Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > Is it worth buying a Kindle?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) I've just re lived my love of books however my brother suggested I should get a kindle but I wanted to know whether its value for money and if you have to buy the books when you download them.

message 2: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments It depends where you live, how many books you read, what kind of books you read and how much you spend on books.

Yes, you have to buy the books when you download them from a book selling site although some books can be lent once. If you live in the US though, most libraries have a Kindle lending section where you can request ebooks. My first suggestion is for you to check your library and see what is their ebook selection.

Depending on the genres that you read, there are tons of decent books out there for less than $3.99 but most best sellers sell from $6.99-$12.99.

message 3: by Beckie (new)

Beckie (chikittie) | 12 comments I know I love my Kindle. I so enjoy borrowing book for my Kindle from my library and there are always so many free e-books too. :)

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) I live in the UK and I don't know anything about Kindles and it would be helpful if you could tell me all about them xx

message 5: by Mary C (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:26PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments It really depends on what you read and where you are. I don't know how it is in the UK. But here in the US there are a lot of free and cheap ebooks for the Kindle. But they're mostly older books, unknown/lesser know authors and public domain classics. The big best sellers and books by the big publishers and big time authors are usually expensive in ebook format. Also here in the US, some ebooks are lendable 1 time and there are ebook trading sites to lend and borrow books.

I didn't think I would get an ereader for a long time. You don't really own the books, you can't sell or trade them when I done. I trade my print books on book trading sites. But my library finally started acquiring a decent ebook collection (4,000+ now). I started with a Kindle for PC app and downloading freebies. I'm lucky in that I can read at work and the Kindle makes it much easier. No embarrassing book covers to worry about, I can take hundreds of books with me in one little device and I don't have to worry about bookmarks if I have to put the book down and answer the phone. Plus there were ebook only shorts coming out related to series I'm reading.

They're darn handy if you travel a lot or have no easy way of getting print books. They're also great if you have reread a lot or have a very small space to store books.

I still prefer print but the Kindle is a nice compliment to print books.

message 6: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments It took me a while to adjust to reading on an ereader compared to a paperback - it's a bit harder to flick backwards and forward and sometimes you lose a bit of formatting if you go with an ereader (not sure about Kindle). But from a convenience perspective, you just can't beat having so many of your books on one device.

I have a Sony eReader, but I've thought seriously about buying a Kindle as well. Kindle read pdf as well as the Kindle format, so you can buy from a variety of publishers, not just Amazon.

Some basic thoughts:
*eReader screens are designed so that you can read in the sun (don't think it is like a laptop).
*You need a light if you are reading at night.
*Formatting can disappear or not be as well set up as a paperback - often you loose formatting that would otherwise indicate that a new section of a chapter has started.
*Page numbers vary compared to paperback versions (similar to the differences to hardback)
*Amazon often have freebies I believe
*You should be able to borrow from ppl in other countries (but as I don't have a Kindle, I'm not the best person to advise on this)
*If you get a Kindle with wifi you can download books from anywhere with an internet connection

message 7: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2012 07:10PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments One of the biggest advantages for me was the access to digital library books - unfortunately Kindle books aren't yet available through the public libraries in the UK, that is limited to the US only at this point. If that is something that interests you, you might want to look into one of the other readers out there that work with the epub format - that would give you library access, but you would lose some of the advantages of having Amazon as a source for your books. It's a definite trade-off, but might be worth looking into if library access is something you think you would use.

message 8: by Jojo (new)

Jojo | 1010 comments I'm based in the UK and I love my kindle.

While you can't borrow books from the library over here there are a lot of cheap and free books available on Amazon. I usually download at least a couple every day and while some of them aren't good and a few are even awful I have had some fantastic books that I would never have looked at if I had to buy them and have encouraged me to download the rest of a series or more books from the same author, which I suppose is the point.

I have the keyboard Wi-fi/3G version that uses the mobile 3G network when you're not on a Wi-fi signal - it works to download but is a bit slower.

