The Sword and Laser discussion

Tigana
This topic is about Tigana
2012 Reads > TIG: Tigana actually happened many times in history (chapter 5 spoiler?)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 03, 2012 03:46PM) (new) - added it

Tamahome | 6352 comments Kay has talked about how many times in history a conqueror would erase a people's culture. He gave examples of Cromwell in Ireland, England in Wales (How Green Was My Valley), the Japanese in Korea, Mao in China after the Long March, and Stalin...

(about 21 min in: http://trashotron.com/agony/audio/guy...)

message 2: by P. Aaron (last edited Jun 03, 2012 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments It didn't even have to be an external conqueror. Consider the case of Hatshepsut, erased from written records by her own people.

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles | 248 comments Happens all the time.

A.E. Marling (aemarling) | 49 comments For instance, when I use my imminent powers as World Overlord, not only will I ban leaf blowers, but I will remove all blueprints and mention of that annoying, particulate-spewing scourge from written records.

message 5: by Vance (new) - added it

Vance | 362 comments An interesting failed attempt was the Scottish Highland Clearances. It accomplished its political purpose (and that of the landlords), but it did NOT wipe out the culture (in fact, by sending it out to the colonies, it actually preserved and enhanced it!).

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments There was the Partitions of Poland, when Poland was divvied up between Russia, Prussia and Austria-Hungary. There were extensive efforts in the Russian and Prussian partitions to expunge Polish culture and identity and "Russify" or "Germanify" them.

And here in Canada, we have the shameful legacy of the Indian residential school system, which with the complicity of religious institutions, tried to "civilize" native children and force them to give up their native languages and faiths.