Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

What Age Did you Become Addicted & Who or What Inspired You to Become Addicted to Books & Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It all started when I was probably 4 or 5. My mom would read me Bible stories before bed. Then she moved in on reading me the classics, but the real version not the Disney watered down version. Needless to say Pinocchio scared the snot out of me as a little kid as did some of the other classic Children's bedtime stories/fairy tales.
By about the second grade I got to the point where I could read on my own and it was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT! At this age I was going through my Little House on the Prairie phase. Once Laura grew up it got boring. And yes, my grandmother did make me Little House dresses with the pinafore!
The schools I attended in elementary the teachers always read us wonderful books. Some of the ones I remember fondly are:
The Great Gilly Hopkins
The BFG
The Peppermint Gang
The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe
Bridge to Terrabithia
Junior high and high school I was well known for having my nose in a book when I had a free moment. I constantly was going to the library and getting as many books as possible to tide me over for the summer.
The weird thing is though when it came to birthdays or holidays for some reason people would STILL ask what I wanted...umm hello..if you know me you know I love to read...that simple stupid! :)

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) I was probably 3 or 4. We had TONS of the Dr. Seuss and other Golden Books in my house (the joys of having seven older cousins!), and my parents would read those to me until I learned to read on my own at 4.

Until I was 7, I lived right down the street from a library, so I would always go to the library at least once a week, my little Radio Flyer wagon in tow, piled high with either books to be returned or books to read.

But, I really took of when I hit first grade, during my class' first trip to the school library. My teacher was phenomenal, and she knew I was super-bored during phonics and reading lessons because I could already read and the other kids couldn't. So, she took me to the sections of chapter books and told me I was the only one who was allowed to check out those books. Man, did I ever feel special! And, the kids looking jealously at my Little House on the Prairie and Babysitter Club books while they had their picture books was a pretty good feeling, too!

I didn't become a massive book collector until college, though. It was something about having to buy books for classes that kicked something in my brain. Now, I can't stop!

I'm even in the process of looking for a new bookshelf to house all my books because the ones I have are already full. This should all be fun to move in a few weeks, when I get transferred to another town!

message 3: by Bree (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) I learned to read when I was 3...I still have the book (it was Little Bear). And I've loved it ever since!

When I was in the first grade, the teacher said that by the end of the school year, if we could read 100 book (by ourselves, not our parents reading TO us), we'd get a really great prize. I think I read 100 books in the first couple months...we were allowed to check out 3 books at a time from the library, and I did, every day. So, my prize was a Care Bears book of poems about sleeping/bedtime. I still have it, too...with the note my teacher wrote. I was one of 2 kids that got one of those prizes, lol.

By Grade 3, my little brother was starting Kindergarten, and so I tried to borrow books for him to help him learn to read, and the librarian actually told me I wasn't allowed to borrow them (until I explained why, of course)...at that point I was reading at a grade 5-6 level.

When I moved to a REALLY small town, I got bored quickly because the school library only had incredibly out-dated books (they NEVER got new ones in, no budget for it). The town library was a little bit better - though we didn't have an inter-library system then.

But when I turned 18 and moved away from home, I moved to a bigger city, with an AWESOME library...I never looked back! I love reading...and pick up books at the store when I haven't had the chance to get to the library (I'm back to living in a REALLY small town, lol). Our library doesn't generally have a lot of good books in it, but we have the inter-library system so I can get my hands on pretty much anything I want. And that's why I love GoodReads so much, lol...I'm able to list ALL the books I'll ever want to read, cause between one time and the next, I'd have forgotten!

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Heather (trixieplum) I started reading when I was about 3 or 4 years old -- My mom used to take me to the library every week, and we'd come home with an enormous stack of books! I remember sitting with her while she read all the books out loud. One day, I picked one up and just started reading on my own (it was Cowardly Clyde by Bill Peet - Still my all-time favorite children's book). I was hooked!!!

