Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Secretary of Senate Refuses to Seat Burris

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wow! Thank you, home state of Illinois, for some truly entertaining political news.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/0...

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
This will sound trite, but I was amused by the Roland/Rollins names in the titles. My brain instantly threw a party to which came Roland Barthes and Henry Rollins. it was fun, we drank martinis.

Now, to click the link and read the story so I can contribute meaningfully.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) I haven't read it yet, I will--but I think Burris, assuming he's qualified--should be seated.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments can't a brotha get a seat in 2009?

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments oops. read the real story and now must forgo any jokes for real news concerns

shellyindallas White has declined to sign the certificate, siding with some Senate Democrats who say Burris should not be seated because of the cloud over Blagojevich.

Blagojevich, a Democrat, has been accused of trying to sell Obama's open Senate seat. Burris has maintained that Blagojevich's problems have nothing to do with him and the appointment is legal.

I agree, Chairy. Doesn't seem legitimate to reject him b/c Blagojevich has a "cloud" over him, and is accused of something he hasn't been tried or convicted of. I'd be pissed.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) yup, that's how I see it too Shelly.