The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) The Tea Rose discussion

More like this? Please suggest.

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leeanne (last edited Jun 03, 2012 05:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leeanne I've read all the Jennifer Donnelly books that I know of (The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose, The Wild Rose, Revolution and A Northern Light. I love her work, her writing seems so effortless and reading it is an absolute pleasure. Unlike some books that will only really grab my attention a few chapters in, her work has me captivated from page 1 and it's a struggle to put the book down. I would love to find other similar authors. Has anyone read her books, and can you suggest something similar?

Tina I'am a fan also. One book that is similar in feeling to the Tea Rose is Amanda/Miranda by Richard Peck. I love the many diverse books by Barabara Woods. Sally Gunning has a pre-revolutionary trilogy (The Widow's War, Bound, The Rebellion of Jane Clarke) and Geraldine Brooks's Caleb Crossing takes place 100 years before. For earlier historical, I like Cecelia Holland. I'd love to hear other suggestions too.

Leeanne Thank you :) - I've added some of those to my "to read" list. Have you tried The House of the Wind: A Novel by Titania Hardie? I enjoyed that quite a bit, and then Barbara Erskine is also very good, in particular House Of Echoes, although you do need to like a good ghost story to completely enjoy her word, but it's also based on historical fiction.

Tina Thanks! I added those to my to-read list. I did listen to Hardie's "The Rose Labyrinth" on CD a while back and enjoyed it...although I may not have listed it in Goodreads.

message 5: by Mj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mj I've read The Tea Rose and loved it. Gave it 5 stars. Gave 4 stars to The Winter Rose.

The first book similar to The Tea Rose that came to mind was Woman of Substance - the first book in the Emma Harte series by Barbara Taylor Bradford. I read this many years ago but it is still one of my favourite books. Like The Tea Rose it takes place years ago and is about a young woman from a poor background who makes it big in the business world due to her feistiness, smarts, determination, love and loyalty. I think you would enjoy it. The rest of the series is great too. Barbara Taylor Bradford is a great writer. She grabs your attention and keeps you interested. Most of the Emma Harte series is excellent as is her Ravenscar Series.

With my library I have access to NovelList Plus and they suggest similar authors and similar books. Not surprisingly, when I entered The Tea Rose - Barbara Taylor Bradford’s The Woman of Substance was the first book suggested as similar so I think the first book that came to mind for me might be well worth trying.

I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know how you enjoyed it or any of the other recommendations that you try.

Leeanne @ Tina - I hope you enjoy it! I'd love to hear your thoughts once your done :)

@Mj - Thank you for the suggestion! I've never read any of her books, so along with the books Tina has suggested, this should get me well started in my goal to discover a favorite author for every letter of the alphabet :) - I will certainly let you know what I thought once I've read it.

Jeanne Try The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin. I love historical fiction. I really enjoyed The Tea Rose and plan on reading the rest of her books as well.

Leeanne Thank you :)
You won't be sorry, the rest of her books are just as good, enjoy them :)

message 9: by Miz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miz Bronze Horseman??

Leona The Shoemaker's Wife

Becky Elisabeth Ashton is good

Eileen Acosta Anything by Penny Vincenzi, especially No Angel which is the first of her trilogy about the Lytton family. Very good!

Claire Try Csardas by Diane Pearson, or the trilogy by Karleen Koen. For First World War drama try Song of Songs by Beverly Hughesdon. The early Audrey Howard books are brilliant, especially The Juniper Bush and the trilogy starting with Ambitions.

message 14: by Nevine (last edited Nov 24, 2012 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nevine Claire wrote: "Try Csardas by Diane Pearson, or the trilogy by Karleen Koen. For First World War drama try Song of Songs by Beverly Hughesdon. The early Audrey Howard books are brilliant, especially The Juniper B..."

Nevine Claire, thank you sooo much for suggesting new books and authors that are similar to The Tea Rose.
Greatly appreciate it......Nadine

Nevine Eileen wrote: "Anything by Penny Vincenzi, especially No Angel which is the first of her trilogy about the Lytton family. Very good!"

Nevine I agree. I love Penny Vincenzi.......I read all her books except Glimpses. Can't seem to find it.
Nadine

Nevine Jeanne wrote: "Try The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin. I love historical fiction. I really enjoyed The Tea Rose and plan on reading the rest of her books as well."

Thanks for sharing

Nevine Thank you all for the wonderful suggestion. One of my goodreads friend recommended Wilflower Hill and The Forgotten Garden. She told me I would enjoy them since I adored Paullina Simons's Tatiana and Alexander saga.
Plan to read them as Soon as I can.
Nadine

The Ruler The Butterfly Box by Santa Montefiore - a saga, just like this one.

Karolyn Leeanne wrote: "I've read all the Jennifer Donnelly books that I know of (The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose, The Wild Rose, Revolution and A Northern Light. I love her work, her writing seems so effortless and readin..."

Ken Follett's new trilogy is similar as well as Dangerous Fortunes.

Nevine Thank you Karolyn and The Ruler for your suggestions......I will check these books you recommended

Lauren Conrad A big issue for me is a lack of historical fiction written about poor or middle class people. Here are a couple of options: Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue, The Book of Fire by Jane Borodale, Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (haven't quite read it yet, will soon), and The Dress Lodger (I wasn't crazy about it, but a lot of people loved it). Definitely look into mysteries. I've found a trend that Victorian mysteries are more about the poor than non-mysteries are. Two exceptions: The Lady Emily Mysteries by Tasha Alexander and the Lady Julia mysteries by Deanna Raybourn are about the filthy rich. One of the things I loved about The Tea Rose was the it wasn't a mystery, but there was a lot of suspense in it, especially dealing with Jack the Ripper.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I love all these suggestions!! I've been trolling online trying to find books similar to the tea rose series (which i absolutely ADORED) and now it looks like I'll have new material to read :)

The Secret Keeper & The Distant Hours by Kate Morton are good historical fiction reads as well, along with The Forgotten Garden.