I also have the kindle case with in-built light from Amazon, it is more expensive but I love having the light there to read in a darker room without a bright light on.

message 9: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (bookcrazy47) | 203 comments description

I love my kindle! I live in Sweden and it works great (although the books are a little bit more expensive if you live in Europe).

I have the small one (Wifi, 6" E Ink Display) and it fits my paperback case perfectly. I was a bit worried that I would lose some "feeling" reading on the kindle and in the beginning I bought some books but nowadays I prefer reading on my kindle. The main pro is that I can decide what I want to read now and have it instantly. I always check out samples first and I think I actually save money since I don't stock up on books that I never read.

I also have a pretty big phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) so I use the kindle app on that one and read there as well - and all devices sync to each other so I can read on my kindle, then read on my phone to work and then read on my kindle when I get back.

Pros:
1. I can read whatever I want whenever I want
2. When you go on trips - 150 g and you can bring your whole library
3. You can mark, highlight and put bookmarks without ruining the books
4. All books are in the cloud so I can read on my phone, computer or kindle and they sync to each other
5. The environment (?) - it feels like it's better than buying hundreds of books you read once

Cons:
1. The books are a bit expensive (some are actually more expensive than paperbacks)
2. Sometimes it is to easy to get a new book (when I should be doing laundry or some other household chore I end up reading)

message 10: by Russ (new)

Russ King (russwrites) I'm the sort of person who loves books shops and the smell and feel of real books, but then I realised that I only tend to buy the cheap paperbacks anyway. Also, as an indie writer a whole new opportunity opened up to me and I have published my latest novel on Amazon.

Of course, now I've had to buy a Kindle(!)and I've been very impressed with it. It is easier on the eyes than a book and lighter, and I can snuggle up to my wife and read when she's gone to sleep without my arm going numb through holding a book!

I'm in the UK and we can't borrow Kindles yet but I've been having great fun reading novels from fellow indie writers that I chat with on Twitter etc. They tend to be cheap but so far all the books I've read have been high-quality books. It's fun to see parts of the writer's personality that you recognise in the books.

It's an interesting time in publishing as the main publishers are keeping the prices of their ebooks high because they have overheads (staff, buildings) but this doesn't seem fair to the readers so I think a compromise will be reached soon.

You can also get free books and free short stories from indie authors who want you to discover them.

I still enjoy reading 'proper' books and I like to see them on my shelves but the Kindle is a fab bit of kit and I am using it more and more. I highly recommend it.

message 11: by Sha Mslvoe (new)

Sha Mslvoe (mslvoe) | 32 comments If you ask me, it's worth every penny. I live in Malaysia and as you know I can't buy anything from Amazon.

But I can buy from Smashwords, Allromanceebooks, Kobo and Booksonboard (using my US friend's address). I love my e-reader. I love how I can bring my entire library when I travel. I still buy paperback, only from my favourite authors.

Last time, I vowed to myself that I won't buy e-reader. But my friend in GR suggested to me, and here I am, so addicted to my e-reader. Try and you gonna love it.

message 12: by Tania (new)

Tania | 644 comments If you want to trial eBooks and have a smart phone (e.g. iPhone) you can trial reading on it through apps (kindle, kobo, ibooks etc). That will give you an idea if you are going to enjoy reading ebooks. Once you've decided that you can decide on an ereader to get.

One thing I would add to all the other points people have added is that it's really important to hold the ebook reader you're going to buy. I ended up getting the smaller Sony ereader with a touch screen because the larger ones were uncomfortable to hold one handed.

I'm a gadget junkie and have been fully converted to the cult of mac so I have books on a number of devices which helps satisfy my need to have a number of books available to read at any time.

My library back home has overdrive. It's really easy for me to borrow books on my iPod touch / iPhone / iPad.

