What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. 70's Children's Treasury with bright yellow cover and cartoon doctor and nurse

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Larger sized children's treasury with bright yellow hard cover. The front depicted a doctor's office with a cartoon doctor and nurse (I may or may not recall properly). It wasn't very thick in size.

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 72 comments Goodbye, Tonsils! by Anne Welsh Guy?

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Hi Stacy - no, it is a Treasury, so the picture on the front was only about one of the stories inside. Thanks though...

message 4: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 113 comments Do you remember any of the stories?

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Unfortunately, no. Each of them were illustrated, and not very long in length. I'm just hoping someone remembers such a cover. That's my only hope!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
It reminds me of the Treasury books that were in the waiting room of the doctor I went to as a child. I loved to read, and so didn't mind the wait that a country doctor sometimes required.

message 7: by Kate (last edited Jun 06, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I went on a search and came up with several treasuries. Unfortunately, they don't have a doctor or nurse on the cover. I include them here, just in case:

The Illustrated Treasury of Children's Literature by Margaret E. Martignoni: The dust jacket was yellow, with characters on it.
The Illustrated Treasury of Children's Literature by Margaret E. Martignoni

The Golden Treasury Of Children's Literature by Bryna Untermeyer
The Golden Treasury Of Children's Literature by Bryna Untermeyer

The Random House Children's Treasury: Fairy Tales, Nursery Rhymes & Nonsense Verse by Alice Mills
The Random House Children's Treasury Fairy Tales, Nursery Rhymes & Nonsense Verse by Alice Mills

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Thanks for your efforts, Kate. I'm still hoping someone has this exact same book in their memory!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 136 comments For some reason when I read your description of the book, I keep thinking of Richard Scarry. Was the cartoon doctor a lion, by any chance?

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments No, I know the artwork of Richard Scarry books, and it wasn't that. It was definitely a 'person' doctor, a man in fact.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Monica, are you still looking for this book?

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Monica, are you still looking for this book?"

Yes, I am... on the verge of giving up though!

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Monica--it hasn't been anywhere near long enough to give up. Sometimes it just takes a while for that certain someone special to join the group and say, "Wow, I know that book."

And, having said that--if you bump the thread every 30 to 60 days you will improve your odds of getting it found, since more people will be reminded of it and it will stay fresh in their minds.

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Monica--it hasn't been anywhere near long enough to give up. Sometimes it just takes a while for that certain someone special to join the group and say, "Wow, I know that book."

And, having said ..."

How do I 'bump the thread'?

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Just type anything - people typically type "bump." Any new post moves it to the top of all the threads so fresh eyes will see it.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Thanks girls!

message 17: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Oct 23, 2013 08:07AM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments First thing I thought of when I read yellow cover+doctor & nurse But not on the cover though...so probably not your book just exhausting the possibility.

Curious George Goes to the Hospital by Margret Rey

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "First thing I thought of when I read yellow cover+doctor & nurse But not on the cover though...so probably not your book just exhausting the possibility.

[bookcover:Curious George Goes to the Hosp..."

Yes, understandably. I do know all about that monkey! This doctor was more of a really skinny guy with a big round head, and I think he even had one of those head lamp things that drs used to wear. All the stories inside were made up of different characters (they were all unrelated to each other in every way). Thank you though!

message 19: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Still hopeful! Bring it to me people!

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann The cover really does sound like Goodbye Tonsils which was a "Golden Book" Could it have been the cover photo for a Golden Book Treasury?

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Ann wrote: "The cover really does sound like Goodbye Tonsils which was a "Golden Book" Could it have been the cover photo for a Golden Book Treasury?"
Thanks Ann - I googled that book and it does quite match the description of my book, however it is not it. One thing for sure I remember is that the cover of my book was 'cartoon' depiction, rather than 'illustrated'. And also the doctor was much more prevalent (at least in my memory) than the nurse to the patient. I appreciate the input though!

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (silentrequiem) | 87 comments Not a doctor/nurse, but My Biggest Bedtime Book Ever?

message 23: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Debbie wrote: "Not a doctor/nurse, but My Biggest Bedtime Book Ever?"
Good guess, but unfortunately no.

message 24: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments This is a way long shot, but Dr. Owl's Problem (look at all the pictures they provided)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/119352059...

message 25: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Not a treasury, but I figure it can't hurt:

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Visits-Do...

message 26: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Railyn wrote: "Not a treasury, but I figure it can't hurt:

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Visits-Do..."

No, but thanks for the effort anyhow!

message 27: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Still hopeful!

message 28: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Here's hoping!

message 29: by Laina (new)

Laina (lshockley) | 188 comments Hi Monica!

