readers from NH discussion

Greetings in 2009

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 7 comments Hello everyone - just learned about goodreads today - would love to talk to others about good books/good authors - I am a resident of Stratham, voracious reader of nonfiction/fiction (especially mystery) - on the board of the Wiggin Library in Stratham - is anybody out there this year

message 2: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 7 comments As a resident (gasp) of Massachusetts but with an affinity to New Hampshire (spent my childhood summers in Meredith Center), I lurk here. You're welcome to check out my books to get a sense of what I read. I try to screen books before reading them (so many books, so little time) so my ratings tend to be a bit high.

message 3: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 7 comments Hi Roy

Happy to chat with anyone about books - even a (gasp) lurking Massachussetser? (ite?) - I see from an earlier post that you read a fair amount of non-fiction - as do I - tend to lean towards history - lit crit - politics - look forward to seeing whats out there

message 4: by Marlene (new)

Marlene does anyone want to read a book as a group??? Any suggestions?

message 5: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 7 comments Marlene - I'd be happy to - I'm currently reading 3 or 4 books in other groups but always happy to add one more - but candidly - it doesn't appear that too many folks are active in this group - I posted something back in January - and only heard back from Roy - whose (gasp) in Massachusetts

message 6: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 7 comments I'd also be pleased to join a group-read with a discussion to follow. I have a few books of New Hampshire themes in my (large) to-be-read stack and can gladly make suggestions. Marlene, you picked the idea so why not pick the book? I'm also in other on-going reading groups so I'd like some lead time (say, 4-6 weeks) in order to participate.

message 7: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 7 comments Roy - How are you finding Killer Angels? I found it one of the most remarkable books that I had ever read? It's everything that historical fiction should be, and the maps are as clear as anything in any book on battle that I had ever seen. I visited Gettysburg the year I read it, and it was a truly life altering experience.

message 8: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 7 comments _The Killer Angels_ is truly an excellent book. It's a bit difficult for me to adjust, however, as I read a lot of nonfiction; I need to keep reminding myself that he is making this up as he is going along. The characters do come to life in Shaara's writing and the events of the battles are made more vivid through his fictional accounts. I also enjoy the way he provides perspective from each of the major characters. I have also learned an advantage of participating in a reading group as I never would have read this if I had not been connected to the Pulitzer literature group on Yahoo.

message 9: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 7 comments Roy wrote: "_The Killer Angels_ is truly an excellent book. It's a bit difficult for me to adjust, however, as I read a lot of nonfiction; I need to keep reminding myself that he is making this up as he is go..."
Yeah, this is work that exists at the hazy border lines between history and historical fiction. The work of the Shaara's, father and son, is so incredibly well researched that I don't think there are significant historical inaccuracies in them, and a very reasonable way of looking at the historical events involved, which is certainly not usually the case in historical fiction.
Are you aware that Michael's son Jeff has gone on to write several sequels to Killer Angels? These include Gods and Generals and Last Full Measure, as well as books about the Mexican War of the 1840s and the American Revolution. He takes the same approach as his father in them. Detailed historical background, focus on 3 to 4 key individuals, and very well laid out maps and battlefield information.

message 10: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 7 comments Thanks, Bruce, for the comments and, yes, I am aware of the continued work through the Shaara dynasty. So many books, so little time ...

message 11: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 7 comments Roy wrote: "Thanks, Bruce, for the comments and, yes, I am aware of the continued work through the Shaara dynasty. So many books, so little time ..."

My dear mother, God rest her soul, gave me a tee shirt once that said

Quot Libros,
Quam Breve Tempes
(so many books, so little time)

Now you can wow them at your next cocktail party with your Latin fluency!

message 12: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 7 comments ... and my sister gave me a sweatshirt with the English version.

message 13: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 7 comments Roy wrote: "... and my sister gave me a sweatshirt with the English version."

oh goody - our book group has a uniform!

message 14: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jeffreykinghorn) | 2 comments Hello All,
This batch of reading response posts has shown up in my email and I am delighted to have received them. I am a novelist, living in Barrington, New Hampshire, and have just had my detective novel INSIDE THE LOOP published by Hilliard and Harris Fine Books. Forgive the self-promotion, but would anyone care to read it, have a discussion, a group meeting? Be happy to join in. INSIDE THE LOOP features Houston PI Ted Mitchell who must go up against a defensive line-up of ex-wives, including one of his own, in order to find the murderer of the Texas Oil Barron who had hired him to locate the long lost love of his life. I've got two more in queue, and I'm working on the fourth one. Hope to hear from one and all. Be well.

message 15: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 7 comments Jeffrey wrote: "Hello All,
I am a novelist, living in Barrington, New Hampshire, ..."

Hi Jeffrey. The genre isn't with my mainstream but the book sounds interesting. If you need an independent reviewer with the review published on Amazon.com and Gather.com (where I've published other reviews, as well as some in print journals), I would be pleased to read it and review it.

message 16: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jeffreykinghorn) | 2 comments Roy, I sent you an email but have not heard back. I would love to have your review of the book. How can we make that happen?