The Teen Debaters discussion

Religion > Life After Death?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Do you believe in a life after death? Why?

message 2: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Yes, God promises a life after death. It's where your soul goes after life has ended. To Hell or Heaven.

message 3: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Life after death is a contradiction. Without death, there is no life so the suggestion of a life absent of death would withdraw it as a "life" or "existence" as all things must come to an end.
Without death, there cannot be life just as without life there cannot be death.
Now, being a Wiccan it is traditionally said that: "Despite some belief therein, Wicca does not place an emphasis on the afterlife, focusing instead on the current one; as the historian Ronald Hutton remarked, "the instinctual position of most [Wiccans], therefore, seems to be that if one makes the most of the present life, in all respects, then the next life is more or less certainly going to benefit from the process, and so one may as well concentrate on the present."
Which is a statement I completely and unequivocally back.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think of reincarnation most of the time. But I'm honestly not sure. It's not my right to judge. I wish we could just go to a gate, and some dude would be like, "What world would you like to live in?" and then you can scream stuff like, "The Pokemon universe!", or, "Hogwarts!". You know, fun stuff like that.

I would throw a temper tantrum if I was born back onto this awful planet again. -_-

Mary *TheBigBangTheory* *I love Louis!* | 417 comments Libby wrote: "Life after death is a contradiction. Without death, there is no life so the suggestion of a life absent of death would withdraw it as a "life" or "existence" as all things must come to an end.
Wit..."

Starbursts. A juicy condratiction. Lol anyways

I believe that there is heaven, and that we live everyday lives in heaven. We become more youthfull, and more nature-friendly, if you will.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

When something dies, it is returned to the Earth and gives new life, as part of nature's endless cycle of life. Death is merely an illusion as life never truly ends. Sometimes a person leaves their body too soon, mostly in cases human-caused, leaving their family and friends not only grieving, but questioning and helplessly hurt. The soul of this person may find its way back to the family, by being reborn from the womb of a related woman, or a woman who will give her child to one. Some people not properly grieved may find themselves lost along the way, and their spirits may roam alone, until they can be born again.
I knew a man who drowned when he was only twenty-four, while his mother was pregnant. Soon after, she had a baby boy, and they all called him the "miracle baby" as he eased their pain just as the brother he never met would have. Though it still hurts that he is no longer in my life as the exact person he was, I know that he is alright and still has his family.
The promise that life will go on, as the example I used above, helps me to accept the death of a loved one, as they are never truly lost.

message 7: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "I think of reincarnation most of the time. But I'm honestly not sure. It's not my right to judge. I wish we could just go to a gate, and some dude would be like, "What world would you like to live ..."

Hah. I wanna go to Hogwarts ommggg

message 8: by Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ (last edited Jun 05, 2012 09:36PM) (new)

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments Columbine I see you believe in reincarnation, but what happens when the world ends, when there is no place to reincarnate back to? Does life just end when that happens?

Oh and I believe you either go to heaven or hell in the after-life.

message 9: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments I honestly wouldnt want to debate in this. I believe in life after death because of Islam, and it's pretty hard to explain, and I'm sure that's how everyone feels, and honestly there is no solid proof for life after death; just beliefs, and I believe that there is life after death, and Islam is my reason, because I follow it, but I can't be specific on why Islam believes in it...

And RainbowDash- I would agree eith Libby, I would live in Hogwarts, and be a death eater :D or a unicorn n__n a unicorn vampire or a shadow hunter lol

message 10: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Hogwarts!! O.O

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa, does the world have to end?

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments I suppose not, but isn't it true that the sun is going to "go out" (to put it simply) one day? Won't that make earth uninhabitable, therefore making reincarnation impossible?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I guess maybe someday, but who knows. Some things I will accept that I don't know.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I read a kind of creepy story once, it was about a guy who just died.
It's a bit long, but here ya go:

----
It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off, trust me.

And that's when you met me.

"What... what happened?" You asked. "Where am I?"

"You died," I said, matter-of-factly. No point mincing words.

"There was a...a truck and it was skidding..."

"Yup." I said

"I... I died?"

"Yup. But don't feel bad about it. Everyone dies." I said.

You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. "What is this place?" You asked. "Is this the afterlife?"

"More or less," I said.

"Are you god?" You asked.

"Yup." I replied. "I'm God."

"My kids... my wife," you said.

"What about them?"

"Will they be alright?"

"That what I like to see," I said. "You just died and your main concern is for your family. That's good stuff right there."

You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn't look like God. I just looked like some man. Some vague authority figure. More of a grammar school teacher than the almighty.

"Don't worry," I said. "They'll be fine. Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn't have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will cry on the outside, but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it's any consolation, she'll feel very guilty for feeling relieved."

