The Riyria Revelations discussion

Book 1: The Crown Conspiracy > From the Author...

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Jan 06, 2009 08:22AM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 347 comments Mod
I would just like to say thank you to those who posted here discussing favorite characters and scenes and such.

To me, there is little more rewarding than to listen to two or more people discussing my work. Years ago, when I first began writing, I had friends read my books and afterwards they spontaneously began speaking about it, talking about the characters as if they were real people, debating, even arguing about specific points. It was at that moment I realized I had created something significant.

I enjoy writing. I like creating something out of nothing. But it took the interaction of two others, speaking among themselves, to actually breathe life into the world I created. Prior, it was all my imagination, but from the moment they took it up, something magical happened. They weren't my characters anymore--they were alive. They lived lives separate from me in the minds of others.

To have something you create and nurture, blossom and transform from a wooden puppet into a real boy is miraculous and is the very best payment I can receive. Given that to date (since the book has only been out three months and the fiscal quarter for my publisher is only now ending)I haven't been paid a dime, so this discussion is a gift that makes thirty years of typing in solitude worth it. The fact that it has sprung entirely unsolicited makes it all the more precious.

As long as my family and I are not starving, appreciation is far more valuable to me than money. It is a gift I can reflect upon whenever I despair that things I write will not work out, that it is all for nothing, that no one will read it, or like it.

So once more, thank you all (Robin included), for sharing, what for me, are gems beyond calculable worth.

Michael J. Sullivan

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 18 comments Wave Michael - I really liked what you said - one of the things that makes Goodreads so cool is you can interact with the authors - well at least when they are "starting out" -- don't forget us when you get famous!! I really really enjoyed your book - have #2 on pre-order!