Jane Austen discussion

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (last edited Jun 03, 2012 11:17PM) (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 87 comments Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter is about an Austen fan going on an Austen tour through England with others, and at certain points in the story actually crosses over into the book Pride and Prejudice. The part that is set in the modern world was done very well with the main character's situation repeating those of Elizabeth's. The one guy on the trip lives out the Darcy character, with the two of them getting off on a bad foot as she overhears him say she isn't that attractive. The two then have a sparring relationship, sometimes getting along while at other times fighting. Other characters on the tour end up resembling characters from the book as well. The funniest parts of the book are when she is reading the novel Pride and Prejudice and chastises Elizabeth for her actions, but yet is repeating them herself.

The part of this book I didn't like was her crossover as I disliked the way they portrayed Mr. Darcy. They made him too one-dimensional. The main character also starts really disliking because his views are "old-fashioned", completely forgetting the fact that he is from another time and his views will reflect the era he grew up in.

On the whole it wasn't a bad novel, but the parts I felt were the best written were those that took place in the modern world because how close the author makes her story to the Austen one.

Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter

message 2: by Ev (new)

Ev (navysister) I'm in the middle of this book now. I'm really enjoying it.