College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > The Book Thief-- SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I couldn't think of a good way to break this book up..so we'll just got with a generic spoilers and non spoiler threads this time.

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

also..please put whatever page you are up to with your post so people know whether or not they will read your comment.

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Not really a spoiler, but I was wondering if anyone was catching up on the German words? I had to laugh when is saw "sheisekopf". I probably spelled it wrong, I don't have the book with me. This really means Shithead in German, and it was in our German text book in 9th grade. Our teacher tried to tell us it meant silly head, but one of the guys in the class spoke German (mostly with his grandparents) and he informed us all it did not.

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

*SPOILERS* up to 142

I LOVE the relationship between Liesel and the foster dad..I just love that he reads with her and that he is always there right after her nightmares. I'm really interested to see what happens now that there was some scene about a Jew hiding in a dark space which i'm assuming to be their house. This book is just so interesting! I'm loving it!

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

**SPOILERS** FINISHED THE BOOK

for anyone else who has already read/just finished...did anyone else cry as much as i did?? my god. the last part of the book was killer for me. i am not really a "crier"..but wow. this book was AMAZING. i can't wait to start discussing this with everyone else when they finish it!

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

**SPOILERS** (some questions for people who finished)

just some questions i had:

-what relationship was your favorite throughout the book?
-Who was your favorite character and why?
-Did anyone else think that at the end it was a possibility for Max and Liesel to get married?? because i sure thought about that. i think she was definitely more mature for her age and she would have kept her friendship with him for a while..and then at that point the age difference wouldn't have been a big deal.

my favorite relationship in the book was the one between Papa and Liesel..i just adored the way he was with her and how they interacted. It tore me apart when she walking around at the end looking at all the dead bodies and she could barely look at him. I also really liked the dynamic between Liesel and Rudy..i was rooting for them the whole time to be together. also..the relationship between the mayor's wife and Liesel was interesting and i liked it alot.

i think that besides Liesel..my favorite character is Papa..he was amazing..and had such a good heart.

message 7: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) SPOILERS!

Gah! I think it's nearly impossible to pick just one relationship as my favorite. I love Liesel and Papa. He was so sweet and helped her so much. I love Liesel and Rudy. Their relationship was so fun to read about, all the trouble they got into together. I love Liesel and Max. Just they way they could connect to each other was so wonderful and sweet. I can't choose between those! Both Papa's and Rudy's death broke my heart. Papa's might have been worse because I wasn't as warned about it.

As for favorite character..hm...Rudy was the most interesting to read about. However, I think if Max had died, that would have just killed me. I loved the books he wrote for Liesel. I also really liked Mama. I thought her character was so funny.

YES! LIESEL AND MAX 4EVER!!! I kept waiting for Death to tell me that she married Max because it just seem SO obvious to me. I liked Rudy a lot too and I know Liesel loved him also. When I found out he was going to die, I kept begging Liesel to kiss him just once. So sad that he was dead when it finally happened.

And what do you think about Death spoiling some parts of the book. I can't decided how I feel about them. It kinda sucked to have the narrator tell you part of the ending, but he also gave you so few details that it made me more interested cos I had to know how/why/etc. The spoilers also probably saved me from crying ALL night long too once I had finished the book.

message 8: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) SPOILERS

I agree with Franzz about Death softening the blows of big deal things that happened because you knew from the beginning pretty much what was going to happen.

I did not feel the magnificence proportionate to what I thought I would feel. I guess I get too caught up in the hype.

I finished the book in a hurry last night and fell asleep after I gave myself two minutes to cry.
What really got me was probably 30 pages before the end. I don't remember what happened exactly, but Rudy was still alive. I just thought "How...?" and completely broke down. It wasn't specific to what was happening on the page, just in general.

My favorite relationship was between Liesel and Max (I was so happy they kept finding each other), followed by Liesel and Rudy. Then Liesel and Ilsa.
My favorite characters were Rudy and Mama. I thought Rudy was so funny and good for Liesel and Mama was such a good woman behind her cardboard exterior and it broke my heart when she wore the accordion.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I want to comment so bad right now since I finished it... but it would take me days to type it all.

message 10: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments i loved Death as the narrator. i agree with most about it kinding of softening the blows. it's crazy that even though i knew alot of stuff was going to eventually happen..i still felt immense sadness in the details.

I love the relationship between papa and liesel.

I heard an interesting theory that someone though that Death passed on his job to Liesel? Anyone else hear that or think that?

I also agree..i think she married Max.

i LOVED Rudy though.

message 11: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I also heard the theory about Death passing his job to Liesel. It sounded totally insane to me at first, but after looking back at the book I can see it. I can't point out anything specific in the text but for some reason, it just seems to fit.