message 5: by pop (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

pop I can't say for sure when I got hooked on reading. It was at a young age. As soon as I could read fairly well, that's all I wanted to do. I used to spend every minute I could in libraries. Later, women, music and ...other pursuits kind of left reading behind...for a while. I always seem to come back to it. The workaday world often wiped out any inclination to read in the evenings, I'd try, but not get far before I'd fall asleep in my chair. I soon discovered I'd have to be more selective in what I read to get any done. Now, I read a few chapters, if I can put it down and not be in a hurry to get back to it, I probably won't even go back to it. Now, it's more fun to write them than read them. Computers have made that so much easier than it used to be.

message 6: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Beth In sixth grade. My teacher had the best selection of books and gave us an hour each Friday to read. Of course we had to do a report, blah, blah, blah, but the choices were good and she made it fun. By the time I got to Junior High was reading a book a day (or a least trying to). Ended up working in the library my senior year.

message 7: by Bronwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Bronwen | 6 comments I think I was 3 or 4 when my mother bought a phonics learn to read book and taught me to read and write, because I kept trying to copy my older sisters homework ... in her notebook (she was not happy).
When we went to the library to get a library card for me, the librarian said why ... she will only look at the pictures and I, quite indignantly replied "I can read" and read aloud the signs on her desk, I got my own card. I went to a one room country school from grade 1 to 3, when we moved to the U.S. I tested 8th grade reading level and 3rd grade in math, so they put me in 4th grade. Of course we had books all over the house, my mother read mysteries and travel and exploration books; my father read science fiction, adventure and political books, so we all had access to a variety books. Books are always a good present to me. I started as an aide in the High School library in 10th grade and after I graduated was hired as a clerk in the Middle School Library. I have always worked in Libraries ... I love finding new authors for our patrons. I really like introducing books to new readers.

message 8: by Sally (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Sally I do come from a family of readers, so that helped, but when I was in 6th grade our class (of 12 students)had a year long contest of who could read the most books. After giving an oral report to the teacher, a book card with our name and book went on the wall. The book cards went all the way around the room along the ceiling line. I was determined to be the best, and remember being neck and neck with another girl at times.

message 9: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 18 comments I think the addiction likely begins at childhood. Especially for kids who have parents that read to them. I also read the Little House series, then moved on to other series (Babysitters Club, SweetValley, etc.). I think this developed my love of books in a series. Once I grew bored with those I started climbing the washing machine to steal my mom's VC Andrews books! Another series! Naughty naughty!

message 10: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments I started reading in ernest around five and six. I loved Arch books, and Golden books and of course Dr. Suess. But I also read all the Little House on the Praire books and Ramona, Brother Grimms and Aesops Fables, Lad the Dog, Johnny Tremain, Anne of Green Gables, Hardy boys and Nacy Drew and most of these were read between the ages of 6-12 plus a bunch of my favorite classics like, Three Musketeers, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, Captains Courageous, Jungle Book, To The Moon And Mars and Other Stange Places and some auto-biographies of our first Presidents.

message 11: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Rachael | 23 comments I was always read to as a child. I don't ever remember a time that I didn't love reading. Some of my favorites when I younger are: Baby Sitters Club, Sweet Valley Kids, Pee Wee Scouts, Beinstien Bears, and Little Critters.

message 12: by lindsey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

lindsey knott | 2 comments its hard to say when i started reading. both my parents and my brother and sister all read a lot. when i was homeschooled my mom would read to us from these biographies of people. thomas jefferson etc. then i joined book it! it was a club where you got gold stars for each book you read. then we went to pizza hut and we got free personal pan pizzas. then at the end of the year if you had read so many books you got a free pass to six flags.

message 13: by Mont'ster (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Mont'ster | 58 comments I have been reading for as long as I can remember. My parents read books to me when I was really young and I have helped my dad "sort" books (again) for as long as I can remember. We have always been surrounded by books. Reading was always just the most natural thing to do.

message 14: by Guillermo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Guillermo (eprayer) | 9 comments I must've become addicted when I was in middle school and realized that I still couldn't read properly. Most people get discouraged by that and I suppose I would've had it not been for me hunkering down and reading Great Expectations. I can't stand the book now, but when I was in eigth grade, that book meant the world to me. The only probably was that the teacher wanted us to read outloud in class. I didn't want to because I knew that I was way behind than the rest of the class--how I got into an honors class is beyond me at that point--so I never raised my hand to be picked and my grade suffered for this. I did all I could by reading out loud. I read that book and then whatever other book I could get my hands on. I just read and read until finally I was picking it up. Books have become my life now. I just wish I had the funds to aid my addiction.

