The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion

An Imperial Affliction

Comments (showing 1-50 of 202) (202 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Sydney Does An Imperial Affliction really exist? I really want to read it. Even though I know some spoilers, (if it is real) I really want to at least see if it's as good as Hazel says it is. Thanks for the help!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Google tells me it is a made-up book.

Maria No, it is not an existing book. Peter van Houten, is not a real person, which would only mean the book isn't. John Green has created this as a part of the storyline.

Gregory Taylor I think it's pretty interesting... In John Green's book about a girl who has cancer, he has a fictional author who has written a fictional book about a girl who has cancer. And then he has that author say some pretty blunt things about readers and fictional characters; about (naive?) readers who dare to think that fictional characters have a life on beyond the end of a book. And yet, Hazel and Gus still live on for all of us, right??

Robin yes, it seemed while reading the book that the imperial affliction was a real book, but that is what fiction is all about, correct? I think this was one more thing that Hazel and Gus wanted, it proved that writers in this case van Houten was a complete jerk.

Sydney I'm kind of sad since it isn't real but that's okay. Even if I was able to read it, I would be irritated with how jerkish van Houten was toward Hazel and Gus.

Rachel Dang it, I was really hopeing it was real. But i figured if John wrote all this stuff about the author being really rude and messed up then the book wasn't real. Cuz it would be super awkward if Van Houten read his book. He would be like, "Why is he making up all this stuff about me? And I've never met anyone named Hazel or Gus" If that makes any sense. Its hard to put what I'm thinking into words...haha

Robin The author made it "seem" like the book was real. This is a quality of a good writer, his/her ability to make the unbelievable believable.

Meagin i kinda wish it was real too but I love the fact that most of the book was based on another book. You have to give john props, i mean he created a story within a story. One which was so beleivable that even I thought it was a real book. And he did it well. He is a truly exceptional author.

Robin i know, genius!

Asser I wanted to read it too. When I finished The Fault in Our Stars, I googled it immediately. But then, it was only a made-up book. I really believed it was real. John Green is really a good writer.

Sydney Yeah. To write a book within a book sounds like a big challenge.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

To write a book within a book... I think this is very similar to what Shakespeare does. Many of his plays consist of a play in a play. For example: A Midsummer Night's Dream, which had Pyramus and Thisbe in it.

Rebecca It isn't a real book, like we've established, but I would love to read it. Despite not being able to, I think we did read it, when we read Hazel's story.

Plus at the beginning of the book, Green reaffirms that the characters are strictly fiction. Any connections to actuality would destroy the idea that made up stories and characters, as he says, can matter.

Brilliantly done, I loved this book so much.

Rachel a book withen a book..BOOKCEPTION! sorry couldn't resist. That was annoying of me...

Maddison Parker Rachel wrote: "a book withen a book..BOOKCEPTION! sorry couldn't resist. That was annoying of me..."

You honestly had me laughing my ass off when I read this comment. Thankyou for giving me two more days of life.

Rachel Maddison wrote: "Rachel wrote: "a book withen a book..BOOKCEPTION! sorry couldn't resist. That was annoying of me..."

You honestly had me laughing my ass off when I read this comment. Thankyou for giving me two mo..."

Thanks! haha :D

message 18: by Faye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Faye Butler Anyone else wanna be really ironic and send John Green some mail asking what happens to Hazel after the end of the book?

Alsooo, check out my Hunger Games discussion, I'd love to hear your thoughts! and add me as a friend if you love the Hunger Games or Harry Potter :)

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Shannon Faye wrote: "Anyone else wanna be really ironic and send John Green some mail asking what happens to Hazel after the end of the book?

Alsooo, check out my Hunger Games discussion, I'd love to hear your thought..."

YES!!! Let's email him and ask him what happens to Hazel? Do her parents stay together? What about Isaac?

Rachel Faye wrote: "Anyone else wanna be really ironic and send John Green some mail asking what happens to Hazel after the end of the book?

Haha! that would be so cool :) Defenitly on my to do list

message 21: by CM (new) - rated it 5 stars

CM Faye wrote: "Anyone else wanna be really ironic and send John Green some mail asking what happens to Hazel after the end of the book?

YES! Haha that would be so funny!

Hayden Ya, it isn't a real book. Remember, in the authors note he wrote that everything within the book is fictional. He made it up. Including the characters, the story, and ultimately Peter Van Houten and his novel.

Robin yes, we know, but still we wanted it to be real. Don't burst our bubble.

Sydney Faye wrote: "Anyone else wanna be really ironic and send John Green some mail asking what happens to Hazel after the end of the book?

Yes! We must do this!

Cisco Robin wrote: "The author made it "seem" like the book was real. This is a quality of a good writer, his/her ability to make the unbelievable believable."

Robin, I agree with you. I belong to a book club and my fellow colleagues wanted to read "An Imperial Affliction". We were really sadden to know that this book didn't exist.

Cisco Robin wrote: "yes, we know, but still we wanted it to be real. Don't burst our bubble."

:-)

Alaska ... I think that John Green should write 'An Imperial Affliction' because then we could see inside the story that Hazel loved so dearly and then maybe understand her character that much deeper.

message 28: by Bree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bree Faye wrote: "Anyone else wanna be really ironic and send John Green some mail asking what happens to Hazel after the end of the book?

