The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Lord of the Flies
This topic is about Lord of the Flies
Rory Book Discussions > Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
The June book is William Golding's Lord of the Flies.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) So, only today I got to read the first chapter. The atmosphere is threatening and heavy with conflicts to come from the beginning. Reading it felt like awaiting a thunderstorm when the air is so thick you can hardly take it in.
Although the plot sounds interesting to me and I want to read the book I have trouble actually reading what happens to the boys in their isolation. Am I the onlyone feeling like this?

Helen | 5 comments Just finished it! I think I might know what you mean, the writing style is interesting because though the language seems carefully chosen and full of this poetic menace, everything that happens is also experienced through the boys so it is almost like a list of things happening at times and halfformed thoughts. But actually I felt it was quite easy to stay gripped by it after a few pages. I agree that I also found the first few chapters more difficult to read but stick with it! I found it really terrifying and would love to discuss the ending with someone once they've finished :)

Amanda | 6 comments Personally, it wasn't my favorite book in the world. The only thing that got me through it was the symbolism, like Piggy's glasses, or the boar's head, or Simon. Would anyone like to discuss this?

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) Just finished the last pages. The feeling I had in the first chapter didn't leave me the whole book. Which is hard to read but also very effective.

I wonder what the others think?

Helen | 5 comments I agree not my favourite book but I really liked the language. I thought Simon was almost symbolic of a christ like figure? and the Conch was also quite symbolic, especially when it broke.

Nikoline (annenikoline) I liked the book even though I watch the film in school before I even knew it was a book. It's not one of my favourite books, but I do think it has a lot to show.

Doreen | 11 comments I liked the book. Not one of my favourites though. Disagree too much with Golding about human nature.

I did like the setting, the whole "social experiment" idea, and the symbolism the book uses: Jack, Ralph and Piggy (reminding of Freud's id, ego, superego), the conch (democracy), the glasses (reason?) and their shattering, the painting of the faces...

Simon though, is still a bit of a mystery to me. How did you guys see Simon's role in the book? Helen, what did you mean by Christ like figure?

Nikoline (annenikoline) Very cleaver, Doreen! I didn't think about Freud's id, ego and superego before you mentioned it. Spot on!

Emily | 1 comments I really liked this book. We read it in my AP English class senior year and I agree with Doreen on everything she said. Did any of you think it was interesting how the boys basically had to grow up into leadership roles when they landed on the island? I kind of think it has something to do with some children having to grow up too fast. Especially during the time period of the book, most little boys,with their fathers off to war, may feel like they have to be the man of the family and that is kind of what they did on the island.

message 11: by Alexandria (new) - added it

Alexandria (msalimarie20) Hello, I'm new to this group as well as this website. Did everyone just start the book?

message 12: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Hi, Alexandria. This book is our June read but feel free to post in this thread when you want to discuss it.

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 72 comments I've already read this book for my AP English class also. I know from class that Simon was SUPPOSED to be a Christ figure, but honestly i don't really see it. Simon's whole "ness" sort of confused me. I understand all the symbolism (conch, glasses etc) and the morals, the double meanings, but frankly the book was too depressing for me to really LIKE. However, it WAS very well written.

message 14: by Jean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean K | 2 comments Simon is symbolic of a Christ figure b/c he sacrifices himself to save all of them - confronting the "beast" (on one level the pilot snagged on the rock) but on another with recognizing that the true beast lie within each of us (our potential to do/be evil). If you look at Simon as being intensely blue eyed, there is also the connection with him "seeing" much sooner than Piggy or Ralph. Simon knows he will never leave the island - his "departure" is described as very peaceful and spiritual. There is wisdom here in not looking past those who appear weak as they may indeed be the strongest among us all.

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 72 comments That makes sense, but how did he save them? I feel his death didn't impact anybody in any real way...