If you've never trialled ebooks before and don't have any of the above I would probably get an iPod touch or an iPhone first. My reasoning is this... if you don't know if you'll like reading in ebook format the device can be used for other purposes. I know quite a few people who have gotten ereaders and have barely used them because the don't like the feel of reading from them. It's a lot of money to spend if you're not certain how much you are going to use it.

The main thing people will point out is that reading on the e-ink screens is so much easier on your eyes and I'm not disputing that at all. However unless you're going to put in a lot of hours in a row you won't have an issue on a backlit screen. I use my iPad to read on for hours at a time due to my work and got the e-reader to give my eyes a rest when I'm not working.

I also like not being restricted to amazon books. They're usually more expensive that other book stores and often, being from Australia, licensing restrictions mean that book releases can be delayed or not available at all.

Hope this helps.

message 13: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 280 comments I absolutely love my Kindle Fire. I went with the fire because it does so much more than just a reader.

I can down load other apps to it. I have audible and overdrive on there so I can listen to books while doing housework. On car trips my kids play math games or angry birds.

Borrowing from the library is super easy on it. I belong to 3 different libraries (one isn't even local anymore) just to be able to download books from them.

A lot of groups have a thread where some amazing person takes their time daily to list out free books of the day from amazon.

I am a cheepskate I'll be the first to admit it. One of the biggest selling points of the kindle over the nook to me was that I use swagbucks as my search engine. It is free and works just like google or bing but you earn points from your searches. You can then redeem those points for amazon gift cards. I have only had my Kindle for 8 months but I have probably only spent $30 of actual money on books because of all the freebies and gift cards.

I also bought a cover for mine that opens like a book so I can hold it like a book if I want.

I do sometimes miss that paper and ink smell... and page numbers. Most e-books don't have real page numbers, just % done.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky Wallace (rswallace) | 1 comments Best purchase I've made! I couldn't stand to part from my Kindle.

Lauren (aplpeach) (aplpeach) | 176 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "I absolutely love my Kindle Fire. I went with the fire because it does so much more than just a reader.

I can down load other apps to it. I have audible and overdrive on there so I can listen to ..."

I have one for sale if yo are interested

Lauren (aplpeach) (aplpeach) | 176 comments Tanya wrote: "I've just re lived my love of books however my brother suggested I should get a kindle but I wanted to know whether its value for money and if you have to buy the books when you download them."

Yes, you have to buy the books. Its like buying a paperback or hardback book. they are generally a little cheaper for the kindle and sometimes you can get books for free or for .99 cents. I am selling a kindle if you are really interested in getting one. Its the Kindle DX, on amazon its 379. I am selling it for 180...that price includes, shipping, a case/cover for it and booklight. If you want e-mail me at laurenrdavis84@hotmail.com

message 17: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments I've got the Sony T1 and absolutely love it. It's the lightest ebook reader available and I love the interface. I can download directly from the library (libraries here in Canada don't support kindle), Sony store or kobo. It uses epub format so I can use a wide variety of stores. I also know how to remove drm and convert ebooks to a different format. So in case I can find a book only on Amazon I can download it with kindle for pc and then remove drm and convert it to epub. A great website for all things ebook is mobileread.com.

To decide if you should get a kindle or another ebook reader look up the different book stores like amazon, kobo or sony store and see who carries the kind of books you like and for what prices. I actually found kobo had books sometimes cheaper than amazon plus they have a lot of

message 18: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments Katharina wrote: "I've got the Sony T1 and absolutely love it. It's the lightest ebook reader available and I love the interface. I can download directly from the library (libraries here in Canada don't support kind..."

I have a Sony as well Katharina - can I buy from Kobo or is that just the T1 that works for Kobo? I didn't think I could go there... I can't buy from Sony US ('cos I'm in Australia) so maybe that is also the case for Kobo :(

message 19: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments You can still buy from Kobo. Just download the Adobe drm version. I just downloaded "Promise of the Rose" by Brenda Joyce a few minutes ago and it was cheaper at Kobo than at Amazon.

