J.D. Robb discussion

In Death Unplugged > In Death Quotes/Special Moments

Comments Showing 1-50 of 306 (306 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12963 comments Mod
Witness in Death (bypass this if you haven't read this book)

One of my most favorite moments in the series is in this story. It's when Eve starts to feel guilty about her side of her relationship with Roarke after everyone around her talked about the special things he does for her. She decides to put together an intimate dinner for them at home all by herself and gets overwhelmed just trying to pick out the china, silverware and crystal. Summerset eventually comes to her rescue. But the real high point was Roarke's reaction. This scene has some of the funniest moments in the series.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

♨Miz♨ wrote: "good one !

I can't remember which book it is, but the one scene that always comes to mind is the scene where Eve thinks that Roarke has fallen asleep and she tells him that she loves him. He opens..."

It's from Ceremony in Death and here's the scene (I so love this one):

For once, he slept first. She lay in the dark, listening to him breathe, stealing a little of his warmth as her own body cooled. Since he was asleep, she stroked his hair.

"I love you," she murmured. "I love you so much, I'm stupid about it."

With a sigh, she settled down, closed her eyes, and willed her mind to empty.
Beside her, Roarke smiled into the dark.

He never slept first.

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb Lie (barb_l) | 17 comments I remember that one so well. It just solidifies how much they love each other. great moment.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

I cheated a little on this one as it was already listed in my other group. I will say, though, after having read the series three times, I remember which book these scenes come from.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

"I appreciate beautiful women for a variety of reasons, and enjoy spending time with them. I don't employ professionals for two reasons. First, I don't find it necessary to pay for sex. And second, I don't choose to share. Do you?"

-------Roarke to Eve, Naked in Death

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

"The explosion came through Peabody’s communicator – loud and clear. There was a long, timeless period of blind terror. Getting there, then getting through the chaos. Blood and glass and smoke. Then I heard you, sniping at the MT, and life snapped back into place for me.”

-----Roarke to Eve, Vengeance in Death

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 168 comments ♨Miz♨ wrote: "good one !

I can't remember which book it is, but the one scene that always comes to mind is the scene where Eve thinks that Roarke has fallen asleep and she tells him that she loves him. He pens his eyes in the dark and smiles, because he never falls asleep first..."

Love, love, LOVE that scene, Miz!

message 8: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jun 04, 2012 12:21AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 168 comments Peabody: “When a guy’s in the hospital, he wants toys.”

Eve: “When a guy gets a splinter in his toe, he wants toys.”

Witness in Death, by J.D. Robb

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

♨Miz♨ wrote: "No. No, I don't believe you'd betray me with her. I don't believe you'd cheat on me. But I'm afraid, and I'm sick in my heart that you might look at her, then at me. And regret.”
― J.D. Robb, Inno..."

My most remembered, poignant line from that book.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Lisa Kay wrote: "Peabody: “When a guy’s in the hospital, he wants toys.”

Eve: “When a guy gets a splinter in his toe, he wants toys.”

Witness in Death, by J.D. Robb"

I remember that one!!

message 11: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 04, 2012 05:29AM) (new)

♨Miz♨ wrote: "The scene where Roarke and Eve have a MAJOR argument about money (having just left the stripper they interviewed.)"

This is from Strangers in Death and was a really good fight.

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 168 comments I haven't gotten to that one yet. But I love their fights. They are in the upper echelon of fights. Love the make-up sex afterwards, too. ☺

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Lisa Kay wrote: "I haven't gotten to that one yet. But I love their fights. They are in the upper echelon of fights. Love the make-up sex afterwards, too. ☺"

Lol! Don't we all.

message 14: by Grace (new)

Grace  | 42 comments Jonetta, That scene is Witness is a fav! I love how he didn't believe/expect it.

Miz, That's one of my fav scenes too. Roarke you little sneak.

And I love that poignant scene when Roarke is wishing Eve is with him in Ireland then he sees her landing in the distance. I think it's in Portrait in Death.

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Tyraa wrote: "Jonetta, That scene is Witness is a fav! I love how he didn't believe/expect it.

Miz, That's one of my fav scenes too. Roarke you little sneak.

And I love that poignant scene when Roarke is wi..."

Yes! That's Portrait in Death, one of the most classic scenes in the series. I think everybody has that highlighted or bookmarked!

