The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Buddy Reads Archives > The Magic Ring - Book 3, Chapters 21-28

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments The thread is now open to discuss Book 3, Chapters 21-28. Please post your thoughts below.

message 2: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 08, 2012 06:32AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I was sad to see the story end (even if I was tired of the evangelizing).

The scenes where Theobaldo calls up the "wild incantations" with the ring were enjoyable to read - very Hollywood. :-) Everyone is confused except for Otto for the most part.

And did not see coming that Theobaldo was a son of Sir Hugh - that man certainly got around with the ladies, and with it the consequences: Otto, Ottur, Theobaldo.

Happy endings all the way around. The Magic Ring destroyed. Love interests settled. The brothers united momentarily, all forgiven, even after all Theobaldo put everyone through. Richard the Lionheart freed.

I must admit that the love interests were resolved the way I wanted them:

- Otto with Bertha
- Sir Folko with Gabrielle (but he better watch out for her!)
- Blanchefleur with Aleard.
- Archimbald with Gerda.

Only poor Arinbiorn doesn't find a love interest.

And I'm glad that it was Bertha that brought everything together: the first female superhero. She stops Theobaldo and destroys the ring. And really the one character who doesn't have any flaws throughout the novel.

message 3: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 08, 2012 06:36AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Janice, enjoyed doing the buddy read with you! I'm so glad that you brought this book to my attention.

I love reading the classics from a particular genre, and I enjoy reading some of the early creations of certain elements of fantasy (obviously, the ring and magic; the religious imagery; good vs. evil; etc.)

It is nice to see how the genre has evolved and changed, and become more complex. Although, this was certainly complex as well.

I'm hoping to take an online fantasy and science fiction class starting in July through the University of Michigan.

If the professor doesn't bring up this novel, I will definitely do so, and see what he has to say about it.

message 4: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) As you say, everything turned out satisfactorily, and all's well that ends well :)

My eyes did start to cross trying to keep track of all of Sir Hugh's sons... not sure I remember all the ladies in the story who birthed them.

The ring itself turned out to be like the ring in Tolkein's Lord of the Rings stories -- capable of good or evil, but too powerful to be allowed to exist... and since those who own it seem to be overtaken by vanity or the desire for power, then in the long run it can only cause harm, not good, and needs to be destroyed.

And even tho' I have felt all along that Bertha was the heroine of the story, I was a little surprised at her all-pervading holiness, and was glad to see her returned to just-plain-Bertha who was in love with her cousin Otto.

Still, at the end, she gains a crown of jewels and is referred to as the "virgin queen" -- which seems to me an analogy referring to Mary the virgin mother & queen... and I love it that Fouque celebrated goodness and light and compassion, as well as resolution and strength and leadership, in the character of a young woman who saves the day.

The fantasy class sound very interesting. I recommend Booker's The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories for a fascinating study of the process and purpose of storytelling.

Thanks for taking the lead on keeping our threads going, Lynn... I really enjoyed sharing this Buddy read with you!