YA Paranormal Innovation discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
119 views
You, your Super Power, and your Arch Enemy!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by J.D. (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Introduce yourself, tell us what you're good at, or what you like doing, and your pet peeves...


J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Me?
I write. I like to think I'm quite good at it, and I'm getting better, or quicker at least.
I can't bear mosquitos. I mean seriously, what are they even for?


Miranda (twigs1704) | 1 comments My name is Miranda, I read. A lot. I'm also a full time mom of 2. I agree...mosquitos are pointless! I have some of the weirdest pet peeves, I don't like wrinkles in my bed or clothes. I cannot stand wearing tennis shoes of any kind, and it bothers me to no end when people don't have manners!


J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Hi Miranda,
Wrinkles in clothes I get, but it doesn't mean I can be bothered to iron. Not often. I'm a big fan of hanging things up in the shower for a while. maybe throwing a little water on them, then pretending I ironed them... :)


Sherly (callyx) | 1 comments Well, I read and draw a lot. I love drawing the manga style. I usually will get inspired after reading a very good novel like ID or the hunger games. Then I'll try to draw the characters out on some papers.I hate cockroach, mosquitos and rats. Like really really hate them.


J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Hi Sherly,
Loevly to meet you. I wish i could draw, and actually these days I'm not horrible at cartoons and things for the kids I teach. My problem is that I'm completely colourblind. Once at school my entry for an easter drawing competition was a green bunny rabbit... :(
And I once lived in an apartment with rats in the ceiling. So I get that completely...


message 7: by Wally (new)

Wally Runnels (wrunnelspacbellnet) | 4 comments Hi All, my name is Wally Runnels. I'm the author of the novelette, The In-Ko-Pah Spirit. So I guess I like writing. Also hiking and finding weird places and spots where people have lived hundreds of years ago.
Also I'm going to try my hand at doing a graphic short story. I came out of advertising as an art director, so I have a fair wrist.


J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Hi Wally,
Seems we're surrounded by people who can draw. I'm trying to summon up some other talents, but the best I can come up with is ping pong...
hmm.


message 9: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Name's Natasha most call me Nat since it's easier to type out and stuff. I tend to spend my time reading (duh) writing, drawing, and youtubing (music is a BIG part of my life), and just chilling with my buddies.I'm a distance runner, play pool, and fail at hand eye coordination. Well that about sums me up, well some what i have to keep a few of my own secrets. :)


message 10: by Wally (new)

Wally Runnels (wrunnelspacbellnet) | 4 comments Hi Nat, (I almost said thanks for the follow) I guess I have a mental metacarpal syndrome), most people today draw with a computer and shudder when they see a pen and ink. Although I draw my lines in ink then scan and put in the color with the computer.

With regards to J.D.'s comment I've never been darn at ping pong.


message 11: by Natasha (new)

Natasha seriously? that's really sad I tend to use pencils, pens, and just about anything you can write with to write on all and anything. I'm okay at ping pong, but like i said hand-eye coordination and i do not get along very well.


Scarlett (killhailmary) | 2 comments I like writing, to dance and sing, I also like using my ~creative~ skills on making graphic arts or on simple drawing to linear art. I also would like to tackle film studies. All that said, my pet peeve is being lazy. LOL


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Obviously, I like reading. I used to be the 'finder of lost things' but my second child seems to have stolen that ability and mutated it into 'destroyer of everything'. I love blogging, swimming, geocaching, minecraft (videogame), Facestalking (as I like to call it), and general crafty type stuff (drawing, cross-stitch, stained glass, jewelry making...)
I nearly have a phobia of spiders (especially big hairy ones). While I love my kids, I am so sick of whining and crying and have considered no longer answering to "Mom" and instead requiring them to say "Queen of the Knights who say Nee!" Maybe not the best idea, but it would be a change of pace from hearing "Mom" screamed every 5 minutes. I really dislike 3-D movies (because I will never be able to see in 3-D)


message 14: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Scarlett wrote: "I like writing, to dance and sing, I also like using my ~creative~ skills on making graphic arts or on simple drawing to linear art. I also would like to tackle film studies. All that said, my pet ..."

Hi Scarlett,
Good to meet you. I completely hear you on the laziness. I hate my own laziness. Sometimes I get to Saturday lunch, when I should have been writing, and instead I've been lying in bed, messing on facebook, watching TV, and I'm like 'WHAT IS HAPPENING'
The crazy thing is that I even LIKE writing... :)


message 15: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Alana (aka ◘Whiplash◘) wrote: "Obviously, I like reading. I used to be the 'finder of lost things' but my second child seems to have stolen that ability and mutated it into 'destroyer of everything'. I love blogging, swimming,..."

Hi Alana,
I love your titles, finder of things, queen of Knights who say Nee, while your kid is the destroyer of things. It sounds like yours is a properly fun, mythic household...


message 16: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella Bradley (gabriellabradley) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite!!! I do NOT like rats. Had one recently, yikes! That big fat thing actually chewed a hole in my carpet, chewed on my bananas and oranges on the counter and left turds everywhere! Thankfully, the rat man caught it and found how it got into the house! I didn't sleep for 2 nights!

I'm a writer. I love to write paranormal, fantasy, science fiction. My last co written series has just gone up, The Samsara Chronicles. It's set on Earth, but continues on another planet further into the series of novellas. So I guess it's futuristic/science fiction? I've got several new works in the hopper I need to finish.


message 17: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (awexis) I like reading young adult paranormal and dystopian books. I love to watch anime and read manga. I write short stories too, though not active anymore so I just write reviews of books I've read and love. I hate cockroaches. I bawled my eyes out when it came flying at me and landed on my left cheek. *shudders*


message 18: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Gabriella wrote: "Thanks for the invite!!! I do NOT like rats. Had one recently, yikes! That big fat thing actually chewed a hole in my carpet, chewed on my bananas and oranges on the counter and left turds everywhe..."

OMG that's horrible! There's nothing worse than a furry invader scuttling around your house...

I'm very impressed by your productivity. maybe you'd like to post in the other thread, where Stephanie has asked about this...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...


message 19: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Lexie wrote: "I like reading young adult paranormal and dystopian books. I love to watch anime and read manga. I write short stories too, though not active anymore so I just write reviews of books I've read and ..."

That's a couple of people in this thread who love Manga. I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out. Do you have any recommendations?
As for the cockroach in the face. I've got the shudders just thinking about it...


message 20: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (awexis) J.D. wrote: "Lexie wrote: "I like reading young adult paranormal and dystopian books. I love to watch anime and read manga. I write short stories too, though not active anymore so I just write reviews of books ..."

Depends on your preference though. I read Shounen type of manga, Shounen mostly means they are well liked by guys since there's a lot of actions or harem of girls. If you like that kind of genre then, I recommend the all time favorites, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Beelzebub, Katekyo Hitman Reborn and Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler).

I also read Shoujo type of manga, that means it's all about love, romantic comedy, girly stuffs. If that's what you liked, then I recommend Kaichou wa Maid Sama, Vampire Knight, Dengeki Daisy, Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu, Skip Beat, Fruits Basket..

I could go on and on and on. LOL. I'm sorry if I'm being nerdy. :3

That's why I hate seeing cockroaches. :( I cried for full 5-10mins. I run to my mom and cried. LOL.


Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 5 comments I love reading, blogging, zombies, movies, did I mention zombies?? Oh and Hello Kitty. I also have a fear of chalk can't touch the stuff makes me queasy.


message 22: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Lexie wrote: "J.D. wrote: "Lexie wrote: "I like reading young adult paranormal and dystopian books. I love to watch anime and read manga. I write short stories too, though not active anymore so I just write revi..."

Thanks I'm going to try one of each, maybe this weekend... :)


message 23: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) wrote: "I love reading, blogging, zombies, movies, did I mention zombies?? Oh and Hello Kitty. I also have a fear of chalk can't touch the stuff makes me queasy."

Hi Kristin, excellent mix of loves. Zombies and Hello Kitty. Which makes me think of a spoof story featuring a zombie hello kitty. How cool would that be?

Now that I think of it chalk is weird. Too smooth...


Scarlett (killhailmary) | 2 comments J.D. wrote: "Hi Scarlett,
Good to meet you. I completely hear you on the laziness. I hate my own laziness. Sometimes I get to Saturday lunch, when I should have been writing, and instead I've been lying in bed, messing on facebook, watching TV, and I'm like 'WHAT IS HAPPENING'
The crazy thing is that I even LIKE writing... :) "


Ditto. It's so crazy when you like inspired to write a minute later then inspired just to lay down and do nothing the next XD


Lord David Prosser | 3 comments Hello I'm David. Love to read but like to write. Pet peeves are bad manners, swearing for the sake of swearing and spiders which send a chill up my spine. Oddly enough not rats since we keep four and they're sweet, intelligent girls. Amy, Penny, Bernie and Priya. Guess where those names came from.


message 26: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Casey wrote: "Hi, I'm Casey. I love to write both wanna-be-novels and poetry.
I hate spiders. I don't know why, after all these years of living in the basement and having to kill tons of them, but they still sca..."


Hi casey, lovely to meet you. What's a wanna be novel... ? And I'm intrigued by the ieda of living in the basement. Sounds very gothic and suitably opposed to the artist living in the garrett.
I don't know why you kill spiders, though. Weirdly I don't like roaches and mosquitos, but spiders are fine.
maybe because a freind of mine in Australia used to have tarantulas living in a tree in her garden, who would come into the kitchen at night and hunt roaches. Nice eh?


message 27: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
David wrote: "Hello I'm David. Love to read but like to write. Pet peeves are bad manners, swearing for the sake of swearing and spiders which send a chill up my spine. Oddly enough not rats since we keep four a..."

another spider hater... oh no. Pet rats I think are diffrent deal, but lying in bed hearing them scuttling around in the eiling is reeeeeally creepy...
What do you write?


message 28: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani (daniatsea) Hi, I'm Daniela.
I read and write a lot, although I'm not really very poetic :3
I also spend a lot of time doing nail art - at the moment I have Dr Seuss' Lorax characters on my nails xD
I am absolutely terrified of spiders.


Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 5 comments Daniela wrote: "Hi, I'm Daniela.
I read and write a lot, although I'm not really very poetic :3
I also spend a lot of time doing nail art - at the moment I have Dr Seuss' Lorax characters on my nails xD
I am abso..."


Ooo I love nail art to. You should make a youtube video of your current design.


Lord David Prosser | 3 comments J.D. wrote: "David wrote: "Hello I'm David. Love to read but like to write. Pet peeves are bad manners, swearing for the sake of swearing and spiders which send a chill up my spine. Oddly enough not rats since ..."

I have 3 books out in the humorous genre so far both paperbacks and ebooks,
My Barsetshire Diary
The Queen's Envoy
More Barsetshire Diary.
Since my wife contracted cancer last July the fourth book seems to be on permanant hold- I can hear the public cheer now.LOL


message 31: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Daniela wrote: "Hi, I'm Daniela.
I read and write a lot, although I'm not really very poetic :3
I also spend a lot of time doing nail art - at the moment I have Dr Seuss' Lorax characters on my nails xD
I am abso..."


i love nail art. it's like painting on faberge eggs for the 21st centruy. You could also do a tumblr of it, or pinterest. that would be cool


message 32: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Casey wrote: "I call what I write wanna-be-novels because I'm not far enough along in any of them for them to be considered actual novels. So right now they are wanna-bes."

you're really honest! i call everything a novel... :)


Christina Rodriguez (christina316) Hi I'm Christina. I love to read and write (mostly fanfics) and pet peeves: liars, people that say umm too many times when talking, and vindictive people.


Debbie Hope (debbiehope) | 1 comments My pet peeve is working when I want to write. I have only just had time to look at my latest interview let alone send the link around. I don't think I can do that here so I'll go and put it in author's corner.


message 35: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "Hi I'm Christina. I love to read and write (mostly fanfics) and pet peeves: liars, people that say umm too many times when talking, and vindictive people."

Um, yeah. I, um...
What was I, um, saying?
Um. My brain um, goes.
Um, slowly?#

Me too!


message 36: by Wally (last edited Jun 09, 2012 06:30AM) (new)

Wally Runnels (wrunnelspacbellnet) | 4 comments Pet peeves: that's easy. When someone comes to the door to sell me something when I'm trying to write, and the dogs are raising hell.


message 37: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Debbie wrote: "My pet peeve is working when I want to write. I have only just had time to look at my latest interview let alone send the link around. I don't think I can do that here so I'll go and put it in auth..."

Oh I know this one. Working is ridiculous. I really don't get why my boss is so keen on it...


Janna Shay (jannashay) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Janna. I love to write. I write contemporary romance and romantic suspense. I also love reading. I read all genres. My pet peeve is procrastinating. With a very busy schedule, I catch myself putting too many things off for the next day. The only thing my procrastination does is make my next day busier than the last.


message 39: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Wally wrote: "Pet peeves: that's easy. When someone comes to the door to sell me something when I'm trying to write, and the dogs are raising hell."

I get your point, but my problem is that I sometimes love a distraction like this. I might invite them in... :)


message 40: by Dionne (new)

Dionne (httpwwwgoodreadscomdionnelister) | 2 comments Hi Everyone :) I love writing, reading, drawing and painting, oh, and animals. My pet peeves are drivers who have no idea and people who rip other people off. Gee, that sounds a bit aggressive, doesn't it lol.


message 41: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Janna wrote: "Hi, I'm Janna. I love to write. I write contemporary romance and romantic suspense. I also love reading. I read all genres. My pet peeve is procrastinating. With a very busy schedule, I catch mysel..."

Oh I get this one so much tooooo. Sometimes I think my most dominating characteristic is procrastination.

I once had a plan to design a t-shirt with a
procrasti
NATION
design on the front. But I never got around to it... Is there any hope for us, you think? the nation of Procrasti...


message 42: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Dionne wrote: "Hi Everyone :) I love writing, reading, drawing and painting, oh, and animals. My pet peeves are drivers who have no idea and people who rip other people off. Gee, that sounds a bit aggressive, doe..."

Hi Dionne,

I don't think that's too sharp, no. What do youd raw and paint?


message 43: by Dionne (new)

Dionne (httpwwwgoodreadscomdionnelister) | 2 comments I do a life drawing class on a Tuesday night and I also like doing still lives and landscapes, although I'm not very good. I like working with charcoal, pastels and oil paints. It's very relaxing and you get lost in it, kind of like when you are in the middle of writing. Thanks for asking :)


Christina Rodriguez (christina316) J.D. wrote: "Christina wrote: "Hi I'm Christina. I love to read and write (mostly fanfics) and pet peeves: liars, people that say umm too many times when talking, and vindictive people."

Um, yeah. I, um...
Wha..."


lol totally hate that!


message 45: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Dionne wrote: "I do a life drawing class on a Tuesday night and I also like doing still lives and landscapes, although I'm not very good. I like working with charcoal, pastels and oil paints. It's very relaxing a..."

I've always wished i could draw, or paint. As an EFL teacher I've really worked on my line drawing on the board, but still I keep within a limited number of things I can do clearly.
I think writing is often like drawing, though. Sometimes I go and go at a description or a comparison to get it right, and when you're satisfied that you've done the best job with the adjectives or similes you could, it's a really satisfying feeling, maybe like painting a picture...


message 46: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
I've got a new arch enemy. Insomnia. I've got so much to do, with song to wake to out in paperbaack in a week, and lullaby of lies coming thru to a final draft, and all night i stare at the ceiling, and all day I'm in a complete fog...
Hate it!


message 47: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (vanillaorchids) I've only enjoyed reading for about three years. I read every day now and have so much catching up to do. Apart from reading, I enjoy graphic design although I'm losing my touch, I think, since my obsession with reading began. LOL I also enjoy music and singing.

Pet peeves? I think one of my biggest pet peeves is the way people drive these days. So many don't bother using turn signals or for that matter, they don't stop at stop signs. It really irritates me.


message 48: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Pamela wrote: "I've only enjoyed reading for about three years. I read every day now and have so much catching up to do. Apart from reading, I enjoy graphic design although I'm losing my touch, I think, since my ..."

Hi Pamela! Really good to hear from you, you're another super talented member of the group, I think...

I hear you about the driving. Having said that, I live in the Middle East, where anybody paying attention to rules is actually quite surprising...


Shirley  | 7 comments So, super power, huh? Well, I'm a graphic designer and my absolute favorite thing to do is to turn someone's vision into a representation of what they have in their head. It might take a couple of tries, and it doesn't always work but when it does, it is magic! Not sure if that qualifies, but it's all I've got ;)


message 50: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 91 comments Mod
Shirley wrote: "So, super power, huh? Well, I'm a graphic designer and my absolute favorite thing to do is to turn someone's vision into a representation of what they have in their head. It might take a couple of ..."

Thats a very cool super power to have. I like doing the same thing, but just with words, and not often the things that other people have in their heads. it's a joy to play wround with words for ages, until you get them to line up into the exact feeling, or image you had in mind.


« previous 1
back to top