saw that we have had to reschedule the chat for Monday. I'm so sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused. It was unavoidable, unfortaunately.

Tammy Smith I loved Wil Wheaton's reading of RP1 - what would you think of casting him in the movie? (I know you don't really get to choose who gets cast and who doesn't this is a hypothetical Q) And what character would he best personify in your mind?

Tammy Smith Also, what game would you want to play if you were on an episode of Wil's TableTop series?

message 18: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat 6 days!!!!! It said June 12th.......oh well! I love your books earnest! My entire family read the books! Mt brther, myself, my two sisters, and my mother. We all loved it, especially all the 80's references beacause my mom grew up in the 80's and we love hearing stories about it! I still play all those old videos games like Joust and Pacman and can't wait to see you here!

message 19: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Love the contest on your blog Ernest! Cant wait to see who wins!!

message 20: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Prosser Why does it say 6 days? Is it happening today or not? :S

Stanton Loved the book, Ernest, and so have my family, friends and students. Looking forward to next week's video chat. Hey, tech happens.

Claudiu Ceia Just read Sara's comment above and the contest is amazing, I was actually thinking "How cool would it be to have an Easter Egg within the book?", but I never searched. And then I read the contest rules and saw that neither Shoto, Daito or Art3mis could have been gunters in this competition. Can the rest of us at least take part for the sake of it?

message 24: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Thanks for the update Mister Cline

Mampersat Thought this shin-diggly started at 2pm EST

Mampersat My bad - start's at 5pm

Sandra As an almost 50 yr old woman, I don't think I would be someone that typically be a fan of this book. I loved it, and would recommend it to anyone wanting a good read. I know why I loved it and my question for you is: Q What do you think is the appeal of it for someone of my age?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Q: If you compared yourself to 1 of your characters, who would it be?

message 29: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Ready Player One was by far my favorite book that I read in 2011. And I read it again a month or so ago. I'm looking forward to MORE!

message 30: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Will Ernest be able to see us? Or just us see him?

message 31: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Q People have been downing your book alot. Saying that it's just a bunch of useless 80's facts and memorobelia wrapped up in one. How do you feel about that?

message 32: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Q Is there a Ready Player Two coming out about Wade and samantha's life together?

message 33: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Q Do you regret putting anything in the books that you did?

Tamsen Q: I am psyched about the contest. How long have you had the contest planned (before/after publication)? Any surprises yet so far?

Pustulio If you could pick your own cast for the movie what actor would you like to play Wade?

message 36: by Khouloud (new)

Khouloud Khammassi q I am interested in learning the techniques of your networking. How were you able to use your own network to promote your work. Thank you

message 37: by Mansi (new) - added it

Mansi Q: firstly, I enjoy reading your books~! And for the actual question, who/what inspired you to create a two-dimensional world like in Ready Player One ?

Brian W. q What is going on with Thundercade? I love Ready Player One & Fanboys and I need a lot more Ernest Cline in my life.

message 39: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric q so after all the events at the end of the novel what happens to IOI, Sorrento, and all the execs?

David Will there be a sequel?

message 41: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne C. Did you go through the traditional route to publication (using your screenwriting success to get in the door) or did you use social media to promote your book before it was picked up by a publisher?

Michael Wilson Q Had you intended for Aech to be revealed as female all along? As a writer myself, I know that sometimes these things just happen as the characters become alive.

Michael Wilson Q Do you outline or write by the seat of your pants, as the saying goes?

konneko . Q: We'll have a 2nd part of "RPO"?, i feel that i need more pages at end of the book :/ (greetings from Chile)

Rachel Q: Will you be at SDCC this year? If so, will you be doing any panels?

message 46: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Dave C you haven't found it yet? I think you should read the book again... not being mean, just saying.

message 47: by Deepak (new)

Deepak Yadav random question before the chat starts: how to i decide whether to write in first person being a character of the novel or as a third person?...i started writing as a third person, having doubts now.

message 48: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Dave I can honestly say I've read it at least 20x. I own all three versions so it's pretty much with me wherever I go. This book has pretty much ruined all chances of my GR Reading challenge 2 years and counting. Obviously I love it.

message 49: by Hidalgelis (new)

Hidalgelis Do you like writing books or is it just annoying and tiring?

message 50: by Deepak (new)

Deepak Yadav annoying and tiring mostly, but there's a desire to write to share ideas with the world...

« previous 1 3 4