Relaxing Fun discussion

general > Movie is actually better than the book!!!!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I discovered that I like the movie Fried Green Tomatoes Way Better than the book! There are some gruesome parts and the book is even more gruesome!!!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessicaafrank) | 257 comments Mod
Strange, Alice. I enjoyed the book and never could totally relate it to the movie. I enjoyed the movie, but it was so different than the book. Perhaps that is why I never compared the two.

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena | 31 comments The Silence of the Lambs, probably thanks to Sir Anthony Hopkins.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Elena, Too scary for me. Jess

message 5: by Elena (new)

Elena | 31 comments In fact, it's one of the scariest movies I have ever seen.... But I like thrillers a lot! :)

message 6: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) Gorky Park was a very good book but I recall being pleasantly surprised that the movie was better: the ending in the movie worked better than the ending in the book. I think a lot of the credit for it being good was the clear juxtaposition of the Russian policeman and Lee Marvin as the greedy foreign agent of evil.
I have come to the conclusion that usually one cannot expect a good movie from a good book. If the movie does end up good, either the book has to be centered on a lot of action rather than dialogue, separations of which are easily discerned by the viewers, or else the complexity of the personalities has to be somewhat shallow.
Short stories, generally, make very good movies. I remember how bad Farewell to Arms was, despite the star appeal, and how good several of the movies made from H's early short stories were.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Rhonda wrote: "Gorky Park was a very good book but I recall being pleasantly surprised that the movie was better: the ending in the movie worked better than the ending in the book. I think a lot of the credit for..."

I read Gorky Park years ago. I can't remember much ofi it. You've made me rather curious about the movie.

message 8: by Dallas (new)

Dallas | 79 comments Mod
"The Bridges of Madison County" was a better movie than book. "Dolores Claiborne" was equally as good as the book. I could be bias to Meryl Streep and Kathy Bates, though.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Dallas wrote: ""The Bridges of Madison County" was a better movie than book. "Dolores Claiborne" was equally as good as the book. I could be bias to Meryl Streep and Kathy Bates, though."

I am biased here, Dallas. I actually have family near Winterset, IA, (where it is set) and have seen the bridges. I thought the book was okay. I liked the movie mostly because I recognized all of the places.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't say I liked some movie better than the book... though Series of Unfortonate Events was good...