The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 20.9 - Lucky Me! - mstan's task: Please Be Patient...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:27AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17601 comments Mod
20.9 - Lucky Me!- mstan's task: Please Be Patient...

This task requires you to be a more more patient with regard to your planning process for the SRC.

With reference to any one book you have read and claimed points for in this SRC (Summer 2012), henceforth referred to as Book X, choose your book (no re-reads) for this task. Read a book you discover in Book X. The author's work MUST be mentioned in the book you have already read and claimed points for. Some options for how you can do this:

1. The book can be mentioned within Book X itself, e.g. if I read for, say, task 25.4, Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast, I can choose that as Book X. That book mentions The Great Gatsby, so I can use that Fitzgerald book for this task.

2. The book can be mentioned anywhere on the cover (front or back) of Book X e.g. another author of "So-and-so Title" is sometimes quoted, in which case you can read "So-and-so Title" for this task. If a series title is mentioned any book from the series would work

3. The book can be mentioned either before or after the main portion of Book X. For example, for e-books, there is sometimes a section stating other works readers enjoyed at the end of the book; for physical books, the publisher may also include synopses or sample chapters of other books at the end. Books mentioned in promotional content at the beginning or end of Book X; in its foreword or acknowledgements; in a list of the author's previous works; in a bibliography; or in the Recommended Reading section may also be used.

**Please note that the title of the book or series title will have to be quoted in Book X, and not just the author's name.

Required: Please state which option you have chosen, explain how the title for your chosen book appears within Book X, AND state the number of the task you have already claimed points for using Book X.

message 2: by mstan (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Notes:

1) Series titles are also accepted as 'titles'.

2) The work you read could be written by the same author of Book X, provided you have not read it before and it is mentioned somewhere in Book X.

3) If you choose option 2, that assumes that you have read the correct edition of the book chosen for Book X for another task. I won't require the cover to be posted, however, since Option 2 also allows for back-covers to be used and those aren't available on goodreads.

message 3: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments reserved

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments On the cover of a book, if it mentions another title by this same author, can that be used?

No Passengers Beyond This Point

http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/7...

Thanks

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments How frustrating! Patience is not my best suit.

message 7: by Kayleigh (last edited Jun 03, 2012 05:37AM) (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments To expand on Kathy's question... At the back of some books it has the first chapter for the next book in a series. Does that count as well?

message 8: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1695 comments I love the task, mstan. I am also wondering if it has to be a different author from the original. For example, all of Ann Patchett's previous books are listed in State of Wonder (my current book). May I read one of her books that I haven't read, or is that just way too easy;) ?

message 9: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 371 comments I'm currently reading Another Piece of My Heart for another task, and on the front cover there is a quote from Adriana Trigiani "author of the Valentine series." Can I read a book in that series?

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments Ugh - patience is so not a virtue that I possess but good task ;)

message 11: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura Hi! I love this task. I often find new books to read this way. American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld is a good option here if you haven't read it yet. The main character is an avid reader and there are probably a dozen different books mentioned within it.

message 12: by mstan (last edited Jun 03, 2012 06:17AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hello Kathy G and Karen GHHS, yes I would accept titles by the same author of Book X, provided these titles are mentioned somewhere on the cover or the back of the book, and what you pick for this task is not a re-read. Kathy G, the example you cited works if you read that edition of No Passengers Beyond This Point by Gennifer Choldenko for another task and claim points for it.

Jen B and Keltie Lee - yes, I would accept series titles as 'titles', so you can read any book in the series mentioned.

Monica, thanks for the suggestion! Just a note that the book you suggested would then have to be read for another task, and one of the books mentioned in it used for this task, 20.9.

Bea and Dee - I am not a patient person as well, so I thought I'd train myself to be ;)

I thought it'd also be fun to pay attention to the books (besides the usual content) we're already reading and claiming points for, for other tasks for this challenge, to help us select the title for this task accordingly.

message 13: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thanks mstan!

message 14: by Bea (last edited Jun 03, 2012 07:36AM) (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Sorry for my snarky comment, mstan.

I had looked at several of my planned books and all either had exerpts of other books by the same author or blurbs by people who wrote for papers and magazines (e.g.,no one listed as author of...). It frustrated me as none of these books have been read by me and I was not wanting to plan to read another book by the X author at this point.

But, I found two options, so now I am less frustrated.

A reviewer (newspaper) of The Tall Pine Polka (an unread carryover from Spring SRC) mentions Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe in comparison.

Another newspaper reviewer of The Return of Merlin says that it "combines The Legend of King Arthur with elements of The Celestine Prophecy.

I think both of these work for option 2. Right?

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) I totally love this task, mstan! It does make planning ahead a tad difficult, but that keeps things interesting. :)

message 16: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Luckily for me, I plan the order I will start reading some of my books :)
So I chose from the inside back of A Great and Terrible Beauty which had the next in the series Rebel Angels :)

message 17: by mstan (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:03AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hi Bea

You mentioned 'I had looked at several of my planned books and all either had exerpts of other books by the same author' --> If by planned books you mean books you are using for other tasks in this challenge (Book X), and they contain excerpts of books (let's call them Books A, B, C) by the same author(s), you can read Book A or B or C for my task, if you have never read them before. The only catch is you have to read Book X first, and claim points for it, before you can claim points for my task by reading Book A or B or C. (However, I see that you may not want to read another book by X author at this point, in which case this may not be an appealing option to you.)

