Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Luzcasa's 50 books for 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments I am starting a thread for my 2009 list. I read 77 last year and wish to beat that number this year. I am aiming for 100. We'll see how I do! Check back here to see my progress!!

message 2: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #1 Phantom of the Opera (Leroux) Great story. Obviously famous because of the play and music and movies. However, the ending is slightly different as envisioned by the author. Very fun read! On to the Next!

message 3: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1786 comments Mod
I liked The Phantom of the Opera, too. I liked that there were just enough differences between the musical/movie and the book that it kept the book exciting.

message 4: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #2 The Grey King (Cooper) The storyline for this series has really come into its own by this fourth book. I liked how she tied in the King Arthur storyline that she had begun in the first book. Really good. On to the Next!

message 5: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #3 Perelandra (Lewis) Awesome book! Kind of complex in his imagery and ideas but incredible in the truth of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the 3rd book in the series. On to the Next!

message 6: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #4 To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee) I somehow escaped reading this book in high school and college/grad school. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. Very well written, so much so that you feel as though you are there in the story observing the action. Great stuff! On to the Next!

message 7: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #5 Silver on the Tree (Cooper) A fitting ending for the series. I'm glad I finally got to read this series and am a little sad that I did not read it as a child. On to the Next!

message 8: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #6 That Hideous Strength (Lewis) Awesome book! I now think that the first two books in the series only served to set this one up. This was by far the best in the series and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Hard to believe that it was written in 1946. On to the Next!

message 9: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #7 Doctor Zhivago (Pasternak) A pretty good book. The storyline didn't interest me as much as being able to follow the results of the revolution happening in the background. Cool History!
#8 The Hobbit (Tolkien) Great story! I enjoyed it thoroughly. Quite a bit lighter than the Lord of the Rings trilogy! On to the Next!

message 10: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #9 The Outsiders (Hinton) Another book that I somehow escaped reading through high school. I can see why its so popular. Very good and very easy to read. On to the Next!

message 11: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #10 Mrs. Dalloway (Woolf) Very good book. Done in the stream of consciousness style that Jack Kerouac made famous. Very well written. On to the Next!

message 12: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Pin a rose on you! 10 down.

message 13: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments Mary Todd wrote: "Pin a rose on you! 10 down."

thanks! but I have 90 more to go to make my goal this year! Can I make it? I don't know!

message 14: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments YES YOU CAN (to borrow a phrase)

message 15: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #11 Common Sense (Paine) Very good. Really lets you see what the mood was like as Americans were gearing up to officially declaring their independence. I enjoyed reading a slice of history! On to the Next!

message 16: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #12 Cryptonomicon (Stephenson) Occasionally confusing but ultimately a thrilling, thought provoking, furiously interesting read. On to the Next!

message 17: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #13 The Eyre Affair (Fforde) Absolutely hilarious book! Loved the imagination and the alternate reality represented there. Also loved the literary references. Great! On to the Next!

message 18: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments The next, Next? Heehee...have you ever listened to a Thursday Next book...the reader is fab!

message 19: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #14 The Closing of the American Mind (Bloom) Interesting subject, philosophy and the importance to universities, however it was written in the 1980s so some of it is a little outdated. Good overall though. On to the Next!

message 20: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #15 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (Carroll) I some how missed reading these when I was younger. I thoroughly enjoyed the imagery and fantastical characters and situations. On to the Next!

message 21: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #16 The Necklace and Other Short Stories (de Maupassant) Awesome stories! He is one of the better writers I have read. I loved all the stories but especially The Necklace, The Horla, and Mme Fifi. On to the Next!

message 22: by Luzcasa (last edited Mar 12, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #17 Howl's Moving Castle (Jones) Very cute story that combines magic with romance and adventure. I can see how it could be made into a really good anime movie. Perhaps I will see it sometime. On to the Next!

message 23: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #18 Ender's Game (Card) Really good sci fi thriller story that is written for young people to read and enjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the world created was really interesting. Tempted to get into the rest of the series. On to the Next!

message 24: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #19 Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (Wolfe) I really enjoyed the writing style that Wolfe employed in this book. One could really feel as though they were experiencing the action. Kind of similar to On the Road but a little more action oriented. On to the Next!

message 25: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #20 The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald) I really enjoyed this book, more than I thought I would. The story was interesting, not at all what I imagined, and the writing was good. On to the Next!

message 26: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #21 Little Women (Alcott) I never could finish this book as a child because my name is Beth too...So I always gave up as she got sick. I finally forced myself to finish and I am glad I did. Its a really good book!! On to the Next!

message 27: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #22 The Shack (Young) A very interesting book. There were some things I did not agree with but its like that with all books for me. Very emotional and moving also. On to the Next!