"Oh," you said. "So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?"

"Neither," I said. "You'll be reincarnated."

"Ah," you said. "So the Hindus were right."

"All the religions are right in their own way," I said. "Walk with me."

You followed along as we strolled in the void. "Where are we going?" "Nowhere in particular," I said. "It's just nice to walk while we talk."

"So what's the point, then?" You asked. "When I get reborn, I'll just be a blank slate, right? A baby. So all my experiences and everything I did in this life won't matter."

"Not so!" I said. "You have within you all the knowledge and experiences of all your past lives. You just don't remember them right now."

I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. "Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful, and gigantic than you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain a tiny fraction of what you are. It's like sticking your finger in a glass of water to see if it's hot or cold. You put a tiny part or yourself into the vessel, and when you bring it back out, you've gained all the experiences it had."

"You've been a human for the last 34 years, so you haven't stretched out yet and felt the rest of your immense consciousness. If we hung out here for longer, you'd start remembering everything. But there's no point doing that between each life."

"How many times have I been reincarnated, then?"

"Oh, lots. Lots and lots. And into lots of different lives." I said. "This time around you'll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 A.D."

"Wait, what?" You stammered. "You're sending me back in time?"

"Well, I guess technically. Time, as you know it, only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from."

"Where do you come from?" You pondered.

"Oh sure!" I explained. "I come from somewhere. somewhere else. and there are others like me. I know you'll want to know what it's like there but you honestly won't understand."

"Oh." you said, a little let down. "But wait. If i get reincarnated to other places in time, could I have interacted with myself at some point?"

"Sure. Happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own timespan you don't even know it's happening."

"So what's the point of it all?"

"Seriously?" I asked. "Seriously? Your asking me for the meaning of life? Isn't that a little stereotypical?"

"Well it's a reasonable question." you persisted.

I looked in your eye. "The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature."

"You mean mankind? You want us to mature?"

"No. just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature, and become a larger and greater intellect" "Just me? What about everyone else?"

"There is no one else," I said. "In this universe, there's just you, and me."

You stared blankly at me. "But all the people on earth..."

"All you. Different incarnations of you."

"Wait. I'm everyone!?"

"Now you're getting it." I said, with a congratulatory slap on the back.

"I'm every human who ever lived?"

"Or who will ever live, yes."

"I'm Abraham Lincoln?"

"And you're John Wilkes Booth, too." I added.

"I'm Hitler?" you said, appalled.

"And you're the millions he killed."

"I'm Jesus?"

"And you're everyone who followed him."

You fell silent.

"Every time you victimized someone," I said, "You were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you've done, you've done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you."

"Why?" You asked me. "Why do all this?"

"Because someday, you will become like me. Because that's what you are. You're one of my kind. You're my child."

"Whoa." you said, incredulous. "You mean I'm a god?"

"No. Not yet. You're a fetus. You're still growing. Once you've lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born."

"So the whole universe," you said. "It's just..."

"An egg of sorts." I answered. "Now its time for you to move on to your next life."

And with that, I sent you on your way.

message 15: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments That was.... AWESOME and just crazy!! Lol I loved it!! Wait, so does that mean that I'm you? Lol jk

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Whoa… that makes me ponder.

message 17: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Wow.

Thanks, Rainbow:) That actually really meant alot to me. Thanks for sharing that!

Mary *TheBigBangTheory* *I love Louis!* | 417 comments ...Wow. I loved that.

I feel enlightened

message 19: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS That was an interesting story. Thanks :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

No problem. I found it kind of awesome and interesting. ^_^

message 21: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

So, if we are every person on Earth, what about other animals, and plants? I wonder.

message 23: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments That means that you ate yourself lol

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

o.o

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

And Then They Buried Me*Mummble/Hana* wrote: "That means that you ate yourself lol"

XD

Mary *TheBigBangTheory* *I love Louis!* | 417 comments And Then They Buried Me*Mummble/Hana* wrote: "That means that you ate yourself lol"

Lol

message 27: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS ...

message 28: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Om nom nom I taste good

message 29: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) ~that awkward moment when that sounded totally wrong and you didn't mean it like that~

message 30: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) My issue with the whole, "heaven and hell" scenario is that NO ONE is that black and white. It baffles me and seems rather unlikely that every person to ever exist could be sorted into one of two polar categories, of sinners or saints. It just doesn't work like that.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "I read a kind of creepy story once, it was about a guy who just died.

----
It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left ..."

That's an...interesting story, but I dont believe a single thing in it.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Libby wrote: "My issue with the whole, "heaven and hell" scenario is that NO ONE is that black and white. It baffles me and seems rather unlikely that every person to ever exist could be sorted into one of two p..."

You're right, no one is "that black and white," or either "sinner or saint". There's lots of shades of gray.
This is what I believe:
You don't have to be a saint to enter heaven. God is forgiving. He won't condemn you to hell because you may be a sinner. Most likely, nearly every person is somewhere in between sinner and saint, right? I believe that Vod is willing to forgive our sins if we are willing to ask for forgiveness. If we deny his existence, then he won't forgive us because those who deby his existence probably dont want his forgiveness.

Islam teaches us that God is All-Forgiving, All-Merciful. God will not condemn all those who are "shades of gray". That's what a human is. We all make mistakes and stuff, right? But there's some truly good people and some truly evil people (according to me, of course).
I believe that there are different levels of heaven, and those who are the best people will be at the very best levels, and those who are in between wil hopefully still be in heaven, but be in lower levels of heaven.
I don't know if I explained that well...
Also, I know this is based totally on Islam, and most of you don't share the same beliefs, but anyway. This is just what I think about heaven and hell.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I've always wondered… what do you believe heaven is like? From what I've heard, it sounds kind of boring. What is life without conflict, pain, hate, fun, and love?

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments Columbine wrote: "Yeah I guess maybe someday, but who knows. Some things I will accept that I don't know."

It's okay. I was just wondering since you said you were an Atheist (I think) at one point. :)

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments Asmaa wrote: "Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "I read a kind of creepy story once, it was about a guy who just died.

----
It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkab..."

I'd have to agree with Asmaa here. I think that story is really interesting and thought provoking but I really don't believe it. I'm a little skeptical about near death experiences since they often give contradictory accounts of what happens.

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments Libby wrote: "My issue with the whole, "heaven and hell" scenario is that NO ONE is that black and white. It baffles me and seems rather unlikely that every person to ever exist could be sorted into one of two p..."

Then I guess you don't like the Christian version very much. Since in Christianity it's about as black and white as you can get. You either trust completely God's grace to save you (heaven) or you don't (hell).

Mary *TheBigBangTheory* *I love Louis!* | 417 comments Well that's the Protestant version of it. Catholics believe that by doin good deeds and by believing in God and the Bible, you can get salvation. And plus, God forgives you no matter what, and you get to heaven.

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments Columbine wrote: "I've always wondered… what do you believe heaven is like? From what I've heard, it sounds kind of boring. What is life without conflict, pain, hate, fun, and love?"

I'm not completely sure since I obviously have never been there :D, but I do know that there is love, joy, peace, happiness, and prosperity. I tend to think of heaven as having all the benefits that life has (only better) without the drawbacks. Same with hell, it has all the drawbacks this life has (only worse) but without the benefits.

Mary *TheBigBangTheory* *I love Louis!* | 417 comments People who have drowned, say, and have been brought back to life day that they wanted to die, because heaven was so much better. I would def. go to the light

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments lol go to the light!!! :)

Oh and I would also to say that I agree with Asmaa on the levels of heaven. I don't know how God decides it but I do believe that some people will have a higher position in heaven than others (probably depending on how much they tried to be a good person on earth).

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa Corn wrote: "Columbine wrote: "Yeah I guess maybe someday, but who knows. Some things I will accept that I don't know."

It's okay. I was just wondering since you said you were an Atheist (I think) at one point..."

Yeah, that's something I'm still pondering. And I guess you could call me an Atheist, but Agnostic seems more suitable. But really, I am who I am! ^ ^

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments I kind of admire Agnostics. They are the only people that the guts to say that they really don't know if there's a God. Both Theists and Atheists assume there either is or isn't one, but only Agnostics come out and say they have no idea.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! Thank you :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

♥TheBigBangTheory*TheHungerGamesFanatic*♥ wrote: "Well that's the Protestant version of it. Catholics believe that by doin good deeds and by believing in God and the Bible, you can get salvation. And plus, God forgives you no matter what, and you ..."

So, you don't believe in hell?

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments ♥TheBigBangTheory*TheHungerGamesFanatic*♥ wrote: "Well that's the Protestant version of it. Catholics believe that by doin good deeds and by believing in God and the Bible, you can get salvation. And plus, God forgives you no matter what, and you ..."

I knew Catholics didn't believe in salvation by faith alone, and that it was more of a process that a believer must go through in this life (although believing Jesus died for your sins is apart of it) but I have never heard any Catholic saying they didn't believe in hell. I thought they did, or is that just your belief personally?

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments lol I copied Columbine's question ;D

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha you totally did… but yours sounded more educated ^ ^

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments I am honored by your complimentary remarks :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

:D The honor is returned!

« previous 1 3