The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel question

Did anyone else prefer the movie over the book?
Beth Beth Jun 03, 2012 05:11PM
I didn't finish the book but enjoyed the movie. I think that's a first for me. However, what I read of the book did provide a background for the movie. Just wondering if anyone agrees or even disagrees.

I definitely preferred the movie to the book. The movie had more character development and seemed free of the coincidences that marred the book for me.

deleted member Jan 30, 2014 01:33AM   1 vote
I was disappointed with the book. The movie was a much better version of the story. That's a rare thing. It's usually the other way around.

I loved the movie. Saw it multiple times. It spoke to me in a way that the book didn't. Found the book good but not excellent. If I had read the book first I probably would not have gone to the movie. It was fun though, in the reading, to picture the actors who portrayed their respective characters in the book. Norman was still Norman !

Adriana I wholeheartedly agree with you. The movie has become one of my favorites from recent years, but the book was just so-so.
Aug 02, 2013 08:49AM · flag

I have watched the movie ,read the book as well. i prefer the printed version most of the time rather then a video-audio conversion of the text. It was a light read displaying the daily lives . and as they say, even if things aren't perfect all the time, the end will be well always.

I read the book first, and then saw the movie. I was quite disappointed with the movie.

I liked the book and the movie. I did see the movie when I had already started the book. From then on, I always pictured Judi Dench as the main character. There were many developments in the book that never made it to the movie. The book brought out the character development while the movie satisfied the visual expectation side of the book read. I am always enchanted in books and movies about India and both of these stood up in my opinion. Both are definitely worth taking a chance on. I pre-ordered the movie from Amazon and have watched it twice since I received it. I could probably be talked into seeing the movie again too.

Beth,
Like you, I was halfway through the book when I attended the movie, but out of curiosity, I returned to finish the book-- just to see where the author originally took the characters, as some of the development in the book differed from the movie! I was not disappointed! I loved the movie--due to being a HUGE Judi Dench fan, and generally enjoying the rest of the actors who were cast. However, I found the book very helpful with background info!

F 25x33
Ruby O'Keeffe I really loved the movie and when I found out there was a book I was pretty excited. The book let me down. It wasn't anything like the film, and much ...more
Dec 16, 2012 02:04PM · flag

Same here,found the film almost unrecognisable to the book,so much more characterisation in it and story lines!
The film was cute,that's all,the book fascinating!

I never saw the movie, but I read the book and once again found myself enthralled by Deborah Moggach's ability to write and create characters. A true story teller and a wonderful author.

I much preferred the movie to the book. I found all the characters in the book completely unlikeable but in the movie their characters were somewhat temepered.

I absolutely loved the movie.

I read the book, then saw the movie. I liked them both even though the plot and some of the characters were completely different. The movie certainly had a more "happily ever after" ending than the book.
Same with Salmon Fishing in the Yemen: that movie was very enjoyable too, but the plot differed greatly from Torday's book.

I saw the movie first, which I really liked, then read the book. They're quite different; I think I preferred the book.

I loved the movie. I loved the book. They were different but both brilliant...Poignant and honest, Lovely.

I loved the movie, then read the book. SO disappointing, the book! It was full of all the India clichés, which thankfully the movie avoided. The whole spiritual-journey-guru-hunt- trope never fails to annoy me, and never fails to appear in books by Western authors who know next to nothing about India. The movie, on the other hand, managed to combine a certain lightness of touch with depth of insight, which is not easily achieved. I can't imagine anyone who actually knows India to like the book. It felt fake from beginning to end.
Of course, there are some details that even the movie got wrong-the whole retirement-home-India idea would not work in the first place, as it is next to impossible for Westerners to get long-term visas to live in India; not even retireees can stay longer than six months.