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

♨Miz♨ wrote: "Such a good one , Tyra !

“Roarke: The bodies of the three men were found floating in the Chattahoochee River.

Eve: I think it'd be embarrassing to be dead in the Hoochie-Coochie River.

Roarke: C..."

I've been trying to find this quote forever! Thanks for posting.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments ♨Miz♨ wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "♨Miz♨ wrote: "Such a good one , Tyra !

“Roarke: The bodies of the three men were found floating in the Chattahoochee River.

Eve: I think it'd be embarrassing to be dead in the Hoo..."

I have to reread that one. I forgot all about it. Also I have to reread Witness. I forgot about that quote also.

My favorite is in Ceremony in Death

Peabody: By the way, Dallas.
Eve: What Peabody?
Peabody: That's a lovely tattoo, new?
Eve clamped her teeth together, strode toward the door with as much dignity as she could manage
Eve: See
she jabbed a finger into Roarkes chest as they walked down the cooridor,
Eve: I told you I would be humiliated by that stupid rosebud
Roarke: You've been drugged, slapped, tied up naked and nearly killed, but a rose on your butt humiliates you
Eve: All that other stuff the job, the rosebud is personal
lauging he swung his arm around her shoulders hugging her close.
Roarke; Christ, lieutenant, I love you!

message 18: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 168 comments **gulp**

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments ♨Miz♨ wrote: "Nice one, Dee !

“There was never anybody before you," she said. "I just wanted to say that. And when I did what I do, and it opened a crack in me like it did last night, there was nobody there to ..."

Wow!

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Roarke: "An eye for an eye."

Eve: "That's a revenge thing, right? From some play."

Roarke: "The Bible, darling. The Lord of all plays."

----from Vengeance in Death

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments ♨Miz♨ wrote: "“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Roarke: You'd be jumpy, too, if I asked you things that make you feel the hot breath of hell at your back. I love this..."

I love that one. I forgot all about it.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

♨Miz♨ wrote: "There were two similar circumstances that I found highly entertaining. The one (I think Treachery) is when Eve interviews a cop at her house, and the cop is in a relationship with a bear of man who..."

I believe that second one is from Holiday in Death.

message 23: by Dee (last edited Jun 08, 2012 11:42AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments One I love is in Born in Death. When Roarke and Eve are at the baby classes.

They are watching the birth of a baby and Eve let herself go into a trance and thinking about going home and washing the memory of the last 3 hours away with a full liter of wine when Mavis grabbed her hand.
"Dallas, look! The babys coming!
"Huh? What?" Those glazed eyes popped wide. "What now? Well, Jesus. Breathe, right?"
Laughter erupted around them as Eve lurched to her feet.
"Not this baby." Giggling, Mavis stroked her basketball belly. "That baby."
Instint had Eve glancing in the direction Mavis pointed and getting a wide-screen blast of the bellowing, wriggling, gunk-covered creature sliding out from between some poor woman's legs.
"Oh, man. Oh, God." She sat down, before her own legs went out from under her. No longer caring if it made her a sissy, she groped for Roarke's hand. When he gripped it, she found it as clammy as her own...

"Air," Roarke murmured into her ear. "I'm in desperate need of air."
"It's the pregnant women. I think they suck up all the oxygen. Think of something. Get us out of here. I can't think. My brain won't work right."
"Stand with me." He hooked a hand under her arm pulled her up...

"I told them we'd get the car, bring it around to the front. Save them some steps."
"Your brilliant. Freaking white knight. If I ever recover from this trauma I'll screw your brains out."
"I hope eventually my brain cells regenerate enough to make that possible. "My God, Eve, My God."
"Total tandem here. Did you see how it just slithered out when-"
"Don't. If you love me, don't take me back there."

message 24: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 109 comments "You have heard the expression 'love is blind'"
"I think it's bullshit. Lust dazzles, sure, at least for the short term. But love clears the vision. You see better, sharper, because you feel more that you did before

Eve to Roarke - Memory in Death

Eve got the point there =)

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Ren wrote: ""You have heard the expression 'love is blind'"
"I think it's bullshit. Lust dazzles, sure, at least for the short term. But love clears the vision. You see better, sharper, because you feel more t..."

oh I love that.

message 26: by Dee (last edited Jun 12, 2012 10:29AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments When Mick, a thief and childhood friend, stepped into a knife that was meant for Roarke and was killed Eve told Roarke "He was a hero, and the NYPSD is issuing a posthumous citation that says so."
Roarke stared at her, took one step back, Then to Eve's utter shock, threw back his head and roared with laughter. Deep, rich, from-the-belly laughter. "Oh, Jesus, if he wasn't dead already, that would kill him for certain. A citation from the fucking cops as his epitah."

