Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Faith Hunter
This topic is about Faith Hunter
Series Discussions > Jane Yellowrock - Faith Hunter

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Jun 04, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments This is the official spot on PRA&N-PR&UF to chat about the Jane Yellowrock series!

Spoilers
Remember to utilize the (view spoiler) tags so that you don't spoil anything for any other readers. Check out the "some html is ok" options on goodreads for details or ask! We've even got a special thread for more details.

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) by Faith Hunter Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) by Faith Hunter Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4) by Faith Hunter Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5) by Faith Hunter

message 2: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Jun 04, 2012 08:54AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Another of June 2012 Group Reads is Skinwalker!!

Don't know about you guys, but this one has been on my TBR for ages!

message 3: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) Great excuse to reread this series. Loved it.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I keep hearing how good it is!

message 5: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere i think I will read this one too!

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) It's on my TBR---but I started it and lost interest. Someone talk me into continuing!!! I just thought she was so ... rude. Kind of snarky. Will I warm up to her???

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) It's on my TBR---but I started it and lost interest. Someone talk me into continuing!!! I just thought she was so ... rude. Kind of snarky. Will I warm up to her???

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments LOL! I like them snarky.

After I finish Rosemary and Rue I'll either start this one up or the 3rd book in the group series.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "LOL! I like them snarky.

After I finish Rosemary and Rue I'll either start this one up or the 3rd book in the group series."

I like a certain amount of snark. The problem is that snark is only a thread away from...bitchy. And that's sort of like humor. Can be really hit/miss. Maybe I'll pick it up again since it's the book of the month.

message 10: by Sandra (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:10PM) (new)

Sandra Maria wrote: "It's on my TBR---but I started it and lost interest. Someone talk me into continuing!!!"

I will take up your challenge, I love this series! I actually accidentally read the second book first (I know, I always wondered how people did that, but I guess it happens) so I don't know if that affected how I viewed her. I just think her version of shifter is such an interesting change from what we usually see. In the later books we start to learn more about her past which I thought was really interesting, I've always been interested in Native American culture, and her and Beasts dynamic/relationship becomes a focus also which is something I enjoyed seeing.

Maria wrote: " I just thought she was so ... rude. Kind of snarky. Will I warm up to her???"

I think you will! She's very strong and loyal, she really only has 1 close friend and keeps everyone else at a distance, so maybe that is part of the snarkiness. But if I remember correctly, the people she is snarky with aren't completely trustworthy (Leo, Bruiser, etc) so I don't know if we can blame her. I liked how tough she was (but had actual skill, not just a heroine bumbling around and everything just happens to work out) and I liked that she didn't sleep around (not that I don't also love those heroines, but it was a nice change that she was more reluctant/hesitant/cautious to start something with a guy).

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Sandra wrote: "Maria wrote: "It's on my TBR---but I started it and lost interest. Someone talk me into continuing!!!"

I will take up your challenge, I love this series! I actually accidentally read the second ..."

Hmm. Okay. I will give it another try. She better shape up... (Just kidding. I hope I like it this time around!!!) I generally like shifter stories (Patricia Briggs RULES) and I like UF a lot...so I'll give it another shot.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill | 111 comments I have this book, so will be joining you all in reading it this month.

message 13: by Terri (new)

Terri | 247 comments I'll join as well, although I have already read this book this month lol. Just finished it the other day. Have to admit even though I really enjoyed the book for the most part I found it a bit hard to follow at times. But I love the main character!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Sandra wrote: "but had actual skill, not just a heroine bumbling around and everything just happens to work out "

That's one of my pet peeves. I hate it when the characters are all talk and no bite, and everything just falls into place for them.

message 15: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Is this a spoiler free thread or can we put in spoilers???

