Banned Books Club discussion

Lord of the Rings > Lord of the Rings (movie)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Satia (new)

Satia For those of you who have seen the movies, I hope you will participate in a discussion of the story as told through cinema. Be sure to tuck any spoilers behind a tag just in case anyone in our group has not already read the novels and/or seen the movies.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Duffy Thomas (kathy_duffy_thomas) | 30 comments About 8 years ago, I had a hysterectomy. During my recovery, I watched the movies and read the books. For the first book, I saw the movie, read the book, and saw the movie again. I was still confused, but that may have had something to do with the drugs. Or it could be that it is just confusing.

I recently re-read the Hobbit, but I don't think I'll reread these. I'm sorry. I'll try to follow, and if I have something to say, I will. OK?

message 3: by Satia (new)

Satia Kathy, That's fine. You've already added so much to the discussion and encouraged Barbara to read The Hobbit which is precisely where I would have suggested she start. Great minds think alike!

message 4: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments One thing I dislike about the movie is what Jackson did to the character of Gimli. He made him into a comic relief which was not what Gimli was in the book.

Gimli in the book was solid, strong, and powerful, someone you don't want to make an enemy of. The "dwarf-toss" scene made me cringe, the falling-of-horse-back scene did not make me laugh. For the sole character that represented the whole tribe of dwarves, especially when there weren't any other dwarf characters around, the movie certainly did not do justice to Gimli the character.

message 5: by Satia (new)

Satia Serena, I never really thought about it but you are absolutely right in how Jackson sort of recreated the character to make him less formidable. His falling off the horse didn't make me laugh but I didn't think it was completely inappropriate because in The Hobbit they all travel on ponies--not horses.

I can't help but think of an interview I read with Peter Dinklage, talking about his role on Game of Thrones and the challenge of finding and taking intelligent roles in an industry that is more interested in tall and slender actors.

Of course, anyone who has seen him in the role, knows he's brilliant. I wonder if he would have been gracious about the tossing, that's for certain. I do remember cringing in that moment.

message 6: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Hello,
So I've finally finished the trilogy, and it was just as good as I remembered it. Although throughout my reading, I had many instances where I saw the differences between the movies and the books, but because I wanted to keep reading now I've forgotten most of them. Should've taken notes...

The 2 things I remember from The Return of the King were, one, (view spoiler)

message 7: by Satia (new)

Satia Serena, Wonderful insights.

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Serena (last edited Sep 11, 2012 03:26PM) (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Oh god no, I was so happy to be reading the books again and was eager to finish them, and frustrated that I read so slow! I even started reading the appendix but did skipped a lot of it, essentially the parts that read like the Bible. Lol!

I agree that (view spoiler)

message 9: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments And also, 3 movies for The Hobbits? Really??

message 10: by Satia (new)

Satia Serena wrote: "And also, 3 movies for The Hobbits? Really??"

I am so pissed. I mean, I could see needing two movies given that (view spoiler)

Glad to know I'm not the only one who is unhappy with this. Oh. Rob too. Not thrilled.

message 11: by Satia (new)

Satia Spoiler reply to Serena's spoiler.

(view spoiler)

Really, I added nothing. Just wanted to exude a bit.

message 12: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments You voiced out loud what I was too shy to say, hahahaha! I love Faramir too! What a man!

Not sure if I want to see The Hobbits(es), my boyfriend thinks why not? Personally I am afraid they will taint my love of LOTR movies.

message 13: by Satia (new)

Satia Well, if he drags you to the theater, you'll have to tell me your thoughts because I'll have to wait until they are out on dvd regardless and I've told Rob I may wait until all three are out before watching any of them.

message 14: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments He might have to knock me out and wheel me to the theater in a wagon...