message 15: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 18 comments A book addition is the best to have Guillermo! Thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets are all great and super cheap venues for books. And the library! Books are free there! Of course you have to give them back...

message 16: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Mike Like Raelynne, I can’t remember a time before reading. My Dad was an avid reader. He would let me stay up late on the weekend to read with him. He put classical music on the stereo and we would both just sit and read until late at night. I also remember sharing and trading with my cousins for the Tom Swift Jr Adventures (Tom Swift and His Atomic Earth Blaster was a fav) along with most of the Hardy Boys collection. The one book that really stands out in my memory was my Digby Allen "Lost City of Uranus". Somehow the treasure map floating in a bottle in space and the spacemen that spoke like 18th Century pirates seemed quite logical to me. I read that book many times and trace my reading addiction to it. Still have it.

message 17: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) I used to do Book It!, too, Lindsey! I LOVED that program!

Then, my school decided to go all high-tech and do Accelerated Reader. I was always the kid in the class with the highest point totals. I do remember, though, going through a period in 6th grade where I hated school (NOT a good time in my life), and my mother basically locked me in my room until I finished Anne of Green Gables to meet my AR goal... Kind of strange that, after that experience, I love Anne of Green Gables...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

WOW I wonder what your mom thought of you sneaking VC Andrews books.....and those can get graphic! :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I grew up on those Arch paperbacks! I think my mom still has a couple of those. :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds like a great way to spend a Friday night Mike. :) I wish my parents would have done that when I was growing up. Actually sometimes on Sundays my mom would have us have our 'quiet' time and she'd provide us with a little napkin filled with candy and chocolate to munch on while we read or relaxed, napped, etc. It was fun!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so excited how everyone enthusiastically responded to my question!! It's nice to know I'm not the lone bookworm/nerd here:)
I wish there were kids today as enthusiastic as all of us!

message 22: by Alissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Alissa (book_girl_14) | 3 comments I became addicted around 5 or 6. My mom was always reading and my nanny (for when my parents worked) always read to me.

message 23: by amber (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

amber | 1 comments like some others, i don't remember a time without reading. my parents read to me as a child and later my mom and i would read together. i remember being in 4th grade and having a huge list of books i wanted for christmas and birthdays. nothing has changed! my mom and i would go to the bookstore and load up on books and then spend the weekends reading on the couch or, in cold weather, in front of the fire. those are some of my favorite memories.

message 24: by Marts (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 32 comments I think my father, he does a lot of reading and he collects too!!

message 25: by Bliss (last edited Dec 30, 2007 12:45AM) (new)

Bliss (blissreads) | 16 comments I was very young. One of my aunts was my sitter and she would read Green Eggs and Ham to me all the time. Then in first grade or so, I won a book as a prize in a dance contest. I was so proud of myself.

Even as a young girl, the library was my favorite place to hang out, both at school and at home. Thank God for places where we can still learn for free.

message 26: by Minnie (new)

Minnie | 13 comments my mother was a librarian in a small town and always encouraged us to read. I'm her most successful reader but all of my siblings also enjoy a good read.
I am just going to stir a little and ask if avid readers don't sometimes use reading as a cop-out from life? I often feel that I like books because they give me no back-chat.

message 27: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 30, 2007 04:29AM) (new)

Alexandra I cannot remember a time I didn't love books. First being read to, then reading myself. I could read before I started kindergarten - Dr. Suess and Golden Book types. My parents and my older sister read to me quite alot, and once I could read on my own I read daily. My parents also took us on weekly trips to the library, and understood the importance of reading. In first grade I had access to the school library, and my own library card at the city library. And the Scholastic books sold through class, and yearly school booksales. Heaven. My mother always let me get several books each time, although she had to give me a limit or I probably would have bought one of each LOL.

My father read himself more than my mother did, although my mother was a reader as well. I think she just had less leisure time, at least when we were home. I suspect she would do her reading when we were at school. But my mother was my primary support and encouragement in reading. She understood the importance and always made sure I had a book to read. As much as I read, that says alot.