Nevine Leeanne wrote: "I've read all the Jennifer Donnelly books that I know of (The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose, The Wild Rose, Revolution and A Northern Light. I love her work, her writing seems so effortless and readin..."

I agree with you Leeanne

Carol Leeanne wrote: "I've read all the Jennifer Donnelly books that I know of (The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose, The Wild Rose, Revolution and A Northern Light. I love her work, her writing seems so effortless and readin..."

I just finished The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani. I enjoyed it just as much as Donnelly.

Carol Some other favorites are Honolulu and Molokai by Alan Brennert. Enjoy!

Nevine Appreciate it Carol.......will take your suggestion

Nevine Carol.......when you get the chance you need to read the trilogy of the Bronze Horseman..........superb!!!!!!

Karen Galfo I, too, loved the Tea Rose trligy as well as many of the other books listed here... another series I thorouly enjoyed was Beverly Swerling's City of Dreams, City of Joy, City of God, City of Promise... I think there was also a first book called Shadowbrook... It is a chrnological series of New York, but they can be read separately since the characters are different in each one. But even better than those are Sara Donati's Wilderness books... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!!!

Carol Karen, I read all the Sara Donati Wilderness books. I enjoyed them so much. They were excellent. I love it when you feel you really know the characters, and can't wait to meet them again.

Carol I'll have to try Beverly Swerling's series. You and I seem to have the same taste in favorites:)

Karen Galfo Yes, Carol, we do seem to enjoy the same books... looking back through this thread I'm seeing a lot of books I've read.. I, too, loved Alan Brennert's books -Molokai being my favorite :) BTW, if you haven't read 'One Thousand White Women' by Jim Fergus... it's definitey a must read!

message 34: by Gail (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gail Without fail we HAVE to add Diana Gabaldon to this list - Starting with Outlander/Cross Stitch. They have become family to me. Most of my favourite books are already listed - have to highlight Luiyina's suggestion of "The Secret Keeper & The Distant Hours by Kate Morton are good historical fiction reads as well, along with The Forgotten Garden." Thanks for the other suggestions which are being added to my list right now.

Carol Karen, I did read One Thousand White Women and it was so well done...my heart broke.

Laureen Claire wrote: "Try Csardas by Diane Pearson, or the trilogy by Karleen Koen. For First World War drama try Song of Songs by Beverly Hughesdon. The early Audrey Howard books are brilliant, especially The Juniper B..."

OH! Claire, I love all the first three novelists you mentioned. I haven't read Audrey Howard but I will now. Yes, I did enjoy The Tea Rose too. Leeanne, these authors are good suggestions I think for you.

Nadia (NadiaReads) the bronze horseman trilogy!

Cherilyn Barringer Gail wrote: "Without fail we HAVE to add Diana Gabaldon to this list - Starting with Outlander/Cross Stitch. They have become family to me. Most of my favourite books are already listed - have to highlight Luiy..."

I quadruple suggest Outlander. If you liked Tea Rose, you will LOVE Outlander!

Kelly I loved The Tea Rose. But I am absolutely addicted to the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon!

message 40: by Rosalinda (last edited Aug 22, 2013 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosalinda Morgan I love The Tea Rose. What comes to mind is A Woman of Substance which I read years ago when it was shown on TV and I just reread it two months ago. I bought The Winter Rose but haven't read it yet.

Laureen How about The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiana?

message 42: by Leslie (last edited May 13, 2014 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leslie How about ANYTHING by Susanna Kearsley? I would start with The Winter Sea, her best imho. Romance, history, time travel, she has it all. I have read 4, waiting for others to show up on my Audible.
Also try Deborah Harkness's All Souls Trilogy--it starts with A Discovery of Witches. A bit o' the supernatural, but still seemed to satisfy the part of me that loves Jennifer Donnelly.

message 43: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Some Lesley Pearce's books are kinda similar

Martha Maldonado I read and loved the Tea Rose, Wild Rose and The winter Rose. I love Jennifer Donnelly's writing. other writers I enjoy are Kate Morten, Barbara Taylor Bradbury, Isabelle Allende (Daughter of Fortune and Daughter of Sepia), Kathleen Grissom (the kitchen House) Jennifer Chiaverini (mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker). Thank you for other suggestions I enjoy reading them

Amelie Rose I have read all three of Jennifer Donnelly's `Rose' books and loved them all. You might also like to try anything from Barbara Erskine, beginning with Lady of Hay (absolutely loved it and read everything of hers since), Kate Morton (lovely writer), Judith Lennox (another great writer) and the excellent, very talented author, Robert Goddard (his books are very hard to put down). All of these writers I enjoy immensely and would put in a similar class to the amazing Jennifer Donnelly.

Martha Maldonado Amelie wrote: "I have read all three of Jennifer Donnelly's `Rose' books and loved them all. You might also like to try anything from Barbara Erskine, beginning with Lady of Hay (absolutely loved it and read ever..."

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look for these writers and their books.

message 47: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Many of my favorites are listed here....Csardas by Diane Pearson, Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (all of hers, agreed!) and the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon, Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford...all so great!