Banned Books Club discussion

Lord of the Rings > The Fellowship of the Ring

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Satia (new)

Satia This thread is for the discussion of the first book in the trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring. Please tuck any spoilers behind a "spoiler" tag. Feel free to goodreads message me if you need help with how to properly do this.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments I downloaded a sample of The Lord of the Rings: One Volume, onto my Nook, and started reading (or started "trying" to read) the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring. And I realized that the rest of the world is MUCH smarter than I am.

I have absolutely no idea how so many people are SO IN LOVE with these books. And I don't mean that in a judgmental way at all -- I'm in awe of you, Satia, and all of my friends who love these books and movies. But my brain is just not absorbing this material at all!!!

I did see the movie when I was living in California, so it was somewhere between 2000 and 2003. I think it was the first movie -- The Fellowship of the Ring. I was already separated from my husband when I moved to Cal, and I went to the movie with my "at the time" boyfriend. He thought it was GREAT, but he also had two pet snakes when he was a teen, and liked to go to the Reptile Zoo. (Not that snakes have anything to do with these books or movies, but the point I'm making is that he and I definitely had different ideas of what was "cool.")

I don't really remember much about the movie, but I didn't "dislike" it at all. I enjoyed it, but there was a LOT that I just did not understand. I think I liked it because I thought the film was beautifully made.

A friend of mine who is a fashion designer and has very "high-brow" taste in things absolutely LOVES the books and the movies. (Have all three books been made into movies???) She talks about The Lord of the Rings with SUCH passion!!!!

The sample I have on the Nook goes up to the end of the second chapter of The Fellowship of the Ring, so I have a good chance to "try this out" before purchasing it for $9.99. BUT, I'm really having a hard time getting into it, which really bothers me because I know how popular these stories and characters are so I'm starting to think that maybe my brain is just not "made" for complete fantasy like this. (I was never able to get into any of the Harry Potter books either.)

All of these NAMES!!!! OK, well I'm not going to completely give up just yet. I'm going to keep trying and maybe some of the posts here will help me out a bit, but right now I'm feeling as though this may just not be for me.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Yes, all of the trilogy's books have been made into movies. The trilogy also has a prequel The Hobbit, which was a lot easier in terms of confusing names. I personally liked The Hobbit a lot, and if you aren't absorbing The Fellowship of the Ring very well, you might want to start with The Hobbit.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Julie wrote: "Yes, all of the trilogy's books have been made into movies. The trilogy also has a prequel The Hobbit, which was a lot easier in terms of confusing names. I personally liked The Hobbit a lot, and i..."

Thanks, Julie!! I've decided that if I'm ever going to read Lord of the Rings, it will be now, with this group. SO, I'm going to really be open minded and give it a try. (Even if it takes me all summer to read Fellowship of the Rings, I can still post here because there will be posts on all three parts of the trilogy through June, July & August.

I've always wanted to read The Hobbit but just never got to it. I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy -- I think most intelligent people (and even many people who are not necessarily so intelligent) have read all or a lot of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, or have at least seen the movies.

I'm really going to give this a try. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Duffy Thomas (kathy_duffy_thomas) | 30 comments Barbara wrote: "I downloaded a sample of The Lord of the Rings: One Volume, onto my Nook, and started reading (or started "trying" to read) the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring. And I realized that the rest..."

Barbara, I found that I could read it better if I skimmed the names and the panoramic descriptions. The story is good. I like fantasy, so maybe you won't care for it even if you shift through the names.

I don't think it's a question of intelligence at all. I know people who adore LOR and others who don't. A few, like me, can take it or leave it.

When I read the trilogy, I was so enamored with it that I decided to read The Silmarillion but that had more begats than Genesis.

message 6: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Kathy wrote: "I don't think it's a question of intelligence at all."

I agree completely. I adore these books and re-read them every couple of years. I was in the fourth grade when I first read the trilogy, and I was certainly not a 10 year old whiz kid. I just loved to read, and I loved fantasy. I think either this is your sort of thing or it's not, and has nothing whatever to do with intelligence.

I wonder now if I wasn't put off by the names and languages then because at that age I was accustomed to coming across words and references that I was unable to fully comprehend? I surreptitiously read a lot of adult fiction at that age. I had strict parents, and it was before cable TV, so it was the only way I could experience all the popular rated R movies of the time. The Exorcist, Jaws, Carrie, etc. They paid attention to what I watched, but not to my reading material.

message 7: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Kathy wrote: "When I read the trilogy, I was so enamored with it that I decided to read The Silmarillion but that had more begats than Genesis.
"

You nailed that perfectly. With a few exceptions, reading the Sil felt much like trying to read the Old Testament.

message 8: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Satia wrote: "Feel free to goodreads message me if you need help with how to properly do this. "

Satia, I tried to message you for instructions on using the spoiler tags, but Goodreads says you're not accepting messages. Can you message me with the instructions, please?

message 9: by Satia (last edited Jun 19, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

Satia Barbara, The Hobbit is definitely easier than LotR. The latter is written in what we now call “high fantasy” and between his being a linguist and an Oxford scholar, it does sound highfalutin. I first read them when I was 12 and I know I didn’t appreciate them as well as I did when I reread them. In fact, I doubt anyone catches everything the first time. Isn’t that what separates a good story/novel from Literature, with a capital L?

