Basically Books! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Former Group Read Suggestions > August Suggestions - Non - English

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (last edited Jun 04, 2012 01:33PM) (new)

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1628 comments Mod
We're running two themes each month. The themes are picked at random. Non - English was the first theme picked.

Please suggest any books that fit the Non- English genre. If the book is available for 10€ (13 US dollars) or less on The Book Depository it will be in the running. (Both indie and traditional work here).

Keep in mind that if you suggest a title that has already been read as a group read then your suggestion will be ignored.

Over to you!

message 2: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Just to be clear, Non-English(English takes a capital E, Tara) means that the original language that the book was written in should be any language other than English. The book must, however, be available in English as well.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinreve) | 14 comments Perfume The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind
"Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Suskind

-OR-

The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1) by Boris Akunin
"The Winter Queen" by Boris Akunin

message 4: by Charina (new)

Charina (charinathebookkeeper) | 15 comments The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

message 5: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 16 comments I can suggest a translated book from the Philippines - Orosa-Nakpil, Malate

or Stupeur et tremblements or Fear and Trembling

and Madame Rosa by Emile Ajar

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:17AM) (new)

Ashley (ashleyc29) | 32 comments How about:

Blindness by José Saramago Blindness
1Q84  by Haruki Murakami 1Q84

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Every Man Dies Alone (also known as Alone in Berlin)

message 8: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
The Cardinal's Blades by Pierre Pevel - French fantasy. ;)

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch

The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah

The Last Wish (The Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski

I've got more upstairs but I think that will do...

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana Delamar (danadelamar) | 4 comments Erin wrote: "[bookcover:Perfume: The Story of a Murderer]
"Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Suskind

-OR-

The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1) by Boris Akunin
"The Winter Queen" by Boris Akunin"

Ooh! I second "Perfume." It's been ages since I've read this one, and it was great.

message 10: by Olga (new)

message 11: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Nemesis by Jo Nesbø

Originally written in Norwegian.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinreve) | 14 comments Olga wrote: "How about The Master and Margarita?"

Ooh! Good one!

I also remembered

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

message 13: by Olga (new)

Olga Godim (olgagodim) | 51 comments Erin wrote: "Olga wrote: "How about The Master and Margarita?"

Ooh! Good one!

I also remembered The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera"

I would second this one. It's in my to-read list. I think it's a very good novel.

message 14: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 56 comments THE MASTER AND MARGARITA is a masterpiece, one of my favoutire novels. Sad that it was not published until 27 years after the author's death aged 49. He was so depressed at his work's suppression in Stalinist Russia, he burned the manuscript. Only to rewrite it from memory, correcting it on his deathbed, dictating corrections to his wife after he went blind. And he entered the line in the rewritten text: "Manuscripts don't burn."

Another of my favourite novels is the 1890 Norwegian psychological novel, HUNGER, by Knut Hamsun, his debut novel aged 30.

message 15: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Todos los fuegos el fuego by Julio Cortázar by Julio Cortazar (all the fires the fire). Argentinian author.

La última niebla by Maria Luisa Bombal by Maria Luisa Bombal (THe house of Mist). Chilean author (and she's good! I usually hate chilean literature but I really like her).

I feel ashamed. I come from a non-english speaking country and no authors come to my mind :P

message 16: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1628 comments Mod
Thank you all for your suggestions. This topic is now locked. The poll will be up shortly

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.