message 28: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #23 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Kesey) Not exactly what I expected, but good nevertheless. On to the Next!

message 29: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #24 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Rowling) It took me this long to get around to reading this last book. It was better than I thought, though a little rushed at times. I liked the ending and thought it fitting. Can't wait to see it on the movie screen! On to the Next!

message 30: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) You are doing great! Almost 1/2 way there!!!

message 31: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #25 The Brethren (Grisham) A friend recommended that I read this because he felt that recent political events were straight out of this plot. Hmmmmm. I don't know that I agree, but it was classic Grisham. On to the Next!

message 32: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments ------ <----the half-way mark, and you passed it!!!

message 33: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #26 Watchmen (Moore) A very interesting book/graphic novel. Alternate universe, action, politics, etc. Now I need to see the movie! On to the Next!

message 34: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #27 Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck) A sad story with an even sadder ending, but I really like Steinbeck's writing style. On to the Next!

message 35: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #28 Answering the Call (Budreau) a fascinating account of the duty that army nurses went through during WWI. Because my library is a government depository, I ran across this book. It is filled with photographs, diary entries and historical citations from government histories. On to the Next!

message 36: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #29 Roanoke: The Abandoned Colony (Kupperman) Good book detailing what led to Roanoke being founded and what caused them to disappear. It also gives all the possibilities of the final destination of the colonists. Interesting. On to the Next!

message 37: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #30 Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (Clarke) Awesome book! Kinda long but well filled out with history, languages, etc. of her world detailed. Looking forward to more of her world written.
#31 The Andromeda Strain (Crichton) Very interesting. Easy read. On to the Next!

message 38: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #32 Lord of the Flies (Golding) An interesting premise. However I found it quite a bit savage and not something that I like to contemplate! On to the Next!

message 39: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #33 Persuasion (Austen) I would venture to say that this is tied with Pride & Prejudice for my favorite Austen book. I loved it! I can think of no other words to say about it! On to the Next!

message 40: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #34 Atlas Shrugged (Rand) Awesome!! So glad that I read it and reading it at this time makes it seem so much more real to me than if I had read it when I was younger. I would love to be able to attend a class or book discussion group regarding this. There is so much to try to understand and contemplate that it can seem overwelming. Now I will have to try to read The Fountainhead. On to the Next!

message 41: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #35 The Insect Warriors (Levie) an interesting science fiction book written in the 60s. I enjoyed the story even though it does not have the overarching storylines that our later science fiction books contain. Still fun read though. On to the Next!

message 42: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #36 Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler (Queenan) It was funny and quite sarcastic. However a little outdated for me to be reading it now. I hope he has written some more recently about movies. On to the Next!

message 43: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #37 The Moviegoer (Percy) considered a classic of southern literature, this is a book that I was supposed to have read in college but avoided. I found it to be boring in many spots and yet strangely fascinating in others. The idea of malaise hitting someone for no reason on sunny days and being on a search to figure out why you are someone or anyone is something that I can understand. On to the Next!

message 44: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #38 The Historian (Kostova) Very interesting book. I really enjoyed it, largely because I have a history degree, but also because Dracula fascinates me. His legend is one of the roots of the idea of vampires which are suddenly so popular. I enjoyed it very much. Although I'm just not sure how a movie would play out of it. On to the Next!

message 45: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #39 The Road (McCarthy) very good book. My first of his that I have read. Excellent dystopian novel, although he was quite vague about how it all occurred which made me want to know more. I think I might try some of his other stuff now. On to the Next!

message 46: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #40 The Mole People (Toth) I'm not sure I really liked this book...I was really looking forward to reading it because it promised to be a fascinating subject. However I read somewhere that many of the things she wrote about were unsubstantiated. Still interesting subject though. On to the Next!

message 47: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #41 The Epic of Gilgamesh. An interesting story however, Middle Eastern works are not my favorites. I prefer Beowulf or Sir Gawain. It was a good story though. On to the Next!

message 48: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #42 The Picture of Dorian Gray (Wilde). Very interesting story. It also is very thought provoking regarding whether ones sins will show upon the body. I'm glad I read it, and had been looking forward to it for some time. Wilde was a very good writer and quite controversial too. On to the Next!

message 49: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #43 Treasure Island (Stevenson) I had never read this story before although I knew the plot line because it is so famous and became the backbone of most pirate adventures following. I look back now and wish I had read it as a child. It would have really fired my imagination. On to the Next!

message 50: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #44 Peter Pan (Barrie) I never realized in all the peter pan stories I heard as a child and watched in movies how conceited peter really was. It seems so different to read the original! On to the Next!

« previous 1 3