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i heard that as well..and like Franzz..i wasn't sold on it..but then i thought of it..and it didn't seem like such a farfetched idea..I agree..i would have no textual support to back it up..but it's an interesting and valid thought I think.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments this book was great..i can't wait until more people start talking about it!

my favorite relationship was definitely Liesel and Papa..but also Liesel and Max. I'm so glad Max didn't die!! I really thought he did. I sure hope she married Max..that's what it seemed like to me. I thought Mama was such a funny character..like you loved to hate her but you couldn't because she really did care for Liesel

I just wonder HOW people could think this way and kill people..it makes me so sad. I wonder that about all the genocide going on in the world today. it just boggles my mind how people can justify it.

any good recommendations about books to further study this time period??

message 14: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jessica..I'm with you..my mind just cannot grasp how these things happen and how other people let them happen. I hate what is going on in places like Darfur. Did you ever see Invisible Children? It broke my heart..I ended up doing this thing in Philly..and apparently they did it all across the nation..and we slept outside at LOVE park and we wrote letters about it and we listened to music and just talked to really cool people. it was so cool to meet likeminded people who didn't want to ignore what was going on.

so if you haven't seen Invisible Children..you should!

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily Okay, so I really did love this book, but I think it was hyped up a little too much. All i had heard about it before hand was how good it was, and i think that kind of ruined it a little for me.

I really really really wanted liesel and rudy to get together!!! Even thought i knew they weren't going to i kept hoping they would.

I didn't really like the fact that Death gave away people's outcomes before the end. I kind of like discovering that for myself, I mean obviously there was a lot to learn through out the book, but when you know something is going to happen it takes a certain urgency away from reading. Like I love to read a book in one sitting and not be able to put it down because I desperately need to know what will happen to the characters.

I still cared about them and wanted to know what was going to happen, but giving away that Rudy dies young and never gets with liesel really bothered me! anyone else feel the same??

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Okay i also LOVED the fact that it showed the suffering of the German people, even those who were with in the Nazi party. I think it gives a great message that there was no simple "good" and "bad" side and that good people can get caught into bad things and bad people can do good things and everyone is really just trying to do what they think is best, and how many people didn't even want to be fighting this war.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I liked how the book showed the real thoughts of some of the Germans too, Emily. It reminded me of Girl in Hyacinth Blue in that regard. Another good book...

message 18: by Frances (new)

Frances Davidson (freakfornature) | 38 comments The style of this book blew my mind. I love it when literature does that, if anybody has any recommendations on literature that conveys as much emotion as the book thief does, i would appreciate it. ;)
As for the favorite relationship... it's nearly impossible for me to choose. I loved the gentle nature of papa, the vicious facade of mama, mischevious but kind-hearted aura of Rudy, arghh... I just loved all the characters and it would be hard to choose which interactions I liked the most. As for favorite characters, I was impressed with how easy it was to relate to Liesel-you felt what she felt throughout the book, I was biting my lip when she plucked the burning book out of the fire. Everything was so real. When it comes down to it, I think Zusak did an excellent job. As for the debate on whether or not Death should have "given away" who died, I understand how it may have taken away some of the curiousity for other readers, but for me- it put a timer on what could be done- would Rudy get his kiss from Liesel in time? Would Liesel "grow up" before papa and mama died? In that way, it stepped up the urgency of the book. Anyways, those are my ramblings.

message 19: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'm with you on that one! The style was awesome! To be honest, I haven't found another book that had the ability to make me feel how that book did.

I agree with you totally about the whole "Death" issue. I think it was more interesting to actually know that certain people died because I wanted to find out why and how. Also, like you said..it really did put a timer on what could be done. You wanted to just find out if certain characters were too late in different aspects.

I like your thoughts on the book! :)

message 20: by Immaculate (new)

Immaculate | 1 comments I love this book so much. The ending was sooo sad. I secretly cried . lol. Poor girl, it must suck to have to lose ur loved ones like that. Oh I read somewhere that a movie was being made for The Book Thief. what do you guys think?

message 21: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'd be interested to see this as a movie...although I'm always disappointed. I'd be really interested to see who they would pick to play certain people.

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments That would be interesting to see. It's a pity that Dakota Fanning is too old, I think she could have been an excellent Liesel.

message 23: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

YES! I definitely agree!

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I just finished this and loved it. I've always had such a fascination with the holocaust that I can't believe I never read this before. I really liked Death (sound weird right?) but he was much more sympathetic than I would have imagined. Also I have never really been religious so "God" was never comforting when someone I knew passed away, but while I was reading I imagined how Death would have encountered their souls and felt that they were in good hands.

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Annashu wrote: "I just finished this and loved it. I've always had such a fascination with the holocaust that I can't believe I never read this before. I really liked Death (sound weird right?) but he was much ..."