Being read to often as a child, and also seeing parents and older siblings read themselves is a big factor in kids becoming readers. I was highly motivated to learn to read because others couldn't read to me as often as I wanted to be read to.

It's funny, I don't recall ever getting books for birthdays or Christmas as a kid. As much as I loved to read and of course my parents knew that. I think because to me reading was like eating or breathing it never occured to me to ask for them. And perhaps my parents prefered to let me pick my own books :)

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) I started reading when I was 3 maybe.... I started kindergarten at 4, and already knew how to read when the other kids were just coloring and trying to sound out small words. When they were doing that, my teacher put me behind her desk and I read books.

My dad would always let me read almost anything that I could get my hands on.... the newspaper, magazines, labels.... just about anything.

I was always in Advanced Placement english classes in school.....I think they are called honors classes now.... so I was constantly reading books that were required readings for college classes. By the time I got to my senior year in high school and got my required summer reading list.... I had already read all the books...think there were 10 or so on it.

Luckily, my youngest son loves to read.... he loves the classics. My oldest, however, if it doesnt involve cars, he won't touch a book.

message 29: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Heather, I teach fourth grade, and there ARE still kids as enthusiastic about reading! It's so refreshing to see them-- and it gets ME excited about reading, too, inspiring me to make time for reading even in the midst of my busy schedule!

message 30: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (splummer54) I was in 3rd grade and couldn't read very well or should say I didn't want to read. Had lots of trouble comprehending what I read. My teacher noticed that. She tested me and put me in a special program. From that day on I have been an avid reader. Have read lots of books, I even have a whole book self from ceiling to floor full of books. I keep the ones I like the most. Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors. Have read all her books. Well, may have missed a couple. LOL Take Care!!

message 31: by Giselle (new)

Giselle I'm new to this group, but I HAD to join when I saw the title... I am most definitely a book-buying addict!

I don't really remember a time without books as an integral part of my life. From the time I was a baby, my mom read books to me and taught me the sounds of the letters. I somehow internalized this and just learned to read-- I don't really remember not being able to read. I know I could read before I went to school. I loved picture books--the better the pictures, the more I liked them. I had tons of Golden books, Arch books, and classic picture books that were passed down from my cousin and purchased by friends and relatives.

When I was in first grade, a classmate introduced me to The Bobbsey Twins, and I was immediately hooked. I read those every chance I got for the next 5 or 6 years! (I'm almost finished collecting all 71 titles in the series!)I also loved Encyclopedia Brown, Little House on the Prairie, The Babysitters Club (I cringe to think of that now), and pretty much any books about pioneers, large families, and hiding Jews from the Nazis. Some of these interests carried into my teen years, as well. I also remember being fascinated by self-help psychology books like The Birth Order Book and books on parenting that I found on the shelves in my house! In college I took all kinds of literature and psychology classes--most likely inspired by my early love for the subjects!

Reading was a family event; my mom read to us all the time, and sometimes at night my dad would read to our whole family. I would often get lost in the world of books as I "grazed" through different titles on my own. (Wait--that still happens in bookstores and at home!) I, too, was one of those kids who checked out stacks of books from the library-- as many as I could carry, especially in the summer-- and I read only the ones that held my interest, with almost no remorse for the titles left unfinished.

As for my book-buying addiction, hmm... my earliest memories of book purchases were at "Friends of the Library" book sales with my mom when I was a kid. You could get such great deals there!!! Then I moved on to used book sales... and garage sales... and my parents (while responding with excitement to my individual purchases) began to wonder just where to put all these books! They were excited when I became a teacher and could move some of my stockpiles to my classroom. Also, I have found teaching to be a great way to both justify and finance my addiction-- Scholastic book club purchases earn points with which you can buy even more books! Yay! And it's all for the next generation, right??? ;-)

My individual book collections continue to grow, and I suppose I know it will always be that way. We have an amazing secondhand bookstore in Chattanooga, and they've just recently added shopping carts... very dangerous. Also, online shopping has become an all-too-easy way to purchase books. Ahh, well, books are some of my most valuable treasures, and I know I can't ever give them up. :)

message 32: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I honestly don't know who or what inspired me to become a reader. I remember taking home as many books from my first grade classroom as we were allowed every Friday, and that I had read every one of them multiple times by the end of the year.

