Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

The Red Keep > Group Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 182 comments Earlier in the year we tried to do some group reads, which didn't necessarily turn out that great. We're not a huge group, so the lack of participation wasn't really a surprise to me. The last one we tried was Warbreaker in March, and since then Chris and I have been hesitant about starting another.

So my question.. Do you guys want to keep trying group reads? Is so, do you have any suggestions for nomination themes you want to see or new ways to do them that might encourage participation?

And while I'm asking for suggestions.. Any other non-group read related suggestions for things you'd like to see in this group?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to see more blackjack and hookers.

Or another group read. Or even a reread of the series.

I'm down for whatever.

message 3: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 182 comments How about poker? I suck at blackjack. As for hookers........ I'll see what I can do? LOL :P

message 4: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Yeah, we kinda got away from the group reads as Season II of the TV series rolled in. So we did have that to keep us entertained.

Now we need something to do until April. Hmmm

message 5: by Felina (new)

Felina I think we should try for group reads. I can't guarantee participation but we'll get more participation from having a group read as an option then by not having one at all.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) What's in April?

message 7: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 182 comments Next April.... GoT season three ;)

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) If it's a book I have or want to read, I'd join the group read. I think it's worth trying.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Dawn wrote: "Next April.... GoT season three ;)"

Ahh... right. Yes.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) What about the Hedge Knight short stories as group reads? I read the first one & have the next two ready to go.

message 11: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments There's an idea.

Though I wonder if we should wait until the next one comes out later this year or early next year.

It'll be called "The She-Wolves of Winterfell".

message 12: by Richard (last edited Sep 23, 2013 01:06PM) (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 81 comments I just started with an author I'd heard about but never read and it's the perfect antidote (for me at least...) to Westeros withdrawl symptoms: The book is a suggested beginning to a read of Terry Pratchett's discworld series, and the one I finished even had dragons! Read: Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett it is chock full of dark, acidic humor and a hugely dysfunctional medieval styled society.
Guards! Guards!

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 58 comments I think that when a release date of winds of winter is announced a reread of the entire series would be nice. I have a sneaky feeling that when Dance comes out in paper we will get a release date of WoW. As for Dunk & Egg stories I believe a collection is coming out but i do not remember the release date.

message 14: by Celise (new)

Celise (celise_) | 14 comments The release year goal is 2015 right?

message 15: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Celise wrote: "The release year goal is 2015 right?"

It's a hope, but not based on anything said by GRRM or his publisher. Sooner would even be better, but past experience has me doubting there's a chance of that happening.

message 16: by Celise (new)

Celise (celise_) | 14 comments If we follow the pattern we're looking at 8 years after ADWD, but hopefully he'll break it because he's getting old.

message 17: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) How about Dangerous Women? Still has to wait for December though

message 18: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Oh yes. Definitely looking forward to that.

message 19: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Celise wrote: "If we follow the pattern we're looking at 8 years after ADWD, but hopefully he'll break it because he's getting old."

lol. Hopefully.

message 20: by Celise (new)

Celise (celise_) | 14 comments Has this group already done Windhaven?

message 21: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Celise wrote: "Has this group already done Windhaven?"

As a group, no. But I think someone started a thread for it somewhere..

message 22: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Windhaven sounds good. Or Tuf Voyaging.

message 23: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Guys, how about one of the non-ASOIAF novellas? A Song for Lya, Meathouse Man etc. Not too much of a commitment compared with a full length novel.

message 24: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments That might be a good idea, Silvana.

It could help get people familiar with his other works.

message 25: by Richard (last edited Aug 05, 2014 12:46PM) (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 81 comments I just finished a book, which I reviewed on Amazon since it hasn't been added here yet, The Sadness of Angels . It's a scifi/fantasy novel which grabbed me right from the start. The author, Jim Williams is best known for his historical, literary fiction, so this is a break-out for him. I can heartily recommend it for any of us who are wasting away, longing for Westeros. This is also a series, but the writer is already well into book two and book three is already conceived! I've got the poop direct from the publisher. Here's the link: The Sadness of Angels by Jim Williams The Sadness of Angels by Jim Williams

message 26: by Jubriel (new)

Jubriel Meneses (just_jube) | 2 comments I think The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie would be a really good group read. They are short enough to wile away the time and they are really outstanding. He's a great author and the series is really good.

It's definitely a character build and it's what i like most about the book, is his protrayal of the characters. They are all so very human with their faults and with the plot it can get kind of dark and visceral at times.

The Blade Itself is the first book

message 27: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I love First Law Trilogy (best fantasy after ASOIAF) and definitely will participate in a group read.

message 28: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 81 comments Here's a new fantasy adventure series: The Dragon Ring by C. Craig Coleman. It should be a good choice for ASoIF readers while we're waiting... and waiting... and... The Dragon Ring Epic Fantasy Coming of Age Amid Dragons, Wizards and Witches by C. Craig Coleman