Which Sony do you have Jane?

Some links for you:
Where can I buy e-books in Australia? The page is a year old but I think it's still valid. It does include Amazon which you can only use if you learn how to remove drm.

KoboBooks.com Discount Codes Not all of these will work for you since they are sometimes country specific and they don't work with any agency books.

message 20: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments Katharina wrote: "You can still buy from Kobo. Just download the Adobe drm version. I just downloaded "Promise of the Rose" by Brenda Joyce a few minutes ago and it was cheaper at Kobo than at Amazon.

Which Sony d..."

I have the PRS 650...

Off to check out your links - Thanks Katharina!

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments I am finding some books only available on amazon and some only for kobo, and then again some epub only, I'm in Australia. I want an ereader, I was leaning towards kindle, but this problem makes it hard to decide on which one to buy as I don't want to limit my book availability! Suggestions??

message 22: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments Hi Jessica - I'm in Australia as well :) I have a Sony eReader and buy all my books in ePub from places like Fictionwise, Books on Board and All Romance. BUT - in retrospect, I think the Kindle would have been fine and I could have bought from all the places I listed but in pdf format... I didn't realise at the time that the Kindle reads pdf.

By going Kindle, you could then pick and choose AND take advantage of the lending facility AND the specials as they pop up on Amazon :)

message 23: by Tania (new)

Tania | 644 comments Sony eReader's the way to go in Australia. I don't have issues getting epubs and it works with Calibre without have to hack it (which I would have no idea how to do anyway).

The other option is an iPad. This depends really on how much you want to spend and how much time and in what conditions you read. I do all of my work/uni reading on my iPad because I can highlight and annotate. I got the sony eReader to give my eyes a bit of a rest and my favourite place to curl up and read a book is outside in the sun.

Library lending is really simple on an iPad as well.

message 24: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "BUT - in retrospect, I think the Kindle would have been fine and I could have bought from all the places I listed but in pdf format... I didn't realise at the time that the Kindle reads pdf"

Please avoid buying pdf format for a 6" reader whenever you can. It reads fine on an ipad or other 10" tablet but on a 6" it usually looks terrible because the formatting gets all screwed up. Also pdf is the worst format to convert from.

I have a Sony T1 and I can still download kindle books. I use Kindle for PC. I buy the book and open it in kindle for pc. Then add the book (which is located in the Documents folder in sub-folder "My Kindle Content") to calibre which I have set up to remove drm with a plugin. Use calibre to convert and transfer to my Sony and voila.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (tinareads101) I have one toshiba tablet which i use like e-reader and other things,but one think i think ,and it´s really bad it´s when i put the tablet from up do down,the tablet dont "save" the page where i was and i need found the page again,it´s really boring

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments Katharina wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "BUT - in retrospect, I think the Kindle would have been fine and I could have bought from all the places I listed but in pdf format... I didn't realise at the time that the Kindle..."

OK - I'm going to have to get that Calibre plug-in! Regardless of the fact that my mother has just bought me a Kindle for my birthday (the very basic version). Yes - I'm spoilt ;) But in my defence, I read a LOT. It's my hobby, after all. :)

It'll be interesting to see what I think of Kindle - 'cos I LOVE my Sony...

message 27: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments Valentina wrote: "I have one toshiba tablet which i use like e-reader and other things,but one think i think ,and it´s really bad it´s when i put the tablet from up do down,the tablet dont "save" the page where i wa..."

It's a pain when that happens. I'm fine with my eReader, but some audiobooks often restart on my iPod without my permission! I haven't yet worked out it's finer operating processes.