One of the greatest joys, of course, was being introduced to the Weekly Reader flyers. My library grew exponentially from that moment on, with titles like "Why Can't I Fly?" and My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes" -- and my absolute favorite, "Sophie and Gussie." The latter was so well-loved that it literally fell apart. I'd give almost anything for a copy of that today.

message 33: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 1 comments I honestly can't even remember when i first started reading...I know it was either in 1st or 2nd grade...but ever since then I have read. I started of with Encylopedia brown and then moved on to the hardy boys. My cousin got me started on adult books like death by fire and total control...and that was when i was in High School...I would read every moment i got and would always look for the next book by the author i had just finished reading from.....When i was able to buy books on a regular basis I would go crazy...I have over 50 to 60 books not counting the books from college, that I still haven't read....Even though i'm reading like three books at a time I still go out and order more books becasue i can't have enough to read.....I think I need help......

message 34: by Tommy (last edited Dec 30, 2007 10:41PM) (new)

Tommy | 3 comments There's definitely some common themes here - the most pronounced of which is the young age at which bibliophiles start reading. I also started at 3-4 and had polished off most of EB White in kindergarten. I guess it's a good thing, but my wallet feels the pinch now because of my crazy addiction to books. Just dropped $500+ yesterday and $200 today - and I can't keep up with them. I think it's a great feeling to have the books around you that you know you want to read, even though the logical part of the brain is telling you that you'll never have time to read them all? I have close to 1000 books that I haven't read yet, but I love to tak them off the shelf, skim through, read a section, return.

The funny part about all this is that I'm a dreadfully slow reader. I think I read 20 books last year, and that was pushing it. So, I'll never get through what I have already on the shelves, with more to certainly come....

And I too, reached the height of childhood reading zeal with encylopedia brown. In fact, on my first date with my wife, we discovered that we both really loved EB books growing up - it was a bonding moment.

Happy new year to all you addicts out there, and remember - books are far from the worst things you could be hooked on.

(That's called Sudoku.)

message 35: by Salma (new)

Salma Age 3, when my mom got me a library card. I grew up in Queens, and our neighborhood library was just awesome- the scent when you walked in, the collection, the layout. Since then, I've been a complete book nerd.

message 36: by ScottK (new)

ScottK I was very lucky to have both a mother and a grandmother who loved to read to us (myself as well as my sisters) . Plus I can not remember a teacher that I had in Elementary school that didn't have a reading hour at least once a week.I used to get books once a month from the scholastic pamphlets that were passsed out to the class, I remember always being extra excited on the day the orders were delivered.

message 37: by Nicole (last edited Jan 05, 2008 08:34PM) (new)

Nicole | 5 comments My parents always read to me as a child, and I loved it. I would see them reading alot as well, and I just couldn't wait until I was old enough to read. I started reading at a early age because my parents saw I was determined to read. My parents were thrilled at how motivated I was. They worked with me constantly with flash cards and books, and got me Hooked On Phonics. Needless to say I have been addicted to reading since the age that I started at which was was three/four years old and my parents were my inspiration. I can't remember a time in my life without reading.

message 38: by Fenixbird (last edited Feb 10, 2008 05:56AM) (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 56 comments My parents were both big readers. So was my older brother. We had "family devotionals" so the minute I could read (at age 6--first grade--we lived too remote to bus to Kindergarten) we read from the King's James Version of the bible...almost daily...I would venture to say my lingual beginnings were in Middle English (alias Old English)...BECAUSE of this regular reading!!

My first books were given to me even BEFORE I could read..and my mother would read them to me! [since my brother was ordering books I got to order from the school book club (Scholastic?) too!!] My mother would also tell us her own personal stories at bedtime....I still remember them today & maybe will write them down...and make them into a longer story..with her blessings! What were my first books I owned??? Scholastic books of course! The Big Brown Bear and (yes) Clifford the Big Red Dog!!

Friends are often handing me reading materials (Thank God!)...so the inspiration keeps flowing through reading & sharing reading material & loaning & borrowing books (I am a big believer in SHARING thoughts! It is the artist & reformer in me!!)

