Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

Summer Reading June 4-10 > Katsa and Fire, two awesome heroines, who are your favorite literary heroines?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate, Young Adult Librarian (new)

Kate (katemcnair) | 58 comments Mod
Katniss goes without saying. And I have to say that Tris from Divergent and Insurgent is pretty awesome as well!

District2tribute | 25 comments I would pick Katniss everdeen because she is a very strong willed charecter who is very feminist and lives up to her fears

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) Katniss Everdeen and Maerad of Pellinor are my first two for very similar reasons. They are two teenage girls pushed beyond their limits, expected to be more than they think they can be, and they succeed. They have setbacks, they fall into depression, they get injured, they lose loved ones, yet they still continue to try to be themselves and do what they see to be the right thing.
Then there is Helen of Sparta (Nobody's Princess and Nobody's Prize). She doesn't want to be forced to accept that a princess must only weave, embroider, and marry. She knows she must marry, and accepts that. But she also doesn't want to be told, your a girl, so you can't run, hunt, ride a horse, fight, or go on an adventure. It's not easy, but she doesn't give up on the things she wants most in life.

message 4: by Austin (new)

Austin (airjordan) | 22 comments Katniss Everdeen definitely had some flaws and I was surprised at some of the things she thought(she was occasionally surprised, too), but I did like her as a whole with all her courage and perseverance, etc. I kind of liked Lucy from the Chronicles of Narnia, too.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) I agree that Katniss has her flaws, and freely admit she surprised me at some points, but I like a hero/heroine to have some flaws, otherwise they don't seem human enough. I think there's a delicate balance in making a hero above everyone else so that they are a hero, but at the same time flawed enough to be believable.

District2tribute | 25 comments i think everyone who has read the hunger games that they would say Katniss am I right

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 42 comments Katniss is definitely pretty cool. I would also say Bitterblue from Bitterblue and Tessa from Clockwork Angel.

Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Divergent (other topics)
Insurgent (other topics)