The Teen Debaters discussion

Political > Global Warming: Real or Not

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) What is your opinion

message 3: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) The earth goes through natural cycles of warming and cooling. Global warming is a natural process, however the effects that humans have had on our planet is speeding up the normal cycle

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah...I definitely agree that global warming is real and a problem. There's a lot of scientific data supporting it, and simple observations too.

message 5: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) It's real, obviously. However, people thinking it's completely unnatural--it isn't. We have added to the mess, but the earth naturally goes through cycles. Climate change can cause mass extinctions, however. It's almost like the earth's way to getting rid of the extra species and keeping the healthiest.
I am NOT saying it is good. But it will happen whether we like it or not.
Now, everyone should really lower their carbon footprint. But global warming's gonna shove it's way in here no matter what we do. We're only speeding up the process.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree with Libby.

Of course it's a natural cycle (the Ice Age would be a good example of something like this), but we've speeded it up to an alarming rate. The Ice Age took 400 years to completely go into affect. Global Warming became a noticeable problem in around 50.

message 7: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "I completely agree with Libby.

Of course it's a natural cycle (the Ice Age would be a good example of something like this), but we've speeded it up to an alarming rate. The Ice Age took 400 years..."

Thank you!!
Yeah, you're totally right. :D

☆Meredith (メルたん)♪ (punkwayistheonlyway) I agree that there is some "global warming" going on, however, firstly the name is pretty off. It should be called "global cooling". lol. However, I think it's a bit selfish to say that we humans are the cause of it. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do all we can to help the environment, but the earth goes through a natural process. Think, Ice Age anyone? Our contributions are not what's causing global warming, and unfortunately there are a lot of scientists who are trying to make money by saying otherwise.

Fun Fact: Most of the earth's oxygen comes from where? Answer, plankton in the ocean. If all of the trees on the earth where cut down, the oxygen level on earth would probably still be able to sustain itself. HOWEVER, if people keep polluting our ocean, they're depleting our oxygen supply. So, more important than saving the trees (although we want to do that too to protect ecosystems and animal life) and going "green", we should be going "blue"! :D

message 9: by An (new)

An Meredith~chan wrote: "I agree that there is some "global warming" going on, however, firstly the name is pretty off. It should be called "global cooling". lol. However, I think it's a bit selfish to say that we humans a..."

Agree.
But going green is still important, especially saving rainforests. Species are going extinct. And there is something beautiful about forests. They are worth protecting.
Also buying green, not only saves green. It keeps our earth cleaner, and that's good whether a dirty earth is dangerous or not. Plus, to top it off, green products are usually safer than unnatural stuff.

☆Meredith (メルたん)♪ (punkwayistheonlyway) Bryn wrote: "Meredith~chan wrote: "I agree that there is some "global warming" going on, however, firstly the name is pretty off. It should be called "global cooling". lol. However, I think it's a bit selfish t..."

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we shouldn't "go green", however I think a good deal of people are missing the bigger picture here, claiming that losing the trees will leave the earth without oxygen. People should check their facts more often ^__^

message 11: by An (new)

An Meredith~chan wrote: "Bryn wrote: "Meredith~chan wrote: "I agree that there is some "global warming" going on, however, firstly the name is pretty off. It should be called "global cooling". lol. However, I think it's a ..."

Checking facts often is defiantly a good thing. Essential, actually.

☆Meredith (メルたん)♪ (punkwayistheonlyway) Bryn wrote: "Meredith~chan wrote: "Bryn wrote: "Meredith~chan wrote: "I agree that there is some "global warming" going on, however, firstly the name is pretty off. It should be called "global cooling". lol. Ho..."

:)

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments I agree with everyone here. The earth does go through various heating and cooling cycles, it's just that us humans are speeding things up a little.

message 14: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Meredith~chan wrote: "I agree that there is some "global warming" going on, however, firstly the name is pretty off. It should be called "global cooling". lol. However, I think it's a bit selfish to say that we humans a..."

Global cooling? We aren't going thru an ice age...

☆Meredith (メルたん)♪ (punkwayistheonlyway) Libby wrote: "Meredith~chan wrote: "I agree that there is some "global warming" going on, however, firstly the name is pretty off. It should be called "global cooling". lol. However, I think it's a bit selfish t..."

No and the earth isn't getting any hotter either....

☆Meredith (メルたん)♪ (punkwayistheonlyway) At least not dramatically :)

message 17: by Nifty (new)

Nifty | 35 comments I think, yes, the earth goes through natural heating/cooling cycles, but the impact humans have made is undeniable. I don't think you have to be a conservationist to think it's important, because the planet's not going to die if we mess our environment up–humans will.

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia  (juliavdc) | 54 comments I agree with Libby.

I do acknowledge that it exists, and is a problem, but I don't believe it's as big of a problem that the government makes it out to be.
The Earth does go through cycles. I mean, how many ice ages and droughts has the world suffered through? Even before humans!

I think there was a huge scandal in England or in Europe somewhere, where scientists tampered with evidence and concocted stories about global warming that weren't true.

I do agree we should decrease our carbon footprints.

message 19: by Pebbles (new)

Pebbles | 29 comments It is vary real an human caused, the ice caps are melting at rates never before recorded and yes the earth goes through climate shifts but they are so minimal that they are almost not even recoded