Betrayal in Death

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

Dee wrote: "When Mick, a thief and childhood friend, stepped into a knife that was meant for Roarke and was killed Eve told Roarke "He was a hero, and the NYPSD is issuing a posthumous citation that says so."
..."

I LOVED this! I also think Eve's nose got a little out of joint about it:)

message 28: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 109 comments Thanks Dee and Miz! =D

Another my favorite :

"We're standing here, beat to shit, walking away from a crime scene where either or both of us could have bought it, and you're asking me to marry you?"

"Perfect timing. "

Glory in Death

The most 'romantic ' marriage proposal I've ever read, LOL!

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

I agree, Ren!

message 30: by Jonetta (new)

Eve: "You've got a cousin in a coven in Cincinnati. Peabody, you never cease to amaze me."

Peabody: "One day I'll tell you about my granny and her five lovers."

Eve: "Five lovers isn't abnormal for a woman's lifetime."

Peabody: "Not in her lifetime; last month. All at the same time. She's ninety-eight. I hope to take after her."

----from Ceremony in Death

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

Trina: "You have the finest man-candy on and off planet, and you want him looking at your face with bags and wrinkles? What are you going to do when he dumps you for a woman who takes time to maintain her face?"

Eve: "Kill him."”

----from Seduction in Death

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Eve: "I was single a hell of a lot longer than I've been married. I never stooped to cyber-world."

Peabody: "Big deal when you're tall and thin with jungle-cat eyes and have a sexy little dent in your chin."

Eve: "You coming on to me, Peabody?"

Peabody: "My love for you is a fearsome thing, Dallas. But I've given up dating cops."

----from Seduction in Death

message 33: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 109 comments I'm from Indonesia, and read Glory in Death's translated version. Funny thing is first time I read about Peabody, I assume she is male. Eve just called her "Officer Peabody" and in Indonesian languange "she" and "he" have same meaning, so sometimes its hard to us to guess character gender. I just realized Peabody is female, when I know her first name "Delia" at Immortal in Death =)

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

I never knew that...how confusing that must have been.

message 35: by Dee (last edited Jun 18, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments This comes from Conspiracy in Death

I love this scene because it shows just how much everyone cares about her, even Sommerset. This was after Eve's badge was taken. The first night Roarke let her grieve. The next day Eve wanted some air and one of my favorite scenes is when she came back in.

...all she wanted now was Roarke, and to crawl in some warm place with him and have him tell her it was going to be alright. She stepped inside, the old running shoes she put on soaked through,her jeans wet nearly to the knees. She hadn't stopped for a jacket before going out and the sudden warmth had her swaying in mild shock. Sommerset watched her a moment his lips tight, his eyes dark with worry. Deliberately, he fixed his most arrogant expression on his face and slipped into the foyer. "Your filthy and wet! And your tracking water all over the floor. You might show a bit of respect for your own home.

He waited for the flash of temper, the cold flare of her eyes, and felt the heart she didn't know he had squeeze when she simply stared at him.

"Sorry," She looked down blankly at her feet, "I didn't think." she laid a hand at the newel post noticed with a kind of distant interest that it was it was cold enough to snap and started up the stairs.

Unnerved Sommerset moved quickly to the communication center "Roarke the lieutenant has just come in from outside. she wore no outer gear she looks very bad."

"where is she"? shes heading up. "

"Roarke, I insulted her and she apologized to me. something most be down."

""Its about to be.

message 36: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 109 comments @Jonetta and Miz : Since Peabody just briefly introduced at Glory in Death, its not a big deal. But still weird :)

BTW, I remember a scene when Summerset go vacation, and Roarke buy new grill machine or something like that. I forgot that scene from what book. But I love to see Roarke in casual clothes. Just wear T-Shirt and jeans, he must be look sexy!

message 37: by Diana (last edited Jun 18, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

Diana | 28 comments Strangers in Death --

Eve: The point is, you’ve got a dozen years in, and one night the guy comes home and says: 'Look, honey, I picked up this ball gag and anal probe on the way home. Let’s go try them out.'

