Q&A with Kathryn Leigh Scott discussion

Kathryn Leigh Scott
This topic is about Kathryn Leigh Scott
Return to Collinwood > Maggie as Governess

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David MacDowell (dmacdowellblue) | 2 comments I don't remember, but was it ever brought up why the Collins family hired a waitress as governess to David? I presume the producers wanted Maggie in the great house for story purposes (no argument there--you did a great job) but wouldn't it have made more sense if Liz hired her as a personal assistant or something?

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 171 comments David wrote: "I don't remember, but was it ever brought up why the Collins family hired a waitress as governess to David? I presume the producers wanted Maggie in the great house for story purposes (no argument..."

I don't think they had personal assistants back then, did they? Well, David did grow up to become a restaurant owner! {The actor David that is!} So looks like he learned a lot from a former waitress! :)

message 3: by Denise (last edited Jun 03, 2012 06:46PM) (new)

Denise | 52 comments There were several factors going on at the storyline at that point: Elizabeth was suffering from Cassandra's hex on her, in which Cassandra had made her terrified she was going to die and be buried alive, unbeknownst to the adults Quentin was in the early stages of possessing both David and Amy, causing them to behave erratically, and the chief reason was because Vicky had vanished in front of Elizabeth and Barnabas, rapturous in the arms of her husband, Peter Bradford, as they returned forever to the 18th century. Because Elizabeth was concerned about the traumatic impact upon David of Vicki's sudden departure, considered it imperative to get someone into the house, and wanted Maggie because she was someone the children knew and who was available. (Remember, she had never returned to her waitress job after she was released from Windcliffe.) Also, we can't assume that Maggie was only a waitress because we know nothing about her background. I've always had the impression that she may have made sacrifices, such as taking the job as a waitress, so she could stay home and look after her father. She postponed marriage for his sake, and sadly, lost Joe as a result.

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 04, 2012 03:56PM) (new)

Stephanie | 171 comments Denise wrote: "There were several factors going on at the storyline at that point: Elizabeth was suffering from Cassandra's hex on her, in which Cassandra had made her terrified she was going to die and be buried..."

Hey Denise, That was nice of you to give summaries of so many of the episodes, but maybe you could say at the beginning of your posts, for those who are just getting into Dark Shadows, SPOILER ALERT!

I was just joking in my reply to David about Maggie. I'll be anxiously looking forward to see how she came to be governess, as well as all the other storylines.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Leigh Scott (kathrynleighscott) | 174 comments Mod
David wrote: "I don't remember, but was it ever brought up why the Collins family hired a waitress as governess to David? I presume the producers wanted Maggie in the great house for story purposes (no argument..."

Yes, it was odd, but I didn't voice a complaint! It made no sense at all, but the audience went along with it. I do not remember a single letter questioning Maggie's teaching credentials.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 302 comments Kathryn wrote: "David wrote: "I don't remember, but was it ever brought up why the Collins family hired a waitress as governess to David? I presume the producers wanted Maggie in the great house for story purpose..."

Kathryn, WHO CARES WHY?? We got to see YOU as Maggie and then as Josette!! LOL Anne