We love stepback covers discussion

Is The Cover Important To Match The Characters?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 326 comments Mod
Im totally a "cover" addict. Yes I judge the book by its cover first,then read the story/plot on the back.
But what is most important to the "final" to make me buy it that the characters match the cover models.If the covers have a short dark-hair hero/blonde heroine but in the book the hero has blonde & heroine red..well that just spoils the whole artwork treasure I opened to find. How about anyone else? Is it as important to you to capture the "mood" within?

message 2: by Netanella (new)

Netanella | 6 comments Absolutely! If the models on the cover don't match the physical descriptions of the characters in the novel, then part of the fantasy of reading a romance is lost. Also, it says something about the quality of the publication editors that don't or won't take the time to match a great book with a great cover/stepback

Netanella wrote: "Absolutely! If the models on the cover don't match the physical descriptions of the characters in the novel, then part of the fantasy of reading a romance is lost. Also, it says something about the..."

I agree Netanella,I get so peeved when Ive bought a book after fallen in love with the cover...have already got the "visual" from the cover art work,then start reading and its totaly different! And dont the authors have a say? Because if it was my book I would be pretty upset if this happened to mine.

Севдалина | 170 comments Mod
I totally agree with you. I live in Bulgaria, a small country in Europe. The local publishers in recent years begun to comply with what the characters from the covers to look like those in the book. I do not know do you read the book by Shelly Thacker "Hearts Run Wildt". There the male characters is a pirate, with black hair, the whole action of the book is set in a forest. The Bulgarian publisher put couple Vikings on the cover. If you do not read the annotate of the book, you can make wrong conclusions about the content of the book.
That is the original cover:
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/im...
And that is Bulgarian cover.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/43...

I havent read this one Inka,has the first one got a stepback cover inside? which cover is correct? nothing I hate worse than buying a book with the H/H not matching! Grrrrrr..

The firs one is correct, but I don't know if she have a stepback :(

Inka wrote: "The firs one is correct, but I don't know if she have a stepback :("

I love the Bulgarian cover,wonder if it matches the characters inside?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Inka wrote: "The firs one is correct, but I don't know if she have a stepback :("

I love the Bulgarian cover,wonder if it matches the characters inside?"

It does not match, the man is a pirate with black hair and the action takes place in a forest, the year is 1741 in England. Nothing to do with Vikings.

Inka wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Inka wrote: "The firs one is correct, but I don't know if she have a stepback :("

I love the Bulgarian cover,wonder if it matches the characters inside?"

It doe..."

III have to hunt down the other copy just to see if it has.