Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Does Barnes&Noble Do Signings?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments Hey Everyone, I'm sure I've asked this before but am considering it again, Does Barnes&Noble do book signings and has anyone done one with them? I am curious to know if it's simple to do with them and how it works out.
I had been considering this for a while but the only one near me is quite far away so never looked into it that much but if I know they fare well I may strongly consider looking into doing it again.
Anyone with information or experience on this by all means...the floor is yours.

message 2: by Summer (new)

Summer Michaels | 3 comments I have been to a few signings put on by B&N. In my area, they love to produce signings for local talent. I would contact the B&N nearest you. I don't think they do book tours, that would be up to you to put together.

Also, I would plan my signings. I have been to a few where they are so dang on unorganized. Know ahead of time what you would like to do. If you are just going to sign and go or host a q&a. Maybe read some from your book. Keep the readers interested.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments Summer wrote: "I have been to a few signings put on by B&N. In my area, they love to produce signings for local talent. I would contact the B&N nearest you. I don't think they do book tours, that would be up to y..."

Hmm..Thanks Summer, this helps. Now I know they do do them. The one near me is in Boston an hr away so I'd have to call and plan ahead for sure. I'd be looking to do a signing and Q%A.

message 4: by L. (last edited Jun 03, 2012 02:21PM) (new)

L. Shosty | 14 comments Justin, the first thing you need to know is, does your publisher allow returns of its books? B&N typically works like this: They'll order x number of books for a signing they have agreed to (unless you're a big-time author, each store handles its own in-store signing events, so you'll need to contact each place you're hoping to visit individually). You'll show up and sign books after the customer has paid for them. You'll be at a table near the front doors or somewhere nearby so customers can find you easily. At least, that's been my experience. If the turnout is decent, they might ask you to sign a few extra copies so they can slap an "Author Signed Copy" sticker on it to put on the shelves. The theory is, that'll boost sales following the event and even allow those who couldn't make it to the signing to get a signed copy. B&N will then shelve y number of remaining copies and try to sell them. After a certain period, however, they'll want to return any unsold copies to the publisher. If your publisher doesn't allow this, B&N will not allow signings.

This may be old news, and so you'll want to contact the Community Relations Manager of your local store (assuming it has one. If not, ask to speak to the Store Manager) to make sure this information is still accurate and to possibly set up an in-store event. Good luck to you.

message 5: by Summer (new)

Summer Michaels | 3 comments Also B&N may require readers to purchase the book solely from them and show a receipt at the time of the signing. The last B&N signing I went to, there were almost 800 readers waiting for the author. It was insane!

Keep us updated on what you find out! Good luck Justin!!

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments L. wrote: "Justin, the first thing you need to know is, does your publisher allow returns of its books? B&N typically works like this: They'll order x number of books for a signing they have agreed to (unle..."

My publishing company is god awful however my book is in B&N's system so I'm sure they have a return policy with them but to be sure I will look into it. It sounds like it could be very good, my last signing was at a local bookstore and didn't generate alot of people but outcome was decent. But yeah I will look into that and if I can get something setup it would be great, i'll let you know how it turns out, thanks for the advice.