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna | 3 comments oh yes, if I hadn't got my kindle I would have missed out on a lot of great authors.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Mine was worth every penny. I have quadrupled the number of books that I read since getting my Kindle and been introduced to countless new authors.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy Hanson (aahanson) | 1 comments I absolutely love my Kindle!!!!!

message 31: by Katharina (last edited Aug 10, 2012 04:32PM) (new)

Katharina | 802 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "OK - I'm going to have to get that Calibre plug-in! Regardless of the fact that my mother has just bought me a Kindle for my birthday (the very basic version). Yes - I'm spoilt ;) But in my defence, I read a LOT. It's my hobby, after all. :)

It'll be interesting to see what I think of Kindle - 'cos I LOVE my Sony... "

I did another tweak on calibre so the "Books" list on the Sony T1 displays series info (series name and number) and sorts the authors by last name first. This is how my T1 displays the book list:

The Return of Rafe MacKade
Roberts, Nora - The MacKade Brothers 01.0
The Pride of Jared MacKade
Roberts, Nora - The MacKade Brothers 02.0

You can define how many spaces and decimals you want to use for the series.

I too LOVE My Sony. I did look at kindle touch also, but I prefer the sony because it also has physical buttons along with the touchscreen. I like to read in the tub and these touchscreens don't work when put in a ziploc bag, so I have to use the buttons to navigate the book). And I love the interface on Sony more. It's so easy to navigate with the scroll bar.

Oh and I heard rumors that new kindles are coming out next week and Sony T2 should also come out in the next few weeks.

message 32: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments Katharina wrote: "I like to read in the tub and these touchscreens don't work when put in a ziploc bag, so I have to use the buttons to navigate the book)..."

LOL - I hadn't thought to do that! *Hmmm - I guess I can't anyway, 'cos we no longer have a tub...*

When I get some time (hopefully later next week) I'll investigate these Calibre options. Thanks Katharina! :) (I might PM you if I have difficulty, if that's OK?)

message 33: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments @Jane.

Sure. I can send you some links that helped me a lot.

message 34: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments That would be great Katharina! Thanks :)

message 35: by Patrice (new)

Patrice (njbooklover) | 25 comments I have a Kindle 3G that I received as a Christmas gift in 2009 and I LOVE it. So I think a Kindle is worth it as long as it has the options you want. I do not have a tablet or smartphone, so for me it is a good fit, for other folks, maybe not so much....

message 36: by Tania (new)

Tania | 644 comments Further reports on ereader brands - I have a friend who has a Kobo reader and she hasn't had any issues buying books etc here. I checked out their iPad app and it's a really great interface (better than iBooks IMO). You can download free books right from the front screen.

I'll back up Katharina on the Sony and the really easy integration with calibre. There's also a plug in which lets me set the three books on the front screen. Really useful with challenges/bookclub/series reads etc.

I went with the smaller sony ereader because it is really really comfortable to hold in my smaller hands. Something to consider if you at all do long reading sessions. Oh and ditto having the option to use buttons I keep my ereader in a ziplock bag when I go to the beach etc.

message 37: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I have the least expensive version of the kindle and love it. Amazon has so many free books available.

message 38: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments Sony came out with the new T2 yesterday. So far I haven't seen any new feature that would make me want to upgrade from my T1. I'm glad they did away with the shiny bezel though.

message 39: by Angela (new)

Angela (lala75) | 54 comments Hi, I live in the uk and I love my kindle! Don't get me wrong - I still love picking up a "proper" book - however there is so much choice - free books, cheap books - that I find I'm reading books I probably wouldn't have read if I had to buy them. I have also read more over the holidays as I didn't have to pack loads of books to take on the plane - I even downloaded some on the hotel's wifi!

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 118 comments I love Kindle! I started out with the K2 in 2009 & then switched to the K-Touch with the lighted cover last year.

Right after the new Kindles were announced, I broke down & pre-ordered the Paperwhite wi-fi w/special offers with the new wake-up cover. Couldn't help myself, I love the new features & figured that I have 30 days to see if it's worth keeping it. :)

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments I hadn't realised they were releasing a new version, so I bought a basic one in early August. But so far I find it very easy to use. But I also have a Sony which I love...

