Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Seanan McGuire
This topic is about Seanan McGuire
Series Discussions > October Daye - Seanan McGuire

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments This is the official spot to chat about the October Daye series!

Spoilers
Remember to utilize the (view spoiler) tags so that you don't spoil anything for any other readers. Check out the "some html is ok" options on goodreads for details or ask! We've even got a special thread for more details.

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2) by Seanan McGuire An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3) by Seanan McGuire Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4) by Seanan McGuire One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5) by Seanan McGuire

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Rosemary and Rue is one of our group reads for June 2012!

I've already started it up and I'm loving it!! Toby is a great leading lady, she's strong and smart. She knows her limits and I don't feel like she's going to start pumping steriods so she can play with the big boys.

message 3: by Susana (new)

Susana (susana32) | 153 comments I love that book. Toby is indeed a great character, the plot is strong, and all the other characters are amazing as well. So far i've read all the books available of this series. So i'm waiting for "ashes of honor" to be releasead. :)

message 4: by Omi (new)

Omi | 32 comments I like the look of this book and may join in with the group read.

I am new to this forum so I apologise if this is a stupid question but since this is the start of a series will the next few months continue on with this series?

Deana-Coffee, Books, Life Blog (deana-coffeebookslife) | 2 comments I read this one a while back. LOved it!!! For this book being the start of a series, it was great.

message 6: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 38 comments Just started it. A little overwhelmed/annoyed with all the info dumping so far, but I will definitely finish.

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments I have this book and will be starting it shortly. Looking forward to reading it!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Omi wrote: "I like the look of this book and may join in with the group read.

I am new to this forum so I apologise if this is a stupid question but since this is the start of a series will the next few mont..."

There are no stupid questions!!

This is one of our Whatever books so unless the next book gets voted in we probably won't continue reading the series as a group.

However, I'm liking it so much that I might just lead a buddy read from here on out for it!

message 9: by Omi (new)

Omi | 32 comments Thank you. I just was not sure how it worked. I like the look of this book and tend to buy a series at a time but although I can get this on Amazon I can not get it direct from them so may just buy this book first and see how I like it.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I always try the first book before I jump the gun.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments All right is it just me or is Toby getting (view spoiler) It's a little crazy, but I'm not annoyed by it at this point.

message 12: by Krista (new)

Krista (kompletelykrista) | 5 comments Hi, I'm new and picked Rosemary and Rue to start with. So far it's really good but I just started it today. I hope she doesn't do anything that annoys me because if it keeps up at this rate, I'll have to read the whole series.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments LOL! I hate it when books annoy the reader.

I'm almost done and so far it's all green light!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments About 20 pages and left (view spoiler) The author did such a wonderful job keeping the villian concealed tell the last possible moment. *sigh* I didn't want him to be the villian.

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments I finished this book last night and I have to admit it was just okay for me. I felt it was lacking in some of the back story about how and why some of these things are happening and why the characters are the way they are or in the situations they are. Overall it wasn't a bad read and I'll continue the series just to see if I can learn more in those books.

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "About 20 pages and left [spoilers removed] The author did such a wonderful job keeping the villian concealed tell the last possible moment. *sigh* I didn't want him to be the villian."

I had a feeling close to the end who the villian was but it did take awhile to figure it out. I do have to disagree though, I'm kind of glad about who the villian ended up being.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I can see that Terri. He was an awful person, but that's way I liked him. Complex characters just keep my wheels greesed.

I see what you mean about something lacking. It was the "debut" book for the series so it didn't bother me too much. I thought the author did a pretty good job giving us enough information on the back story as it came so that the reader didn't get too dumped on.

message 18: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments Oh I did like him too, I just wanted more for her than that I guess. Lol he was to much of a "bad boy" and I myself love a good "bad boy".

I agree that I don't like to get to much info dumped on me at one time, but the lack of information had me confused sometimes. I figure I'll learn more as I read the rest of the series.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments LOL!! I love it now we've got classes of bad boys!! I like a good "bad boy" too.

message 20: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments lol, absolutely there are classes! Especially when it comes to any type of man, beast, fae, or etc. lol!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments I love these books, too... stumbled across them and have been quickly checking them out from the library any time a new one comes out

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments LOVE Tybalt!

message 23: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments I'm not sure why, but so far I'm intrigued the most by Conner!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments I'm more of a cat person rather than a seal person

message 25: by Susana (new)

Susana (susana32) | 153 comments I'm also a Tybalt fan! Love that King of Cats :)

message 26: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments Personaly any animal would do for me, but I was thinking along the lines of personality! lol

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments Oh- I'm STILL all about Tybalt. Cats can be so mysterious and mouthwatering

message 28: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments True, I give you that one!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments Have you read them all, Terri?