I was thinking about that once I finished the book. I was so frustrated at fhe end because I wanted to know how it ended so badly. Like what gappened afterwards.

message 29: by Bree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bree I think what happened is that John Green was writing that story, hence why it seemed so real. And maybe he got another idea or possibly wanted it to be more around the age of his youtube channel viewers and possible readers(more teenage readers as well as adults) so he kept the first stoy, and worked it into this one.

Doreen Alaska wrote: "... I think that John Green should write 'An Imperial Affliction' because then we could see inside the story that Hazel loved so dearly and then maybe understand her character that much deeper."
I'm glad you posted that! I think John Green should write, "An Imperial Affliction" under the nom de plume, Peter van Houten! He can write a book that is extraordinary, revealing why Hazel read it over and over again. And on the front book flap, there can be a short description of the story incorporating its relationship to "The Fault in Our Stars", and recommending that "Fault/Stars" is read before reading, "Imp/Aff"!!

On the back flap, there should be a blurb about the author, Peter van Houten...the Peter van Houten described in "Fault/Stars"! Following the author info, there should be a few sentences revealing the truth, that the author is John Green. I think John Green should do this! I mean, how hard can it be to write the sensational book he mentions in "Fault/Stars"??? !

Doreen ---kidding...yet silently wishing it could really happen!

Robin I think this is just the authors way of putting a fictitious book into another fictitious book. Amazing nontheless.

Rodolfo Cantu no it was a made up book sucks that we can`t read it.

Rodolfo Cantu is the fake based off a real one i`m just curious.

message 35: by Bree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bree Doreen wrote: "Alaska wrote: "... I think that John Green should write 'An Imperial Affliction' because then we could see inside the story that Hazel loved so dearly and then maybe understand her character that m..."

That would be the coolest thing(:

Alexia Faye wrote: "Anyone else wanna be really ironic and send John Green some mail asking what happens to Hazel after the end of the book?

I finished the book last night and the first thought that came into my mind was how badly I wanted to e-mail John Green and ask him what happens next(:

Alyssa Although the book is not real, John Green said his influences for this book were: The Blood of the Lamb: a Novel by Peter De Vries and Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

Claire John Green should write 'An Imperial Affliction'. Maybe as a charity book or something.

message 39: by Süheyla (new) - added it

Süheyla Claire wrote: "John Green should write 'An Imperial Affliction'. Maybe as a charity book or something."

I totally agree with u.

Brian I don't know guys, the fact that we don't what happens in 'An Imperial Affliction' is what gives it it's life. It's much easier to make up the little details in your head. If John Green were to write that book it would probably come out just like 'The Fault In Our Stars'. The fact is, he needed a book that the main character could connect to. So he made one up. Sorry if you disagree.

Shaye This book totally made me want to read An Imperial Affliction. I wish there was a book just like it!

Gizzelle Locker An Imperial Affliction is just as real as Hectic Glow (the band) and there's no saying that everyone wishes them to be real!!!

Casey I want to read An Imperial Affliction, but it's made up. :( It's almost like in House of Leaves (if anyone read it) all of the books in the footnotes are fake and the quotes from famous people were never said.

message 44: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate I know it's not real, but he does have covers for it in the background of some of his videos!

Isabella im writing it for nanowrimo

Mercy i really wish imperial affliction were a real book. the plot line seems very interesting..

message 47: by Ena (new) - rated it 1 star

Ena Rusnjak Markovic The title of the fictional book actually comes from an Emily Dickinson poem. I must mention it is one of my favourites, which is why I recognised it. Be careful which version you read, as mostly posthumous publications, publishers and editors were known to doctor her poems under the assumption that her use of grammar was too unconventional for her work to be readable. Stay away from these as long as you can, as they really do take away something of the essence. I find them almost always unreadable because they are so "un-Emily."

Here it is in full, her work tends to be untitled so reference to it is usually made by quoting the first line, or by giving it a canonical number (in this case it is 258). May you enjoy it for many years, as I have, and I hope reading it gives some of you a further insight into John Green's work:

There's a certain Slant of light,
Winter Afternoons –
That oppresses, like the Heft
Of Cathedral Tunes –

Heavenly Hurt, it gives us –
We can find no scar,
But internal difference,
Where the Meanings, are –

None may teach it – Any –
'Tis the Seal Despair –
An imperial affliction
Sent us of the Air –

When it comes, the Landscape listens –
Shadows – hold their breath –
When it goes, 'tis like the Distance
On the look of Death –

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Doreen wrote: "Alaska wrote: "... I think that John Green should write 'An Imperial Affliction' because then we could see inside the story that Hazel loved so dearly and then maybe understand her character that m..."
And in has to be exactly 651 pages! And have all those quotes "The thing about pain is that it demands to be felt" and all that. But there must be an epilogue that gives a satisfactory explanation of what happens just Sisyphus the hamster. Or maybe he should write an Imperial Affliction and then put that at the end of the new editions of The Fault in Our Stars.

Doreen To 'N'...yes, now all we need is for John Green to do this for us all!

To 'Ena'...I used to enjoy Dickinson's poetry. Why did I ever move away from it? Your post lit the spark for me to get reacquainted with the lovely Emily! Thx!

message 50: by Evannaaera (new)

Evannaaera The book is really goog. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fault in Our Stars (other topics)