What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Virus kills a lot of people (Four Horsemen?)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments This one is from my Mom. She read this a while ago and can't remember a whole lot about it. A deadly virus, she thinks man-made, is released and kills a lot of people. A cure exists, but for some reason people don't use it until the end when they get it (break into?) a pharmaceutical company. The other thing she remembers is that people weren't very nice to each other, not taking care of each other.

message 2: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas | 22 comments This describes quite a few books. Does she remember any more details? Did it kill both genders?

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (_lauraann_) | 1 comments This reminds me of "The Stand" by Stephen King.

message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments Any white foamy stuff? Floating Dragon - Peter Straub.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
The God Virus by J.E. Murphy: Some are reluctant to use a cure.

Echoes of Savanna by Lucinda Moebius: Defines a generation

Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card: ethics of survival

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card: issues of politics, power, manipulation, and what price genius

message 6: by Barbara (last edited Jun 05, 2012 07:35AM) (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 52 comments The Andromeda Strain Michael Crighton

message 7: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 138 comments There was no cure or pharmaceutical company in The Stand so it's not that one.

message 8: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jun 09, 2013 04:54PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Here's a bump and a bit more info

The picture on the front was the Four Horsemen of the apocalypse and the title may have had something to do with the four horsemen.

She read it probably in the seventies and it may have been new then.

Thanks for the suggestions, but they weren't right. The virus killed both genders.

message 9: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments We got looking through Listopia, and found a book that may be right, The Fourth Horseman by Alan E. Nourse It's close with a Horseman on the cover, the title somewhat right and in the earlyish eighties. It's a bit later than she thought, but not way out of the ballpark. My Mom's working on getting more information about the book.

I'll put this in possibly solved, but if there are any other suggestions, or if anyone knows anything about this Fourth Horseman book (not much on it's page) feel free to post.

message 10: by Feliks (last edited Jun 09, 2013 07:19PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) It reminds me of an unsolved question I have about a similar-themed plot. I wonder if we're seeking the same title.

Here's my original post in 'Horror Aficionados'
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/mt9ctm5

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39320 comments Mod
Shanna_redwind, any closer to knowing if Alan E. Nourse's book is your book?