Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Doughnuts and Kisses and Damn Good Writing: Puzzler for June 4

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'll be away from the computer until around noon tomorrow, so I'm posting this early.

This one is so famous that it’s practically a giveaway, but I reread the scene today to study it. I was once again blown away by how good it is on so many levels.

“What I want and what I can have are two different things.” _____ leaned back farther, stretching her skirt, but her eyes were on the doughnut. “Get that thing away from me.”

“Okay.” _____ sat back and bit into it while she watched, the sugar rush distracting him for a moment until _____ bit her lip, her strong white teeth denting the softness there. His heart picked up speed, and she shook her head at him.

“Bastard,” she said.

He bit into the doughnut again, and she said, “That’s enough, I’m out of here,” and leaned forward to pull her skirt out from under him. “Would you get off—” she began, and he popped another piece of doughnut in her mouth and watched as her lips closed over the sweetness. Her face was beautifully blissful, her mouth soft and pouted, her full lower lip glazed with icing, and as she teased the last of the chocolate from her lip, ______ heard a rushing in his ears. The rush became a whisper—THIS one—and he breathed deeper, and before she could open her eyes, he leaned in and kissed her, tasting the chocolate and the heat of her mouth, and she froze for a moment and then kissed him back, sweet and insistent, blanking out all coherent thought. He let the taste and the scent and the warmth of her wash over him, drowning in her, and when she finally pulled back, he almost fell into her lap.

She sat across from him, her sweater rising and falling under quick breaths, her dark eyes flashing, wide awake, her lush lips parted, open for him, and then she spoke. “More,” she breathed and he looked into her eyes and went for her.

_____’s eyes were as dark as chocolate, and _____ panicked as he leaned close again. She put her hand on his chest, and said, “No, wait,” and he looked down and said, “Right,” and picked up another piece of doughnut. She opened her mouth to say, “No,” and he slipped the piece in and the heat of her mouth dissolved the icing as she closed her eyes, and the tang went everywhere, melting into pleasure. And when she opened her eyes, he was there.

He leaned forward and kissed her softly, his mouth fitting hers so perfectly that she trembled. She tasted the heat of him and licked the chocolate off his lip and felt his tongue against hers, hot and devastating, and when he broke the kiss, she was breathless and dizzy and aching for more. He held her eyes, looking as dazed as she felt, but she wasn’t deceived at all, she knew what he was.

She just didn’t care.

“More,” she said, and he reached for the pastry, but she said, “No, you,” and grabbed his shirt to pull him closer, and he kissed her hard this time, his hand on the back of her head, and she fell into him, as glitter exploded behind her eyelids. She felt his hand on her waist, sliding hot under her sweater, and her blood surged, and the rush in her head said, THIS one.

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
Oh I love this scene and this book! I knew what it was from the caption!
Great choice. If anyone hasn't read it you should read it now.

message 3: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2103 comments Mod
I have not read this and I love the scene! Can't wait to find out who it is.

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1922 comments Mod
I guessed it, though I haven't read this one in years. Great scene!

message 5: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I knew it by the caption too, DLS. I love this book too and haven't re-read in years. Good one, Janga.

Shh I'm reading! (thequietone) | 92 comments This doesn't sound familiar to me, but Krispy Kreme donuts? Sold!

message 7: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
The puzzler is from Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie. In the opinion of many, and I include myself among them, one of the best contemporary romances ever written.:)

message 8: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
As I recall, it won best book of the decade on the EJ/JQ board....so Janga you (and I) are not alone!