Peabody: That would be a shocker, but I bet it was more subtle than that. Maybe he tries out a few new moves, testing the waters, and she’s not receptive, and it goes from there. It’s like, okay, here’s a man who’s got it pretty damn good. He’s healthy, he doesn’t have a face that scares small children. He’s running a successful business, he’s rich, got the good-looking, spiffed-up wife who loves him. Big house, friends, a nephew who stands in as son and heir. Then he has this mid-life deal—a lot of people do—and he starts thinking yeah, he’s got all this, all this is good, but what’s he missing? And he’s not as young or as potent as he used to be so he compensates. Instead of buying a flashy phallic-symbol vehicle, he wants to get some wild on in bed. But the wife’s like: 'You want to put your what where?'

Eve: And she’s more in the habit of him putting his this there...I get that. So she’s just, well, okay then, you put your what where into whoever, I’ll have somebody else put his this there, and we’re jake?

Peabody: ....But looking at it from your POV—which I have to admit I am, too, as I’m of the opinion if he puts his what anywhere but here? *points out the car window* There’s the door, asshole.

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

@Ren I loved that scene and I remember Roarke being barefoot! How sexy was that!!

@Diana This a classic interchange between Peabody and Eve.

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Ren wrote: "@Jonetta and Miz : Since Peabody just briefly introduced at Glory in Death, its not a big deal. But still weird :)

BTW, I remember a scene when Summerset go vacation, and Roarke buy new grill mach..."

Oh yeah, I would love to see Roarke in jeans and a tight t-shirt, what am I talking about! I would love to see Roarke in anything or nothing at all.

message 40: by Jonetta (new)

Lol!

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments ♨.Miz ♨ wrote: "She narrowed her eyes. " Who murdered sixteen male prostitutes between the ages of eighteen and twenty-three over a three-year period and fed their remains to his his prizewinning hogs ?"

"Christ ..."

where did this quote come from?

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

♨.Miz ♨ wrote: "The book that Nixie is in, when she goes to Roarke at night, because she can't sleep.She sits on his lap like a daughter would, and he looks after her.One of my all time favourite scenes. Such a g..."

This is in Survivor In Death and is a such a lovely scene.

message 43: by Jim (new)

Jim (foxkilo4) “Do little pink fairies sing and dance in your world, Peabody?"
"Sometimes, when it's very quiet and no one else can see.”

message 44: by Jonetta (new)

Jim wrote: "“Do little pink fairies sing and dance in your world, Peabody?"
"Sometimes, when it's very quiet and no one else can see.”"

I love this one...it says so much about Peabody:)

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidid73) | 25 comments This is actually just after the scene already mentioned in Witness in Death, but it makes me laugh every time I read it:

Eve: "I've got this whole love of a lifetime thing in my head. Murder, betrayal, rage."
Roarke: "I beg your pardon?"
Eve: "Never Mind. The last couple of days people have said things that keep sticking in my brain. Would you jump in front of a maxibus for me?"
Roarke: "Absolutely. They don't go very fast."

message 46: by Jonetta (new)

Lol!

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I loved that one

message 48: by Astha (new)

Astha Kapoor (faithfullyyours) Jonetta wrote: "Witness in Death (bypass this if you haven't read this book)

One of my most favorite moments in the series is in this story. It's when Eve starts to feel guilty about her side of her relationship ..."

You're right! One of the funniest... Roarke's foot was so down his throat that his big toe was playing tonsil-hockey.

message 49: by Astha (new)

Astha Kapoor (faithfullyyours) ♨.Miz ♨ wrote: "good one !

I can't remember which book it is, but the one scene that always comes to mind is the scene where Eve thinks that Roarke has fallen asleep and she tells him that she loves him. He opens..."

This one was absolutely amazing... I went "awww", and then I wanted to plant one on him. But then again, I always wanna plant one on him :)

message 50: by Astha (new)

Astha Kapoor (faithfullyyours) Jonetta wrote: ""The explosion came through Peabody’s communicator – loud and clear. There was a long, timeless period of blind terror. Getting there, then getting through the chaos. Blood and glass and smoke. The..."

I went... and still go : Awwww!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7