And perhaps this will help:
http://www.sparknotes.com/film/lordof...

I agree with Kathy in that I don’t think it has to do with intelligence. Not sure I would skip the names, however, because that would practically ensure some confusion later on. Is there a difference between Pippin and Merry? Yes, definitely. But you know, you could also try watching the movie, then reading a couple of more chapters and perhaps watching the movie through to wherever you stopped reading to help reinforce the story as you go along. Of course, the writers did digress from the story at points and a chapter or two are dropped along the way but those chapters will feel like a little icing on the cake, something extra special above and beyond the brilliance of the films.

Or maybe this would help . . .
http://www.sparknotes.com/film/lordof...

Oh Kathy, I adored The Silmarillion although it is harder to read then the trilogy. Maybe after joining us in discussing LotR you’ll consider giving it a second try.

Sheri, I wonder if my peculiar name makes me comfortable with other unusual names because I definitely have no more nor less trouble with them than typical names. I’m just bad with names. But I found a great page that has the main characters from the movies. I’ll link to that in a different thread/topic so it won’t get too lost in the back and forth. :)

And everyone, if we aren’t friends then I probably can’t receive messages from you which begs the question: why aren’t we goodreads friends? Feel free to friend me. Sheri, you should have a friend request from me awaiting you in your inbox.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Duffy Thomas (kathy_duffy_thomas) | 30 comments Satia wrote: "Barbara, The Hobbit is definitely easier than LotR. The latter is written in what we now call “high fantasy” and between his being a linguist and an Oxford scholar, it does sound highfalutin. I f..."

Now that I've read the Hebrew Scriptures (OT), maybe I'll give Silmarillion another try. :)

And, I do need to clarify. I didn't skip the names so much as not worry about pronouncing them. I fixed in my mind who was who, although I could probably get it straighter. I often have to ask my son for help.

I am terrible with names in person and in books. I've read whole series of books and not been sure the actual names. I can tell you all about them... I've been told this is a trait of introverts.

message 11: by Satia (new)

Satia I was thinking that The Silmarillion is to LotR as LotR is to The Hobbit. Without a doubt, more challenging and it is exploring the mythology that under-girds the trilogy. In a way, it is very much the OT of Middle Earth.

message 12: by Serena (last edited Jun 20, 2012 01:15PM) (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments I am about page 205 in on The Fellowship of the Ring, I know, reading slow. But I am enjoying it a lot, and this is my second time reading the trilogy. Which is a good thing, because apparently I've forgotten about (view spoiler)

I hope I did the spoiler part correctly, I need to tattoo the instruction on my head!

message 13: by Satia (new)

Satia Serena, You did the spoiler perfectly and you mention a moment in the novels that I was thinking about when I urged everyone to consider using the spoiler tag so as to hide these things.

I haven't even started TFotR because I chose to begin with The Hobbit which I took with me on my trip. But I did very little reading while out of town and only finished it today.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie S. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Hi Satia, I know you are a fast reader, you will be reading ahead of most of us in no time! :)

Hi Julie, I agree with you. (view spoiler)

message 16: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Hello!
So I was doing research for work on "timeline", and stumbled upon this. Thought it might be helpful, especially most of the events were told in tales during The Council of Elrond.

http://www.lordotrings.com/images/tim...

message 17: by Satia (new)

Satia Serena, I'm reading more slowly mostly because I have schoolwork and, as usual, am reading so many books at the same time that . . . well, I am reading slower than I usually do.

(view spoiler)

Serena, Love the timeline! I was saying that when I had a viable means of being online, I'd look for something that parallels the books with the movies. I found something already but it is too detailed for my intentions. I'll keep looking.

message 18: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Totally agree. The books are so full of details, I mean, Tolkien created a universe of its own, there is no way to include everything. It'd be great if the trilogy were made into mini-series of 30 episodes with the visual care of the movie, but keep the story without cutting much.

Maybe some day...

message 19: by Satia (new)

Satia No doubt it will happen. I see movies being remade I never thought would be touched again. Some maybe because they didn't merit a remake and others that may improve on the original. Who knows?

I've only finished book 1 so far. I want to sit with the dvd today and create a table that will parallel the scenes from the movies with the book. This way, hopefully, those who aren't reading the books but want to discuss the movies can see what might and might not be a spoiler.

Sadly, I accidentally spoiled something for my son and he and I are pretty much the same about not wanting to know anything about a movie or book until we have had a chance to discover it for ourselves.