Do you recall if the characters were animals or human people or both? And, what kind of stories were they - everyday happenings, fairy tales, adventure, silly stories? Or a mixture?

I know how hard it is to find these kind of books, it took me forever to find my own favorite childhood treasury. But this information might help others recognize your book!

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments The stories were all pretty short, if I am remembering correctly. I characters on the cover were humans, although cartoons, but I believe some of the characters in some of the other stories were animals. I believe all cartoony... illustrated of course, but more on the cartoony side rather than drawings. Hope this helps!

message 31: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments BUMP :)

message 32: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments I'm pretty sure this isn't it, but it says "treasure" on the back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LETS-PLAY-NUR...

message 33: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments I wonder if it was one of the Uncle Arthur books, which were frequently found in hospitals and doctor offices (at least around here)? They were treasuries with short illustrated stories. They've been made since the 40's or 50's (or possibly before) with many varied covers. This one popped up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncle-Arthurs...

message 34: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Railyn wrote: "I wonder if it was one of the Uncle Arthur books, which were frequently found in hospitals and doctor offices (at least around here)? They were treasuries with short illustrated stories. They've ..."

Good thought, and although the scenario pictured is similar, my book was definitely cartoony characters. Also, the book itself was not focused on doctors or the hospital. They were probably characters in one of the stories but not any 'main characters' of the book. Thank you though!

message 35: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Grrr...this one bugs me, lol.

message 36: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 4 comments Maybe Nurse Nancy? (a little golden book)???

message 37: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Shelley wrote: "Maybe Nurse Nancy? (a little golden book)???"

No, the book was larger than the Golden books, and it didn't have the 'golden spine' either. Probably close to the size of a 8 1/2 x 11" paper , and less than an inch thick. Hard covered though.
(thanks though!)

message 38: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1072 comments I seem to remember a book that was at a dentist office back in the 70's. It was basically the same thing, but it had a dentist on the cover. So, I'm thinking that the books might be print to order books.

message 39: by Railyn (last edited Mar 24, 2014 10:53AM) (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments I was thinking that too. When I was growing up, a friend's dad worked for a company that made building materials from recycled paper. His job was to sort out what they couldn't use (which back in the 80's was colored paper, I believe). He was always giving us stacks of coupons for cat food and litter, and his kids had tons of books. He'd give us some if they came in big packs (sometimes she'd give them out at school if there were enough). A lot of them were what my mom would call "vanity prints" - a normal book, but it would be branded with a company's logo (I remember a book with "courtesy of Colgate" on it and it wasn't a book about teeth - just a normal book). This one could be tough to turn up if that's the case.

message 40: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Railyn wrote: "I was thinking that too. When I was growing up, a friend's dad worked for a company that made building materials from recycled paper. His job was to sort out what they couldn't use (which back in..."

No, I don't think it was anything like that... it seemed well put together and I don't remember anything on the cover that looked like advertising.

message 41: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments bump ;p

message 42: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments I think I will give up on this... I just did a Google image search on this and there are so many books that are so close - I felt my book should have been right in there with the other results, but no such luck for this!

message 43: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments I wouldn't give up, but that's just me. I was at the doctor last week and thought I saw it, but it was just a book about getting measles shots.

message 44: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Monica--NEVER give up. Sooner or later someone will remember the correct book. You just need to come in periodically and bump the thread back to the top of the queue.

message 45: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Thanks guys - I guess what I really hope for is that someone else my age also adored it in their childhood and has it safely stored with their keepsakes! If only I had the title or author I could find my own copy!

message 46: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Bump!

message 47: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments bump

message 48: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 275 comments As a child of the 70s I had quite a few treasuries. The only yellow one I'm remembering was a Better Homes and Gardens one (not in GoodReads) which I remember because my mom got the magazine. Stories I remember in it ranged from Little Red Hen, one of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories, an old version of Little Black Sambo, a retelling of the Tar Baby story, something about pirates that may have been retold form Peter Pan, and my favorite which was about dolls that come alive for a day. I'm not specifically remembering a doctor or nurse story, but there were many stories in there, and it was yellow for certain.

message 49: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Thanks Hillary... I have been trying so hard to remember what some of the stories were about, however no luck. I can't even remember what/if there was a story about a doctor, just that this was the cover scene. I will watch for that rendition you mention, in both my searches and the vintage children's book website that I check regularly. Thank you!

message 50: by Monica (new)

Monica | 29 comments Bump

« previous 1