Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

General Discussions > The great uncollected

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments For so many reasons, some stories originally published in magazine format never get collected. Or, if collected, are now long out of print.

So, if you could wave the wand and surmount the hurdles (legal, logistical, practical, otherwise) that keep those from gracing the shelves, what collections would you like to see in print?

For me:

Elementals (what collections there were are OOP)
Dynamo Joe
Wasteland (the 80s DC anthology title)
Justice Machine
Human Fly (even a B&W Essentials would be fine)
Futurians

And Marvel/Disney needs to reprint and complete the various CrossGen collections.

In checking titles for this, I found Dark Horse has reprinted one that I was going to include here: The Amazon. Great early Tim Sale art.

message 2: by Jaime (last edited Jun 04, 2012 10:44AM) (new)

Jaime | 20 comments Alan Moore's 1963.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments For these purposes, magazine=any slim-form serial format. Comic, magazine, monthly, quarterly, etc.

The various stories from Epic would be cool, as well as some of the b&w Marvel mags from the 70s.

message 4: by Elissa (new)

Elissa Ferguson | 28 comments Things that have been collected but the collections that are also out of print: Miracleman, Ms. Tree, and XXXenophile.
As for things that never have been collected, L.E.G.I.O.N., most of the Post Crisis Superman books, US 1, ROM, the Ultraverse books, even in this age of nearly everything being traded I could still probably go on for days about all the awesome uncollected stuff...

message 5: by Wesley (new)

Wesley (wgk333) | 119 comments I would like to see a complete collection of Zenith an early series in 2000AD from Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell. There has been collections of the individual phases but these too are out of print.

Andy Helfer's run on The Shadow in the 80s deserves a wider audience but will probably never happen given the circumstances of the ending of the series.

message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Dark Horse has been publishing collections of old Gold Key comics for the past few years. I have a few, like Occult Files of Doctor Spektor and Flash Gordon. But what I would really love to see would be the Twilight Zone. The original tv series is my favorite and the comics just look like a lot of fun.

message 7: by Elissa (new)

Elissa Ferguson | 28 comments There's also so much underground stuff that's gone uncollected that probably won't ever get done. There's most of Crumb, Spiegelman, and Deitch stuff collected, but Dan O'Neill, Jay Lynch and especially most of the gay and women's underground works are all uncollected.

message 8: by Bob (new)

Bob | 12 comments Shang-Chi The Master of Kung Fu by Marvel Comics. There was some great writing on that comic book and also the Starman introduced by DC Comics in 1988 and ran thru 1992 featuring Will Payton as the Hero.

message 9: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (dominickgrace) | 166 comments Chester Brown's Gospel adaptations from Yummy Fur and Underwater--and Underwater, for that matter, though neither that series nor the Gospel adaptations were actually completed.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments I love that Eerie, Creepy and Vampirella, as well as Creepy Presnts Wrightson & Corben books have been published, I wish they would give the same treatment to The Rook

One that HAS been collected as a TPB, but deserves a Deluxe Hardcover is Superman: Secret Identity

Of course the Moore/Gaiman Miracleman books deserve an "Absolute" treatment.

I recently read that Dave Sim had struck a deal with (?) to have all his Cerebus covers re-printed in a single volume... so, I'm very much looking forward to that.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Raining | 4 comments Unfortunately, several of the books on these lists (Rom, Miracleman, Zenith, CrossGen books) have reasons beyond our control keeping them out of print.

There are several DC books that I'd like to see printed from the same period as The Shadow; Marty Pasko and Rick Burkett's Blackhawk springs immediately to mind. I was also actually just talking to Paul Guinan, artist about the short-lived comic Chronos) at the New York Comic Con about how much I'd like to see a collection of that. Considering how DC just collected a similar series from that period, Chase, I'm hopeful.

And I'd REALLY like to see the final collection of Peter Milligan's incredible Human Target come out!

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana | 13 comments About 9 years ago there was a series called Girls, by the Lunas brothers I think. The art was awesome, the story pretty cool. I would love to see it brought together.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) My great sought-after: The Silent Invasion.

There was a reprint several years ago, but even that seems to be long gone.

message 14: by Mikael (new)

Mikael (mikaelronnback) These are the ones I'd really like to see
1. Richard Corben's "Last Voyage of Sindbad"
2. "Blue", not sure who the author was, it ran as a series in Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant many years ago.
3. Mercenario/The Mercenary, the whole series by Segrelles reprinted on quality print and in right sequential order.
4. And last but not least, all the "missing" Enki Bilal stories in English, all my French, German and Danish editions are nice to look at but hard to read, (and I'm even missing one out-of-print album completely, not found it in any language yet).

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments Mikael wrote: 1. Richard Corben's "Last Voyage of Sindbad"

Last Voyage of Sinbad was collected under Heavy Metal Presents New Tales of the Arabian Nights in 1975.
I also believe it was collected as The Last Voyage of Sinbad by Richard Corben a while later

message 16: by Mikael (new)

Mikael (mikaelronnback) Thanks, I know Corben's story was collected, it's just really hard to find (or at least I haven't managed), so a reprint would be very nice if it would ever happen.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments Mikael wrote: "Thanks, I know Corben's story was collected, it's just really hard to find (or at least I haven't managed), so a reprint would be very nice if it would ever happen."

After making a search on both titles, bookfinder.com has about 60 copies available starting at aroud $30 if you're interested.

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments Oh, and Matt Wagner's Demon mini-series from the 1980s.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I know it was mentioned already above, but I'm thinking Rom would be a great collection for the classics.

message 20: by Sean (new)

Sean Brennan | 12 comments I have just read the original Shade the Changing Man. Art by Ditko fantastic series only 9 issues which can be picked up for a song. The only comics I've read where the action moves along in real time, giving different perspectives at the same moment. Far better than the usual dross that DC was printing during the late 70's.