Q&A with Michelle Richmond discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Jan 06, 2009 10:06AM) (new)

Michelle (MichelleRichmond) | 29 comments Mod
Hello, everyone. Thank you for joining my Q&A group! I look forward to answering your questions about NO ONE YOU KNOW and THE YEAR OF FOG.

Here are a couple of links that might be of interest to readers. A couple of years ago, I wrote a piece for the San Francisco Chronicle about the inspiration for THE YEAR OF FOG. It involves a walk on the beach on a foggy day, a day much like the opening scene in THE YEAR OF FOG. The piece, called "The Stories We Tell," can be read in its entirety here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article...

And here's a podcast for Bantam Dell in which I talk about NO ONE YOU KNOW--the inspiration and the process: http://a1018.g.akamai.net/f/1018/1902...

This group will run for two weeks, so feel free to drop in at any time. And if you belong to a book club that has read one of my books, I'd love to hear from you!

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Daniels | 5 comments I especially loved how you spke about novels and stories in "No One you know". As a reader of novels and stories, movies, plays, your comments reflected much of whatI have thought also. Ideas developed over years of having authors words affect me greatly and what enjoyment I received from books but how infulential words can be.
Sue Daniels

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Daniels | 5 comments Please excuse the typos in my post
spoke in line one
influential in line 4

The fact that novels stories are understood differently by each reader.
Sue Daniels

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Michelle, Thanks for the links to the podcast and especially to the interview. As a reader, not a writer, I'm always curious about how writers get their ideas. Looking forward to the discussion over the next couple of weeks.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Sue--

Writing about storytelling was the most enjoyable part of writing No One You Know. I began with that Graham Greene line which is repeated in the book--"Stories have no beginning and no end, arbitrarily one chooses the moment from which to look backward and from which to look ahead"--and used it to sort of ground myself, to remind me of what I hoped the book, as a whole, would say. So I'm glad to know that aspect of the book was meaningful to you.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Lisa,

Oh, you're welcome! I hope those are helpful or enlightening in some way. I find that, especially when I talk out loud about the process, I remember things about the writing of the book that I'd forgotten.