I'm basically going to use my Kindle for books that I can't get from my main online places (predominantly Fictionwise) - I'll then check my options at Amazon against All Romance etc and go with whichever suits me best at the time.

I'm managing my libraries in Calibre and so far I haven't lost track of which book is where :)

Amber .:★Wild Heart Reviews★:. (amberlu) | 7 comments I love love love my Kindle. I had a first gen one, not even sure what you'd call it, as soon as they came out. Been using it since. Recently got a Kindle Fire, still adjusting but I like it. I can say.. the $69 Kindle.. stays charged a LOT longer if your Wifi is off. I charged mine maybe once every 4 to 6 weeks. Seriously.

I used to religiously go every other Friday and raid the book store, would come home with at least 10 books every time. I've spent a lot less on books also (I find most of mine, if not all of them, for free.) and I don't have them piled all over my room now. So another plus is more space! I know it won't apply to everyone, but if you live in a rural area, trips to the book store can get expensive. So.. more to love about it. Downside, I do miss the feel of a book in my hands, but.. you get past that.

Anyway, the Kindle and the Kindle Fire set up the same way. Only, in the Kindle Fire you have a place for Books and a place for Documents. Anything that is a PDF, lit, txt file.. so on and so forth goes under that, but you can also use azw files on it, and your covers of your books will show up on a book shelf. The old Kindle gives you a listing. I haven't figured out yet how to make shelves or folders on it yet, I'm not sure if you can. You can old the older Kindles. Also there is a difference in the back lighting. The KF, I can read in the dark, the older Kindle, I couldn't. Meaning, one has a backlight, the other.. doesn't. But it's MUCH easier to read outside with the old one, no glare. KF also supports movies, music, photos, the internet in full (on the old Kindle this was experimental.), has gaming apps that you'd use on FB, places like that. I'd come close to comparing the KF with an iPad, only not.. and cheaper.

As for reading on it, I can't complain. I miss my page buttons and have to tap instead but.. it works!

Also a huge fan of Calibre to work with it. It's awesome!

message 43: by Makenzie (new)

Makenzie (makenziefay) | 496 comments Wooooo Just bought a Kindle Fire HD!! I have a Nook, which has a ton of books, but lately I've also been dowloading a lot of free books to my Kindle on PC. Since I just found out I'm going back up to Canada for 6 months in a couple weeks, I figured it would be worth getting the Kindle so I wouldn't have to read all those books off of my laptop and make travelling easier. Yay!! I can't wait!

message 44: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments I have a Kindle Keyboard and just got a new Fire. I love them both. I know it seems stupid to have 2 but I have eye-strain issues and need an e-ink screen for reading. I got the Fire for games for DD, videos and magazines. I also have a bunch of audible books and put the audible app on there and can listen to those on it as well.

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments Question?

I thought I saw somewhere that Amazon charge 10 cents (or something) to hold a book purchased from another site (eg Fictionwise) in your account cloud for Kindle. Eg if emailed from FW to Amazon in Kindle format, there is a charge.

Is this right?

Amber .:★Wild Heart Reviews★:. (amberlu) | 7 comments I'm actually not sure about that Jane. Crazy as it may sound, I've never once bought an ebook from Amazon, or had them switched. I just download them onto my comp and then put them on my Kindle. Hopefully someone else will know?

message 47: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19628 comments Thanks Amber. I looked just before and it says they DO charge 15 cents, but I've moved a few books to the Amazon cloud from FW and I'm sure they haven't charged me...

Maybe someone else will know...

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments they charge if you email to the book to yourself - its 15c per MB - unless they have changed it to using the cloud for storage

message 49: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1099 comments I emailed some books to myself and was never charged anything.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i think if it only hits the 1MB and you use the 3G option - if you use wireless it never charges you - I can count on one hand the number of times I have been charged

« previous 1