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments You can put spoilers just use the tags. Like this (view spoiler)

It's too much of a pain to have a thread with and then without spoilers.

message 17: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Okay, I can do that--but what are the tags? I can see how it works, but I don't know the codes. Is it html? If so I can look that up. Or just avoid using spoilers.

message 18: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:46AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Here's how to do it:

[spoiler] Put what you want to hide here [/spoiler]

Just replace [ with < and ] with > and it should work. If you don't know how to do other HTML stuff use the "(some html is ok) above the comment box on the right and it will show you how to do stuff.

message 19: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Thanks Shera!!!

So I'm about halfway and so far, here's my major problem with the book (not major enough for me to stop, but disgruntlement to be sure.)

(view spoiler)

I am liking the character more. She's got good motivation and I loved the background on her character and the development with the elder. There's some good stuff here.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments glad things are picking up for you.

message 21: by Ajanene (new)

Ajanene LOVE this series!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Just started Skinwalker, I'm loving it!!

Jane has such a strong voice and she has real skills!! I'm swooining over here.

message 23: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Okay, I finished it. It's not going to be my favorite. I did warm up to Jane, but this book has some of the themes from others that I don't like much:

(view spoiler)

There were some dynamite action scenes and the overall plot was pretty good. There were some real awesome and unique clever parts to it, but overall, I'm not sure I'll continue with the series. I'm a VERY character driven reader and I'm just not sure I like any of the characters all that much. I really did enjoy when Beast was protective of kits. I adopted a feral cat a few years ago (we can't get near her still) and she exhibits that same type of behavior when there are kittens around. (She's been fixed. We trapped her, fixed and released. We take care of her, but she won't admit to it!!!!)

I'll be interested to see what everyone else has to say!!!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Yeah, if the character doesn't do it for me I can't go on.

Don't push yourself!

message 25: by Rhea (new)

Rhea  | 5 comments Read it a while ago and enjoyed it. Liked that I havnt yet come across another protagonist quite like Jane. Just on the opening pages of mercy blade...

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I really like Beast. (Only a spoiler if you haven't started the first book.)(view spoiler)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments All right I'm far enough along to get a feel for Jane and I'm not picking up on the snarky at all. She's just really confident and projects that out in her personality. Plus, she's a no nonsense kind of gal which can make her come of rude.

Overall I love her!!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Just finished and I loved it!! Skinwalker was grand.

Though one huge problem (maybe two) (view spoiler)

message 29: by Dana (new)

Dana "dew" (danadew) | 20 comments Oh... I LOVE this series. I don't find Jane to be snarky either.

Also... I love the characters (plural) of Jane & Beast. I think that their situation/dynamic is really interesting.

(view spoiler)

I thought this was a really good first book in the series. I couldn't wait to read it after being introduced to Jane Yellowrock in the short story in some anthology... possibly Strange Brew.

I prefer to read stories that are more Urban Fantasy than romance... which also might be why I enjoy this series. Though I have greatly enjoyed various moments throughout the series with various characters & hoped for a bit of romance on an occasion or two.

I also like that the characters develop as the series goes on. (I didn't like Rick in the beginning... I find him to be an interesting character now and would read a story/ book just about him --- as an example.)
------------------------
Also... I think first books in series, in which there is a fair amt. of world-building & mythology involved can be a bit difficult. I think Skinwalker fairs better than some others as far as first books go.

There are series out there that I absolutely ADORE but the first book in the series was a bit lackluster for me somehow, but I kept reading because other people raved about the series. I feel that this series also gets better and better. So, I would suggest people continue reading it if they liked the first book but perhaps didn't love it.

I would have missed out on gems by Kim Harrison, Ilona Andrews, and Jim Butcher if I had stopped at their first books.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I agree about the first book in a series. This one far surpasses others I have read that started out great series. Hoping that's a good sign.

I see what you mean about everyone lusting after Jane, still annoyed though.

message 31: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) I find the overall trait of the heroine being lusted after annoying, although it didn't particularly strike a nerve in this book. Mostly it was the convenient powers appearing or disappearing just because the story happened to need it.

(view spoiler)

I agree that the Beast/Jane combo is unique and that is the best part of the book. I don't think I'll continue the series though.

I probably do need to go back and continue Dresden. I didn't like the first book in that series either.

