Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

Summer Reading June 4-10 > Your preference: series or stand-alone titles?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate, Young Adult Librarian (new)

Kate (katemcnair) | 58 comments Mod
I loved Graceling, and waited patiently for Fire. But then I had to wait two and half years for Bitterblue! I like series, but I hate waiting...so I guess I am on the fence.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) I cannot really say that I like one over the other. Both are great. Stand-alones are great for quick reads, but I like series a lot as well because you get so much more of a story. Plus it's fun to re-read a book series. The waiting though, can be quite torturous!

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina Yan (reginayanster) | 14 comments I prefer book series over stand-alone titles because you really get more character development throughout series. My favorite books are all part of series and it's lots of fun turning "nothing-to-do" weekends into reading marathons :)

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (themaybird) Depends. Really I like both. I love series, because as others said, you can get a lot more story and character development. For example, Harry Potter, I felt like I grew up with the main characters. On the other hand, sometimes I'll be in a position when I'm waiting for the next book in 20 different series, so whenever I'm at a bookstore I get frustrated when I keep picking up books and realizing they're the first in yet another series. Sometimes I just want to read something self-contained, knowing I won't have to wait for more.

message 5: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 29 comments I'm really on the fence about this. Some of my favorite books are stand alone titles, but there have been a few trilogys that I loved, such as Shiver, Linger, Forever. Ah, those were good. But the waiting! hay carumba. The character and story development in book series are great, but really any thing longer than a trilogy and I get bored waiting for the next book, and then you forget what happened at the end of the last one...

District2tribute | 25 comments I agree with lillian some of my favorite books are stand alones,but some are series like hunger games and harry potter.

message 7: by Kate, Young Adult Librarian (new)

Kate (katemcnair) | 58 comments Mod
I agree with Anna. I love series a lot. Waiting for the next Harry Potter was part of the fun of the series, speculating what it might bring. But with all the new books coming out, the first book has to be really awesome for me to remember the sequel when it comes out.

Perhaps publishers could appease all of us by not releasing series until all the books are out!

message 8: by Austin (new)

Austin (airjordan) | 22 comments I really like some stand-alone titles, but you just can't get to know characters as well as you can in a well-written series. I agree ^, I don't like the waiting so I tend to read more of series that are already completed.

message 9: by Elli (new)

Elli Jensen now thats like impossible to choose, I've read plenty of books that i think " hey, that was an awesome ending, i don't think they should write another one." then there are other times where authors leave you totally hanging, say they're gonna write a sequel and never do its so UGH!!! but sometimes i like that cause then i can try to make up how i think the author would've made the sequel.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 42 comments I would definitely say series because there's more time for the characters and plot to develop.

message 11: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Hay (jaimehay) | 17 comments I like series more I think, just because I have something to look forward to or I know what to read next. Sometimes there are just too many standalones I want to read and I can't choose, but if I am reading a series...I kinda have to read the next one or hate myself for not finishing it.