The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) The Keep discussion

Was anyone else rather disappointed by the genre shift near the end?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cy It went from particularly gripping horror to rather bland fantasy rather quickly. I was also a bit disappointed when the two Germans, the much more interesting characters, were killed off rather unceremoniously to make room for Magda, her father, and Glenn.

I had no idea it was part of a series when I started reading it...I just thought it was a really well-written horror - one that I had been enjoying up until the last hundred pages or so.

Cindy Ehrenreich I read this book back in the '80's & it made me a devoted Wilson fan. Yes it is part of a series, but I don't think it as originally meant to be. Some of his other books from the '90's were some of the best books I've ever read. They are hard to find but if you can read "the Black Wind" "Deep As the Marrow", "Sims". & "Masque".
I do love the Repairman Jack series, but I wish he would get back to some of the sic-fi genre that he wrote

Mark I agree with Cy's comments. I thought the two Nazi officers were great characters, and it was an anticlimax in the way that they were both dispatched. I also agree that the sudden change from Vampire story to fantasy was a little jarring and disappointing.

Hitandmiss I kinda like that the author kills off story chars, keeps me guessing as to who will make it and who wont. Typicaly if an author gives a char a backstory and a little 1st person attention you know there safe. Wilson gives me enough background and char motivation and thoughts to know where there at and then continues the story. I've read way to many books where the author wont kill of anyone for fear of rocking the boat, or only does it when the story is pretty much over.

Stephen Seitz It was a great book until he last few chapters. If I were filing it, there's a lot I'd change.

message 6: by Red (new) - rated it 5 stars

Red Heaven Cy wrote: "It went from particularly gripping horror to rather bland fantasy rather quickly. I was also a bit disappointed when the two Germans, the much more interesting characters, were killed off rather un..."

Yeah, those deaths were a little anti-climatic, but I didn't have a problem with the shift in the genre - I welcomed that it wasn't just a basic vampire novel.

Danielle Tremblay I loved this book and I'm a Wilson's fan since I read it. His character Repairman Jack is crazy, in a fun way. :)

Softbananas I thought it was a bit odd too. But then I was thinking this is a series and may have more to do with that. I have not continued the series ... too many books so little time.

Zafir Ignatov Yes ! Second half of the book was terrible ! Fantasy love story , blaaaah .