Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

Game of Thrones (TV series) > Season Two, Episode Ten Reactions (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 182 comments Tonight is the night! I figured I'd get a head start and throw up the thread now. I'm so ready to watch..

message 2: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments I'm excited too. But I'm also dreading there being no more GoT for a year.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

70 minute episode.

It better be good.

message 4: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Damn....

message 5: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 182 comments I thought it was pretty damn good. What did everyone else think?

message 6: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Agreed....I loved that last scene.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It felt sloggy to me. Slow. I kept checking the time remaining thinking it was almost over and it was barely halfway.

But yeah, that last scene, just...damn

message 8: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments i liked it quite a bit, no issues. interesting that they went a short ways into ASOS with Tyrion. Osha & Ygritte were especially enjoyable even though they didn't especially do anything. i'm wondering how Theon's absence plays out next season and looking forward to more of Asha, if they have her. romantic time between Robb & the Volantene was blessedly brief. interesting decisions with how the show went with House of the Undying & Xaro Xhoan Dox - i liked. awesome last scene. finally got to see an Other, and they're adorable!

message 9: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments forgot to say that my favorite part was the Brienne & Jaime scene. fantastic! i watched it three times.

and bye, Jacqen. although i suppose they could bring him back to (view spoiler).

message 10: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments One thing didn't make a lot of sense to me though.

The whole Winterfell burning thing. And here's why.

The show has left off Ramsey Bolton and his sneaking into Theon's trust and betraying him. That big tall Iron dude replaced him for that. Roose has said again that he was sending his bastard to retake Winterfell. So I assume it was the Bastard that had the castle surrounded.

OK, so when the tall ugly guy hit Theon over the head, he said "let's go home." Because of Robb's proclamation, I figured that the Bastard would let them go without a fight. That's fine. I'm guessing that they'd turn Theon over to Ramsey and so forth.

But here's where I'm confused. When Bran and co. came out of hiding, it was burning. Where were Ramsey's men? Shouldn't they have occupied the castle? And if they had done as they were supposed to do by retaking it and driving out the Ironmen, why would Luwin tell them to run to the icy north rather than take refuge with Bolton men?

Hmmm...

So, who set fire to Winterfell, and where were the Boltons? If the Boltons had burned it, why would they do that when it's free for the taking? And if the ironmen did it, why would the Boltons let them go and where were they anyway?

Yet Luwin crawled out under his own power....

message 11: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments i think the burning of Winterfell on the series is a "mystery" (for those who haven't read it yet). since we haven't met Ramsay yet, i think the show will wait until he is introduced to solve the mystery of who burned Winterfell - Ramsay, of course. so in a way they are still sticking to that basic plot point.

message 12: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) The finale is good but it could have been much better. Jon killing Qhorin was supposed to be more dramatic than just Qhorn taunting Jon. I did not see the conflict or emotional battle when Qhorin asked Jon to kill him.

And my ultimate disappointment is the House of the Undying part. Ok, if they couldnt show Rhaegar and stuff, but Pyat Pree's demise was kinda laughable, especially since it was preceded by Dany being chained. It was not epic at all and HotU is one of the highlights of ACoK. And where were the prophecies??? No house burning?

All in all, 2nd season is kinda a let down. I give it 8/10, while season 1 is 9.5/10. Blackwater episode should be made into two episodes with GRRM writing both (seriously, the lines were sooo much better in ep 9). I only enjoyed the following characters/plotlines:
- Arya/Tywin/Gendry/Jaqen
- Brienne/Jaime
- Tyrion/Joffrey/Cersei/Sansa
- Stannis/Davos/Melisandre

Dany's plot execution is the worst, followed by Robb (I think his love story with Jeyne Talisa whoever is a snooze fest and more time should be dedicated to Tyrion), and of course Jon's entry to the wildlings (although TV Ygritte is kinda fun to watch).

Speaking about the north, I also think the whitewalkers/wights/others at the end are kinda cheesy. The opening scene in season 1 was more dramatic and far more scary.

Well, I hope ASoS would be much better. It is the best one from the series, after all. Glad they split it into two.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) And I forgot to give kudos to Alfie Allen. His Theon is so hateable. His scene with Osha was also great. I hate the Iron Islanders with a passion (their plotlines in the books were so tiring) but Alfie made it watchable.

message 14: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments Silvana says season 2 is FAIL... i say season 2 is WIN! i liked it better (by a very slight margin) than season 1. which isn't saying much because i love both seasons.

however i do wholeheartedly agree with you on a few things:

- not much lead-up to Qhorin & Jon made that scene nowhere near as resonant as in the book
- Robb & Talisa was snoozy. i think necessary and occasionally moving... but also the more boring scenes this season
- Dany's arc this season was kinda eh.

i really hope to see lots more of Brienne & Jaime next season. they're the cutest couple! ha. well, they are they are at their most entertaining when they're together, at least.

message 15: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments i agree with most of that second comment. thought Alfie Allen was fantastic (and his sister too, to a lesser degree). and boy Osha really pops off the screen in a way that she didn't on the page.

although as far as the books go, i loved everything related to the Iron Islands. but then i'm also one of those folks who loves anything to do with Dorne.

message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) mark wrote: "i agree with most of that second comment. thought Alfie Allen was fantastic (and his sister too, to a lesser degree). and boy Osha really pops off the screen in a way that she didn't on the page.

..."

Hey I'm a Dorne fan too!

I think they're so intriguing, having a "Prince" and all. And their custom of women empowerment is so awesome. I'd love to see the Sand Snakes.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Sorenson | 6 comments I am also curious why they made some of the changes they made, but I'm confident they were made with future story lines in mind. I think they showed too much of the Others. That scene really had my blood pumping until the one showed up and screamed, but whatever. I heard Storm or Swords would be broken into two seasons... anyone else hear that?

message 18: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments i read the same.

message 19: by Arby (new)

Arby (xblackheart7x) | 4 comments haha. it ended almost the same way as season1 ended: with the awakening/revelation of a creature long thought of as vanished and then the screeching.

message 20: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments At first I thought you meant Joffrey.

message 21: by Patty (new)

Patty (hodorsmom) don't you mean Asha? Theon's sister?