I loved the Kate Daniels series from the get-go...

Nice to see differing opinions and discussion here!

message 32: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla (ppomeroy72) | 364 comments I just finished this book the other day. I thought it was good, but I am not sure I liked it enough to want to read another book in this series. It was slow paced until the end so I had a very hard time keeping an interest in the story. I tend to like my books fast paced and this just did not make the cut for me.

message 33: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Priscilla wrote: "I just finished this book the other day. I thought it was good, but I am not sure I liked it enough to want to read another book in this series. It was slow paced until the end so I had a very ha..."

I barely made it to the end--and probably wouldn't have except for this discussion. In fact, I don't think I'd have picked it up again except for this discussion. I started it several months ago and wandered off. I'm pretty sure I won't keep reading the series.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments It seems like the books are either hit or miss here.

message 35: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla (ppomeroy72) | 364 comments Maria wrote: "Priscilla wrote: "I just finished this book the other day. I thought it was good, but I am not sure I liked it enough to want to read another book in this series. It was slow paced until the end ..."

I felt the same way. I really wanted to give it a chance since we were reading it for the group. It took me almost a week to read and that almost never happens! I usually can go through a book in 2 to 3 days depending on how good it is and how I am feeling.

message 36: by Alex (new)

Alex I'm reading chapter 8 now and I think it's the 10th time somebody has asked Jane this question:

What are you?

I loved it when Bill asked Sookie in a very deep voice the same question in True Blood.

What would you answer? And let's not limit ourselves to very common and obvious answers such as "I'm a human being" or "I'm a girl/boy"! :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Alex wrote: "I'm reading chapter 8 now and I think it's the 10th time somebody has asked Jane this question:

What are you?

I loved it when Bill asked Sookie in a very deep voice the same question in True Blo..."

The constant what are you, and sleep with me invitation got old. But they also amused me.

message 38: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Alex wrote: "I'm reading chapter 8 now and I think it's the 10th time somebody has asked Jane this question:

What are you?

I loved it when Bill asked Sookie in a very deep voice the same questio..."

I thought they got kind of old in both series!

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex Oh, boy, I opened Pandora's box. I thought it was kinda nice, not old. I'm new at this series.

I guess you two girls won't be answering this question? :(

message 40: by Maria (last edited Jul 19, 2012 10:34AM) (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Alex wrote: "Oh, boy, I opened Pandora's box. I thought it was kinda nice, not old. I'm new at this series.

I guess you two girls won't be answering this question? :("

Oh, don't let my curmudgeon attitude disappoint you! I was actually pondering the question because it would depend on who was asking it. Someone who is is threatening me might get, 'The ghost of your past come to halt your future." Someone who was just curious...well, it would depend on if I trusted that person. If I wasn't sure, I'd probably stick with "A Dream Weaver. You'll have to determine whether to keep me in or out."

:>)

message 41: by Alex (new)

Alex Gotta say, awesome answer! I'll have to think long and hard to top it! *evil grin*

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Those are great answers.

I'd probably say something lame. Like if a guy was asking I'd say "Why, I'm the oppisite sex!" See totally lame. Or what you put before, "I'm a girl, a real girl!"

message 43: by Alex (new)

Alex I would probably answer with a question: "Why do you wanna know? " :))

or with "Isn't it obvious?" and see what the other person knows about me. Paranoid much? Yep.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Good replies Alex!

message 45: by Alex (new)

Alex No...I took the easy way out... *blush*

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Well I high faves to us! ^_-

message 47: by Alex (new)

Alex Has anyone read Faith Hunter's The Rogue Mage series? Is it OK?

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I have the first one but haven't gotten around to it yet, I'd be interested too if anyone recommends it?

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandykuro) | 31 comments Does anyone have an electronic copy of Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5) that they would be willing to lend to me? if so please message me!
many thanks
peace

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Alex wrote: "Has anyone read Faith Hunter's The Rogue Mage series? Is it OK?"

I hear really mixed reviews on that series. I have it sitting on my TBR pile.

« previous 1