The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars) The Courtship of Princess Leia discussion

The Courtship of Princess Leia: Dave Wolverton

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nolan (new)

Nolan Pugh The Courtship of Princess Leia serves as a great supplement to the Star Wars movie series. This addition to the Star Wars expanded universe follows Han Solo's proposal to Princess Leia against the backdrop of the ever expanding Galactic Civil War. The dialogue and scenery that Wolverton creates throughout this piece makes the reader feel like their simply watching another one of the movies, I found it very hard to put this book down as the action and pacing continued to heighten up until the very climax. The action scenes in this novel were broken up with scenes of deep emotional drama which, despite their polar opposite moods, never slowed down the story a bit.

J.R. Broadwater I'm a huge SW fan and have been reading the EU since Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy was first released. I have to say out of the "Bantam" era books this was one of my least favorite, especially as a capstone to a story that was carried through the excellent X-Wing novels. The best thing to come out of this book was the expression "Kiss my wookie."

Brett like J.R.-> I found Courtship of Princess Leia to be my least favorite & X-Wing series my favorite.

Gerd It's been such a long time I read that book.
In Courtship there's for the first time brought up the idea that the Rancor are sentient beings, right?

I remember that I didn't like that part much - still, wouldn't call it the worst entry, not even for the usually better than average (and at times peaking into brilliant) run of books pre New Jedi Order.

Kev Anderson annoyed me more, and I thought Jeter's Boba Fett trilogy to be a rather tedious read.

J.R. Broadwater Yeah the Kev Anderson books were horrible. Stackpole did a better job telling that story in half of I, Jedi than Anderson did in three novels. The Black Fleet Crisis were probably the worst of the Bantam books. They were almost unreadable.

David This was one of the weaker early entries in the Star Wars EU, IMO

Deeptanshu This was one of the first SW novels I ever read so I cant help but be nostalgic about it still I admit compared to many others is a bit of a filler but its still a good and enjoyable book to read.

Mark Kaye This was IMO one of my top 5 Favorite SW books. It introduced an array of new characters that would go on to be dominant in the SW Universe both pre and post Yavin. Shame that the Post Yavin stuff is now Non Canon.

message 9: by J (last edited Jan 22, 2015 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

J I think there is a reason that Dave Wolverton was never invited to do another adult Star Wars novel. I was once in a conversation with Timothy Zahn at a convention and he described how writers on Star Wars seem to want to say: "Look at what MY Luke can do!"

In this book shortly after being tortured and basically infirmed he is able to fly the Falcon, better than a regular pilot while simultaneously operating all the weapons. Something not even Han and Chewie could do together. I've always felt Star Wars was at it's best when the Force was giving someone an edge, but not making them a god.

That said, the book was ok. But I think it suffered from introducing too many elements that didn't work. The idea of a floating school of Jedi (Chun'thor) was a good one but never touched upon again. The witches both good and bad didn't re-appear in the books until Fate of the Jedi, and the fact the whole point of the Imperial blockade was to keep the dark witches contained seemed to have been thrown away, like burning down a prison and not worrying about the convicts.

I don't remember the publishing order but my first introduction Zsinj was this novel, he's presented as a 2 dimensional comic book villain complete with cartoony superweapon to kill everyone. If that was his goal I'm sure he could have merely bombarded the planet from orbit to achieve the same effect.

message 10: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Kaye J wrote: "I think there is a reason that Dave Wolverton was never invited to do another adult Star Wars novel. I was once in a conversation with Timothy Zahn at a convention and he described how writers on S..."

Despite everything here being correct, it was still one of my favorite books, however, a lot of the stuff introduced into this book, and a lot of other Starwars books was simply forgotten. Its a shame really because there was so much good material out there that could have been used. So many characters just vanished into thin air, so many themes just abondoned. Oh well.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I don't know if it was like the movies. Some of the scenes were pretty crazy and it seemed like Han was completely out of character.

message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary J wrote: "I think there is a reason that Dave Wolverton was never invited to do another adult Star Wars novel. I was once in a conversation with Timothy Zahn at a convention and he described how writers on S..."

I just recently finished this and I kind of felt that it was more Wolverton saying "look at what my Han Solo" can do. He was just kind of out of character.