The Help The Help discussion

Which book?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andie I have to read a summer book for school and I have narrowed it down to three- The secret life of bees, fahrenheit 451, and the help. What do you guys think? I need help!

Krista Bingaman I would choose between Fahrenheit 451 and the Help. Both are amazing. I think 451 has more of a moral impact and I enjoyed it more. The Help was good though. Hope this helps! =]

message 3: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi I have not read Fahrenheit 451. I would choose The Help over The Secret Life of Bees.

April I read all these book and I think the Help would be my choice.

message 5: by Mj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mj I guess it depends how old you are, what kind of books you like and what options you have. Can you pick anything? What are your favourite top 5 books?

Megan Collier The help was my favorite of the three

message 7: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max Definitely The Help!

Cathy DuPont All three were great but my vote would be The Help.

Brown Girl Reading Andie wrote: "I have to read a summer book for school and I have narrowed it down to three- The secret life of bees, fahrenheit 451, and the help. What do you guys think? I need help!"

The Secret Life of Bees or Farenheit 451!

message 10: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat The Help was awesome. That gets my vote.

Cathy DuPont Andie: We're interested in your decision. Also, when do you need to have the book read? They're all about the same size if I remember right. You'll make the right decision whatever it is.

message 12: by Mj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mj Hi again Andie,

We might have some other ideas than the 3 you have narrowed it down to if you give us some idea of the limitiaton of your choices (how wide are they, can you choose anything), your age as it usually impacts what you like and don't like and what kind of books you generally like or perhaps you usually don't reach much which is ok. All will impact what we suggest.

I haven't read any of The Hunger Games but based on the ratings and I am thinking you are perhaps in high school, the first book might be a great book that you'd enjoy this summer and there are some other wonderful books out there also like Jellico Road.

What is the criteria for your summer read selection? Any background on your reading and preferences would be helpful in us recommending the best fit for you.

Take care, MJ

Tangled  Speculation I'm not sure what kind of books you like. Fahrenheit 451 is classic sci fi (and is easy to write a paper on). I enjoyed it a lot when I was in school. I recommend it.

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? I had to read Fahrenheit 451 when I was in high school. Reading because I have to has never really been one of my strong suits. I have read both The Help and The Secret Life of Bees and I enjoyed them both. I would like to read Fahrenheit 451 again as an adult and see if I would enjoy it. Picking right now, I would go with The Secret life of Bees since there is a lot less hype about that right now.

Joclyn I haven't read "Fahrenheit 451", I loved "The Help"! I'm thinking you might relate to "The Secret Life of Bees" because the main character is a teenage girl. Happy reading Andie!

Carol Smith I am now reading The Help and I'm halfway through and enjoying it very much. Of course it depends on what type of books you enjoy. All three have potential.

Andie Mj wrote: "Hi again Andie,
MJ-
We might have some other ideas than the 3 you have narrowed it down to if you give us some idea of the limitiaton of your choices (how wide are they, can you choose anything), your..."

There are five books on a list to choose from. I narrowed it down to these three. I'm in high school and I love to read. I normally read fiction and I enjoy all types of it. I have read both the Hunger Games and Jellico Road. I enjoyed both a lot. Hope that helps answer your questions.

Cathy DuPont Hi Andie: You have enough information here to make a decision. Just make it, don't put it off, and move forward. How nice of you to ask for suggestions. But the decision is yours and yours alone. There's plenty of information here for you to make your own decision. Start reading, friend, and enjoy one, two or better yet, all three.

message 19: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy My vote would be for The Secret Life of Bees b/c the main character is around your age. I've never read Fahrenheit 451 though. Happy Reading! Let us know what you picked and how you liked it :-)

message 20: by Evan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evan Williams No bad choices here. My recommendation: The Secret Life of Bees. The Help is outstanding, and the audio book is worth every penny, but at the end of the day, The Secret Life of Bees has the truly rounded characters. Enjoy!

Brown Girl Reading The Help is not an outstanding book. The so called dialect was appalling. It's watered down Jim Crow days.

Nancy The Secret Life of Bees and The Help are two of my favorite books of all time. My daughter read Fahrenheit 451 for school this past year and really liked it. It's on my to read list. My suggestion...read them all! :)

Nouran Gamal the help

message 24: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. the help all the way.... my favorite book of all time!