READ to your children at ALL AGES...EVEN GROWN!!! WHY? A school principal shared with me the most sobering thought of the day/month:

....Prisons populations are projected based on the # of third graders who cannot read....

Would you rather your child/ren become addicted to reading....or addicted to drugs? porn? gangs? food?

Teresa

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris M. | 3 comments I don't remember the age I tried my first real book. I couldn't have been more than 5, but I remember like it was yesterday.

The book was a biography of Abraham Lincoln. It was the first "chapter book" I'd ever read and I was stunned by it. By the time I was 10, I'd burned through all the Hardy Boys books published at the time and was strung out at an estate sale trying to score a first edition Encyclopedia Brown. In a pinch, I was able to get by on non-fiction WWII books, but the rush isn't quite the same. My Dad found at me at home hours later--locked in the bathroom trying read a can of Lysol.

Turns out, my Dad was a book addict, too. He thought we didn't know, but it was obvious. I mean c'mon...3 trips a week to the library, 5 or 6 books at a whack?! That's big time.

We started going to libraries together and he turned me on to Agatha Christie. Ever since, I've been hardcore. Not just mystery either. Oh sure, I ate up Poe and Conan Doyle. But, God help me, by 14 I'd read Macbeth, Candide, and Native Son and I LIKED 'EM. Pretty soon, I was scrounging aluminum cans for the cash to keep me in hard covers.

By 16, I'd read the Iliad and the Odyssey...in Latin. Sure, people tried to stop me. "It's not cool," they'd say, or "God, you're a dork." Or "Don't touch me." (Though I'm not sure what that last one had to do with reading.)

It's true what they say, you never get better. I will always be a book addict. I'm just glad that now I can share my secret shame with others.

message 40: by Mo (new)

Mo | 30 comments Mod
I must have been about 4 because I was already addicted before starting kindergarten. My mother inspired me because she read to me ALL the time and taught me to crave visits to the library and local bookstore. Mom is a teacher.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Never be ashamed Chris! I was cracking up about your comment and how your dad thought his family didn't notice his book addiction. Happy you found Good Reads :)

message 42: by Eric (new)

Eric My 6th grade teacher sealed my reading fate. She gave me a book to read, Demons Don't Dream by Piers Anthony, that I really enjoyed. Of course, that book was in the middle of Anthony's huge series so I had to read the ones before it and eventually the ones after it. I liked to read some before that book but really that is how it all started. I am sure my old teacher doesn't know it, but she made a life long reader out of me by giving me that one book. Thank you Mrs. Thompson!

message 43: by Ola (last edited Jan 20, 2008 02:10PM) (new)

Ola (ola_faleti) | 5 comments I think I would say my mom inspired me by teaching me to read the year before kindergarten. The first book I can remember being read to me was Mickey Mouse's Alphabet Soup. Then I wanted to read everything I could just to show other kids "Ha ha, I can read and you can't!" :-p.

It was during kindergaren that my teacher had me reading more advanced stuff, (most other kids were just learning how to read at this point) and from there I just kept going. First grade my teacher had me reading my first chapter books, the Miss Piggle-Wiggle series. God, I loved those! I was one out of three kids my teacher chose to give chapter books to. What an awesome feeling.

It was 4th grade that I truly became addicted, thanks to the "Ramona" series by Beverly Cleary. I loved those, and I would go through them like clockwork.

6th grade I became more interested non-children's fiction. I read The Color Purple for the first time, and nearly finished all of it in one day. I can't tell you how I felt after that, but it was a feeling I'd never gotten before after reading a book.

From there until now I've just become a gigantic book fiend. Sometime between 7th and 8th grade I started straying away from the YA section in libraries and ventured off to the other side, the "adult" side. I've begun to find YA fiction a bit repetitive, and everyone my age was reading it...I wanted to be different.

Just recently I finished A Clockwork Orange, and now I'm working on Roots (which is absolutely amazing.) That's a pretty long way from Mickey Mouse :o).

message 44: by Bree (new)

Bree I'm not sure but there are some very vivid memories in my head. I have always loved books, I don't remember a time when I didn't. I remember my dad reading to me at night, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia and other various and assundry other books, those are just the ones I remember the best.

