The American Heiress The American Heiress discussion

should there be a 'sequel'

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ilana don't get me wrong, i think that the story wrapped itself up nicely in a little bow with Ivo and Cora living 'happily' ever after, but i wonder if there's enough there for a follow up story for Teddy. given that the last encounter with him is when he sees Charlotte at the train station (thinking it's Cora of course) and she implies that he should just wait for cora cause eventually she'll come to him...i wonder who out there thinks that it would be nice to see a story about him.

i think that he did the right thing initially by walking away from her, and you can't blame the guy for wanting to get back with her when things happen in life...but with his new european freedom and his painter's ability and all that - i kind of think that there could be a good story there with him going out into society as a more mature guy...with life experience.

Vanessa I beleive there might be something that the author could follow up on but sometimes the best books are those that leave it open to the imagination and doesn't have a sequel. I would love to know what would become of all the characters but then that could lead to disappointment if you've visualised something else.

Ilana Vanessa wrote: "I beleive there might be something that the author could follow up on but sometimes the best books are those that leave it open to the imagination and doesn't have a sequel. I would love to know wh..."

you're prob right. it's funny - i always used to think like that but now that there are so many series/trilogies i feel like i've come to expect it.

Cindi Yes!!!!!!!! I definitely want to read more about Cora coming into herself and taking charge of her household and her man.

Liza I'm mostly interested in Teddy and Bertha. They seemed to have gotten the raw end of the deal. So if the sequel focused on them, I wouldn't mind as much.

message 6: by Roderick (last edited Mar 01, 2014 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roderick I think that the only way a sequel would work is if there were some sort of large time lapse. Perhaps to a point in the midst of the Edwardian era where their son has grown older and Cora has really settled into being a duchess. Perhaps somewhere in between 1902 - 1913. I don't want to read anything about the inhabitants of Lulworth having to suffer through WWI because it's already been done on TV. But the Edwardian Era; however, was one of the most lavish and active times for the aristocracy just before their magnificence was quelled by the first world war.
The author could certainly use this to her advantage if she chose to write a sequel.

TheBohemianBookworm Honestly I think it was fine. I didn't enjoy it enough to want a sequel.

Elisa Santos Yeah, it was a total bore, this book - i just wanted to throw it off a window. It seemed like a bad literary Downton Abbey. Even the name of the american heiress is Cora, like in the tv show; and to top it off Cora Cash - i mean: come on, there was not another surname to put to the character?

Michell Karnes I agree I liked the book but I did not love it. When I read that it was loosely based on the life of Consuelo Vanderbilt I was expecting something much closer to the historical rather than the fiction (also thought the surname Cash was a bit obvious). I thought the way Cora met her husband was too inaccurate given the time period and while I love a happy ending I did not feel it fit the majority of marriages during this period in history.