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments Nope, I didn't start the series until it became a group read.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments Oh, Tybalt just gets better and better

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments Although, in fairness, Connor does get hotter... but I'm still 'Team Tybalt'

message 33: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series then!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Connar's married. for me that puts him out of the running. Plus, I don't like his personalty.

Tybalt is pretty cool, though his whole hate thing for Toby is a off putter. I'm looking forward to reading more about him.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments There is passion simmering in Tybalt, I think. Haven't seen it fully yet- like when little kids 'hate' the one they really have a crush on. It's not really hate.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments OH, I have not doubt the passion is waiting there. Love and hate are always close emotions. ^_-

message 37: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 38 comments Just finished the book. It got better after the initial chapters which I thought were full of annoying info-dumping. While I thought the book mostly was a fun read, the author's writing style kind of annoyed me every so often. It was a little repetitive and I had the urge to skim certain parts. Hopefully we will see more of Tybalt in the next few books. Interesting (hot ;)) character.

message 38: by Krista (new)

Krista (kompletelykrista) | 5 comments Okay, I've finished it. It was good and I might read some more of the series after I finish a couple of books that are waiting to be read. I like that Toby is so accepting of herself and limitations, but strong and smart at the same time. I would like some more relevant information though. Why is she so tight with some important people? What made her magically turn back into her changeling self? But I'm also very interested in Tybalt to. I'm not team Connor.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Yeah!! Another non Team Connor!! ^_-

message 40: by Krista (new)

Krista (kompletelykrista) | 5 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Yeah!! Another non Team Connor!! ^_-"

I think that Connor puts himself out there as untrustworthy to begin with because he's willing to cheat on his wife. Tybalt, on the other hand, has that cat 'I don't need or like you' thing going even though he does. It's like when little boys pull the ponytails of the girls they like. :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Totally agree about Connor.

Tybalt's just a little boy at heart, some reason that brings to mind him pouting. It looks so cute in my mind's eye.

message 42: by Krista (new)

Krista (kompletelykrista) | 5 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Totally agree about Connor.

Tybalt's just a little boy at heart, some reason that brings to mind him pouting. It looks so cute in my mind's eye."

I liked him from the first meeting. I can definitely see him pouting. I'll bet it's really cool when he purrs. ;)

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori (lori_ramsey) Have already read this one and loved it! Now I have a reason to revisit it!

message 44: by Kaye620 (new)

Kaye620 | 686 comments I love this series! I'm glad it's getting attention from some new readers.

BTW, Tybalt is mine. I claimed him a long time ago. LOL! ;)

message 45: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Jun 15, 2012 08:17AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments LOL!! Ah, but while I'm reading he's mine. ^_-

Oooo, I can't wait to see what he does with that purr Krista.

message 46: by Dana (new)

Dana "dew" (danadew) | 20 comments I liked Tybalt from the jump. I still do. He's one of my favorite characters in any book or series. I find myself hoping for more scenes with Tybalt.

This series is great. I had MANY questions after reading it (them, actually) --- and over the course of the other books (I'm still one behind), more and more answers are being revealed. I find the series to be smartly written.

** I wasn't crazy about the 2nd book in the series, but even so... I love the characters so much that I couldn't wait to read the next book after that. **

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Just started up the second book. What can I say, just couldn't help myself. Loved Tybalt carrying her home when she's drunk now she's wearing his jacket!! *fans*

I get a sad feeling he might not be in this book too much . . .

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 97 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Just started up the second book. What can I say, just couldn't help myself. Loved Tybalt carrying her home when she's drunk now she's wearing his jacket!! *fans*

I get a sad feeling he might not b..."

I love that jacket. It becomes a 'staple' in the books

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Really!!! Wow, now I'm so excited. Really need to buy the other books.

message 50: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Jun 27, 2012 12:56PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments OK, either she's going to pull out a huge plot twist for this second book or not. Right now I'm guessing that (view spoiler)

I'm really hoping it's not that obvious.

« previous 1