I also remember very early on having a book that folded accordian style, it had no binding so you could open it either way and in the inside were these beautiful Chinese like drawings (watercolors) of butterflies. I could look at that for hours and just wonder about those butterflies.

The other memory I have is my dad taking me one time for my birthday and getting me the WHOLE collection of Trixie Belden books I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

And of course I am always reading way into the night because I just can't put the book down, as a little girl I would read by the nightlight trying to fool my mother into thinking I wasn't awake reading. The funny thing is my 12 year old son does the same thing except he sits in his bed with a head lamp on under his covers reading into the late night.

message 45: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 16 comments I guess i dont recall and exact age where i became a book-a-holic, but i do have some early memories that give a big warm fuzzy about books. As i child my mom would read me an illustrated Hans Christen Anderson book at bed time and i absolutely love it, in fact i think it was the first book i read as a child. Secondly we always had some Shel Silverstien around, and i still have copies of "the Giving Tree" and "Missing Peice".

When i was more advanced in my reading years summers meant two things, playing outside in the woods with Dad, and running to the library while my mom was teaching swimming lessons at the local pool. I must say that is when i really developed my addiction.

message 46: by Sarah (Ceekayy) (new)

Sarah (Ceekayy) Rains (ceekayy79) I've been reading for as long as I remember. I think it all started because every adult in my family (parents, grandparents aunts and uncles) that I had constant contact with read. I remember my mom fussing at me for reading while walking up the stairs. As a child I read The Little House on the Prairie series, Boxcar Children (the entire series) Nancy Drew, Agatha Christie, Encyclopedia Brown and any other random book I could fine. By the time I got to middle school I'd evolved into ghost stories of which my grandmother had many. Now I read everything.........I'm attempting to tackle the 1001 books you must read before you die list along with any random book that people suggest to me.

message 47: by Bronwen (new)

Bronwen | 6 comments My Mother taught me to read using a phonics book when I was about 3 1/2 or 4, I know it was because I was trying to copy the letters from my older sisters homework ... totally messing up her papers. From then on I read everything I could get my hands on ... I went to a one room country school in Canada, we had grades 1 through 5 each row had a different grade. By Christmas I had read all the Dick and Jane books they had in the class. My parents read to us and whenever we went into town grocery shopping we also got to go to the library. I still remember the wood and book smell of the library. When we moved to the USA I tested 8th grade reading level but only 3rd grade level in math, so they put me in 4th grade. Fortunately my parents loved books too, and the library was close enough to walk to even in winter. So that is how I got started. I used to be able to get into books so far that I wouldn't hear anything around me. I read Carrie by Stephen King ... last book of his I read, I can't read horror or grisly serial murder books. They haunt me. But everything else is fair game.

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate | 18 comments I was young when I became addicted to reading. My parents started me very early with picture books. For some reason, my sister doesn't share my enthusiasm for reading, but that is another story. I was very bookish as a child. I prefered reading to talking to people on the school bus. And I am so glad that, as I have gotten bigger, the desire to read hasn't gotten smaller.

message 49: by Cristina (new)

Cristina | 4 comments I wasn't a crazy little book worm when I was a kid. I read some good books, but I didn't utilize the library all that much. Shame on me. I was more into daydreaming, which tended to get me in trouble in school.
I really got into reading fiction while I was in college. I needed something to off set the drab medical texts. Ugh. That stuff is so boring.
Now, I don't go anywhere without a book.
I'd say my little sister really inspired my love of reading. She was the one in our family who read like crazy as a kid.

message 50: by T.K. (last edited Jan 31, 2008 08:32AM) (new)

T.K. Kenyon | 15 comments >>>Heather said: At this age I was going through my Little House on the Prairie phase. Once Laura grew up it got boring. And yes, my grandmother did make me Little House dresses with the pinafore!<<<

OMG! I read the Little House series probably over 100 times. I loved them. I had pinafore dresses with matching sunbonnets. I wanted lace-up shoes but could never find a pair in my size. I got into quilting in college, probably from an old meme-echo of them. I still remember that, when you churn your own butter, you shred a carrot and squeeze the carrot juice in to color it (LH Big Woods, iirc.)

TK Kenyon
www.tkkenyon.com