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's one of my favorite books. I finally convinced my mom to read it, and she hated it.

message 26: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Annashu wrote: "I just finished this and loved it. I've always had such a fascination with the holocaust that I can't believe I never read this before. I really liked Death (sound weird right?) but he was much ..."

I'm glad you loved it! I actually liked Death too! I felt that he was THE perfect narrator and you are so right..he was much more sympathetic than you would think.

message 27: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Sorry I didn't read through all the comments, but I finished this not too long ago and just realized it was a past group read.

Jamie, I thought about Max and Leisel marrying at the end, but then I thought that might interfere with Max's impression of her as an innocent girl caught up in everything. I think Death (and Zusak) left it ambiguous intentionally, for us to have this exact discussion.

And yes, I totally cried at the end. Even though Death warned us all, and we knew what was coming, it was heartbreaking nonetheless.

As for favorite relationships, I loved Leisel and Papa together. And come to think about it, every relationship Leisel had was special in some way, unique and perfect in their imperfectness. If that makes sense.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments My husband and I listened to this book when we drove home for Christmas. I am still unsure what I think about it. Overall I think that the book ws good, but for some reason I cant say that I loved it. I couldn't wait to figure out what happened at the end though. The author using Death as a narrator was a creative idea and I love that he wrote death so you felt bad for him.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (crazylilcuban) I just finished The Book Thief a few days ago and just absolutely loved it! I must admit that I was really worried for the first 100 pages or so, because I really had a hard time getting into the book at first and I was worried that I wouldn't love it as much as others seem to, or that I just wouldn't get it. But I started getting more and more into the story, and once I was about halfway through I didn't want to put it down. I love the relationship between Liesel and her father, and I thought the friendship that developed between Max and Liesel was wonderful as well.

I think my favorite part of the book is less the story though, and more the way it was told. I LOVED having Death as the narrator, and the way it gave the story a very different feel. I thought the asides (with the bold type and asterisks) were fantastic insights into different parts of the story too. It bothered me a teensy bit the first time Death gave a spoiler about something that had yet to happen, but I realized as I read that I actually really liked the way it came together, and that the spoilers made me want to keep reading to find out just how things had happened. I also loved how Death was nothing like I would have thought he would be, and (like Annashu & Jamie said above) was actually a really sympathetic character/narrator.

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan Finished this last night...
My favorite relationship? I am torn between Liesel and Hans (Papa) and Liesel and Max.
Favorite character? Again, that is a tough one. I loved Liesel, papa, Rudy, and Max, but I also liked Death.
Max and Liesel married? I just don't see it.
As for making a movie out of the book. I don't think a movie could ever live up to this book in particular, so I would be hesitant to go see it.

5 out of 5 stars
I am somewhat at a loss for words on this one. Starting out I didn’t really care for it too much. It was different to say the least, but I kept at it and am thankful that I did. It was a little hard to follow because I wasn’t real sure who was telling the story. Additionally, the book pretty much starts out with the ending which some books do, but I found it a little hard to follow here. However, once I got past all that and really got into the book, it was truly great. In fact I think everyone should read this one. Although it is a fictional book, I could really picture that the events of this book were happening and they probably did happen.
The book is set is Nazi Germany and tells the war story from the perspective of a young German girl. Although the girl is not the one telling the story, rather Death is telling the tale of the book thief. I think it is interesting to have the story told by Death. There was certainly plenty of death during this time period. I think it is important to note that not all Germans were evil; rather many went along with Hitler to save themselves and their families from the same treatment that the Jews received. This doesn’t mean that it was right; it is simply the way it was. Some rebelled in their own ways, by hiding Jews or helping them is some small ways.
I think everyone should read this book to educate ourselves against racial / ethnic / religious / etc. extermination, which is still happening in parts of the world.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

So this is a spoiler so if you haven't read the book please don't ruin it for yourself. first off i wanted to say that this book was absolutely amazing! It was genius to have the narrator be death; i felt it added a new dimension to the book. You are left sitting patiently for the explanations for these various deaths' however, often not getting an answer. Throughout the story i was constantly rooting for the Leisel and Rudy however as you all know eventually he did get his much anticipated for kiss. I don't know about any of you but i was bawling while reading part 10 ( the final chapter). Not only had she lost her previous biological family but she now lost her foster family and all her beloved friends. It displays the hardship the people go through during war. what especially broke my heart even more so than the death of Rudy was the death of her papa. They were best friends from the first time they set eyes on each other. He was a true role model and treated Liesel as if she were his own. i too think she marries Max and raises a family with him. i definitely recommend this book.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (vorvesm) | 132 comments This book was so amazing. I listened to the audiobook while I was at work and that may have been a mistake since the ending made me cry so much lol.
I had heard a lot of the hype, but hadn't really listened to anything that would've been spoilers. I loved Death as the narrator and while him spoiling things for us was strange I enjoyed it by the end.
Such a sad and wonderful story!