The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) The Wonderful Wizard of Oz question

Favorite Children's Book?
Trista Trista Jun 04, 2012 08:26AM
What's your favorite Children's book, or your child's favorite book, and why? Just doing a bit of research :)
I think I have too many to decide, but one of them at the top of my list is The Wizard of Oz because it's so fun and imaginative.

I don't know that I had a fav, there are so many good children's books out there! I loved the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden books. And I adored the Pushcart War by Jean Merrill. I loved the Wizard of Oz series too.

I am actually torn between "The Wizard of Oz" series by Frank L Baum and the "Anne of Green Gables" series by LM Montgomery. Both series star a strong child in the center of adversity. Where the Oz novels are filled with allusionary characters and a huge amount of imagination the Anne books are very practical, but both authors fill their novels with morals and thought provoking lessons for young readers.

Le petit prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry.

It always makes me cry so much :'(

Lets not forget the Dr. Seuss books. Loved them.
As I aged
The Three Investigator Series(Alfred Hitchcock)by numerous authors such as Nick West and Harry Kane
Ramona Collection
Illustrated Classics, especially King Arthur

In the 6th grade Some of my favorites were.
The Outsidersby S.E. HInton
Sink the Bismark by C.S. Forester
PT 109by John F Kennedy
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyobyte d Lawson

Heck, love all books. Read quite a bit as a kid.

Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones

Trista wrote: "What's your favorite Children's book, or your child's favorite book, and why? Just doing a bit of research :)
I think I have too many to decide, but one of them at the top of my list is The Wizard ..."

Are we talking about books read as an adult or books read as a child. Because I love y.a. books, and good children's books are such a pleasure. But reading them now is different than when I read them as a child. Also they would be different favorites.

The Secret Garden and Little Women

"The Way Of A Dog."

Phil (last edited Mar 22, 2014 06:05PM ) Mar 22, 2014 06:05PM   0 votes
The Gammage Cup was my favorite when I was a kid.
My 10 year old loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and my 8 year old loves Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Peter Pan by Sir James Matthew Barrie. That was the start of getting my young imagination flowing.

Alice in Wonderland, all the OZ books, Beverly Cleary's Ramona books, Nancy Drew and any fairly tales. I didn't discover Roald Dahl until adulthood and I still love his books.

Hans Christian Andersen tales or Roald Dahl. Adored them in childhood, although I only ever read Roald Dahl books for English class. So they must have made a big impact on me.
I also quite enjoyed this one book my year 6 teacher made me read as an extra assignment thing. I can't remember what it was called, but it centered around a 12 year old girl living in Poland and her life through WWII. 11 year old me was captivated.

I love "The Neverending Story". So deep!

i have so many favorites but some of my favorites are:
The Ramona Series, The Chronicles of Narnia, A little princess, all of Roald Dahl's books, The A-Z mysteries, and The Magic Treehouse books.

My favourite children's book of ll time would have to The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. I read it over and over again growing up and would love to find it and read it to my daughter. I'm sure she would love all the characters as much as I did.

Wizard of Oz definitely a top favorite for many years. Close seconds: Lion, Witch, & the Wardrobe; Little Prince; Anne of Green Gables; Dune... well, this list could take days.

There are so many but I would say that my favorite picture book is Blueberries for Sal and my favorite chapter book is His Dark Materials Including the The Golden Compass

I feel that any book or series written by
Enid Blyton are the most precious treasure that a child can own and also Heidi. I feel these are the best books for children

Feliks (last edited May 02, 2013 12:44PM ) Feb 23, 2013 10:01AM   0 votes

Feliks Simplicity and directness (in storytelling) is a charm sought after in any era's kids books, perhaps. But maybe its harder to achieve now, in a more c ...more
May 02, 2013 12:43PM · flag
Beth Gibson Also Babar the elephant and anything by Richard Scarry
May 02, 2013 09:39PM · flag

Gregory I was meaning as a child but either will do I find new favorite y a and children's books all the time. Thanks for all the responses. I haven't been getting notifications of posts so I'm behind on reading the comments.

I love this book so much as a child!

Watership Down....

My favorite children's book is " Daddy long legs ". But I'm pretty much like every book. I wish I could collect every edition.

Anne of Green Gables, definitely.

I loved James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. My children enjoyed all of Roald Dahl's books, but I think they would agree their favorite books were Beverly Cleary's Ramona series. They couldn't get enough of them.

The Wind in the Willows and Alice in Wonderland

Either Witches or Matilda by Roald Dahl.

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy M. Montgomery :)

It probably wouldn't be my choice now, but as a child I loved Dragon's Blood Dragon's Blood A Fantasy by Jane Yolen . I read it over and over again until the pages were almost worn out.

I never liked children books, even as a child. I read Belgian and French comic books, and started reading fantasy, horror and sci-fi quite young.

I loved the "choose your own adventure" fantasy books. The "Lone Wolf" and "Way of the Tiger" series. Those were awesome.

As for "regular" books, I liked the Jason Dark books. I was around 7 or 8 when I started reading those. That was probably way too young :)

That is a very cruel question. How am I supposed to choose???

Hmmm.... this is a difficult one as there are so many but today I would say Ferdinand the Bull.

OOOVVVEEESSS ITTTSSSS

The Teeny Tiny Woman: A Folktale
Teeny Tiny Woman is the first book I recall being a favorite.

Other favorites: A wrinkle in Time, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Childhood's End

Favorites:
- The Lost Princess of Oz by L. Frank Baum
- All four Winnie-the-Pooh books (two volumes of poetry and two volumes of stories) by A.A. Milne
- The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set by Lloyd Alexander
- The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye