Speculative Society discussion

June/July: The Scorpio Races > Week 1: Chapters 1-8

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (marilynmuniz) | 44 comments Mod
Discuss your thoughts on Chapters 1-8.

message 2: by Ella (new)

Ella Gray (ellagray) | 18 comments Finally got my copy from the library and breezed through the first chapters last night. So far I'm really enjoying both POV characters and their world - I didn't realize before that it's a contemporary fantasy, and I like that.

Sometimes it takes me a while to get used to present tense writing, but it works so well here that I barely notice. And I'm crazy about the deadly water horses, which references legends of kelpies and other similar creatures. When I looked it up there was one from Scottish lore called the 'each uisge', close to what they're called in the book. Thems are some scary horses, LOL.

The scene at the very end of chapter 8 was horrifying, even though it turned out not to be Finn. Now I'm so worried about Puck's mare, Dove. It will be fascinating (and likely heart-wrenching) to see how the regular horse deals with the giant flesh-eating ones during the race.

Sean and Puck both have a unique perspective, but with the short chapters jumping back and forth between them, it is kinda choppy. But, I'm hooked and can't wait to see where the story goes.

message 3: by Penny (new)

Penny Ramirez (drgnl80) I, too, am hooked - so much that I forgot to stop reading after chapter 8 and jot down my thoughts! :)

It's a good setup, so far, and I adore Stiefvater's writing style - she has a turn of phrase that sticks with me.

message 4: by Ella (new)

Ella Gray (ellagray) | 18 comments Penny - I have to agree about the author's playful imagery, especially from Puck's perspective. And it's such a contrast to Sean's stoic demeanor, although both are very enjoyable :)

message 5: by Meham (new)

Meham | 11 comments I didn't just breeze through the book. Blasted through it in two days!! Will definitely have to go back and take it more slowly. I agree about the language, though. I want a paper copy so that I can underline every part I like.

By the way, Uisge beatha is what whiskey was called originally: water of life.

As for the novel: I've learned to be critical of prologues in novels but this one worked extremely well. It set up the stakes and introduced one of the main characters, but not the one the novel starts with.

message 6: by Penny (new)

Penny Ramirez (drgnl80) I finished it last night and now I am bursting!

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

I'm not sure if I wasn't in the mood to read, but so far isn't to my liking. the short chapters between Puck and Sean is driving me up the wall. Just as I got use to one POV the chapter ends.

Present tense writing is ok. It's very word and could be trimmed. Or maybe I developed a aversion to 1st POV because of a certain book. The story is interesting and different so I will continue to push through.

message 8: by Ella (new)

Ella Gray (ellagray) | 18 comments Marilyn - I really hope you stick with it because it's definitely worth it :) BTW, can we have an early thread for those of us who have already finished? It's such a quick read that I think most of us will be done and moved on way before we get to all the chapter threads, LOL. Thanks!

message 9: by Marilyn (new)

I'll start a thread for those who finished.