Regarding the two examples you mentioned, which option are you referring to - 1 or 2 or 3? If it is the cover you are referring to, I don't see Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe mentioned on on this cover version of The Tall Pine Polka, but I do see Patty Jane's House of Curl mentioned on the cover (option 2), and you can read House of Curl for 20.9 if you are reading that version of Tall Pine Polka for some other task. (Again, if you do not want to read anything else by Lorna Landvik at this point, I guess this would also not be appealing...)

If the titles mentioned in the reviewers' quotes do not appear within the book itself, nor anywhere on the bookcover (or backcover), then they would not work for the task.

Do feel free to message me privately if you need more clarifications.

message 18: by Kara (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:02AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) Hmm...that wasn't as hard as I thought. I was already planning to read The Kite Runner, and it has a blurb within the first few pages (the promotional content in the beginning with all the reviews) that compares it to Thousand Cranes. Would that work, mstan?

message 19: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Kara wrote: "I totally love this task, mstan! It does make planning ahead a tad difficult, but that keeps things interesting. :)"

Thanks Kara! :)

message 20: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 03, 2012 10:06AM) (new)

I hardly plan any of the tasks- maybe 3 or 4 at a time to get inter-library loans going, so I like the serendipity. I'll see what inspires me as I read. It's fun to take notice of the books being read by characters

message 21: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Kara wrote: "Hmm...that wasn't as hard as I thought. I was already planning to read The Kite Runner, and it has a blurb within the first few pages (the promotional content in the beginning with all the reviews)..."

Hi Kara, yes, that would work. It can come under option 3 as it's in the same spirit - I will just work with Dlmrose to help me expand the description a little.

message 22: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments This is a fun task, mstan, and a great way to find some new authors to read.

message 23: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments mstan wrote: "Hi Bea

You mentioned 'I had looked at several of my planned books and all either had exerpts of other books by the same author' --> If by planned books you mean books you are using for other tasks..."

I think mstan that I was aiming at option 2 for both examples. And, for both, the review comment was found on the back cover. (I own both books.)

My only question about whether this fits option 2 is that the books were mentioned as a comparison of Book X rather than as a book written by the reviewer. So would the examples work for option 2?

Of course, I got that I have to read the first book (Book X) and post it before I can claim points for yours. Just trying to plan the books...then I will do the reading/posting so I qualify for your points.

message 24: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) This is a great task. I have found some great books from other books. I was reading a few books once that mentioned Jane Eyre so I finally broke down and read it and I loved it too!

I will have to keep my eye out for new books now!

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments I really like this task! Luckily, I read lots of ebooks so I'll be checking the suggested reading at the end, since there's usually 3-6 titles. :)

message 26: by Dee (last edited Jun 03, 2012 09:45AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments i know Samhein as a publisher is very good/ or bad whichever way you want to look at it for putting excerpts in the back of their books

lots of romance authors tend to mention other books in theirs - I know Nora Roberts does, Karen Marie moning has in the past

message 27: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I am just wondering if by cover you are including the inside and back inside fly leafs as well or just strictly the front and back.

message 28: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 03, 2012 11:40AM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments I have some books with long promotional lists of other books from the same publisher at the end :)

message 29: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Just want to make sure I understand. So I have the book Hunted planned for a task, at the beginning and at the end it shows the entire series for House of Night, so I can then can read the next in the series for this task?

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments So looking at some of the books that I plan to read for the challenge, they have a page with "Praise for [author]'s X series." For example, Midnight Alley has "Praise for the Morganville Vampire novels" and "Praise for Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series." Does this mean I could read any of the other Morganville books or a book from the other series mentioned?

message 31: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2079 comments I am currently reading Among Others and it mentions just about every decent science fiction book published in the 1970's plus lots of other books.

message 32: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments Just trying to get my head around it, if we're reading a book and it has 'Also by xxx: x, x and x' we can read any of those as long as we haven't read them already?

message 33: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Bea wrote: "mstan wrote: "Hi Bea

You mentioned 'I had looked at several of my planned books and all either had exerpts of other books by the same author' --> If by planned books you mean books you are using f..."

Hi Bea, that would work for Option 2 then. So long as another title is mentioned somewhere on the cover, flyleaf, within the book itself, etc., that's fine.

message 34: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Sheila wrote: "I am just wondering if by cover you are including the inside and back inside fly leafs as well or just strictly the front and back."

Hi Sheila, the fly leafs are fine too.

message 35: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments JennRenee wrote: "Just want to make sure I understand. So I have the book Hunted planned for a task, at the beginning and at the end it shows the entire series for House of Night, so I can then can read the next in ..."

Yep!

message 36: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Angie wrote: "So looking at some of the books that I plan to read for the challenge, they have a page with "Praise for [author]'s X series." For example, Midnight Alley has "Praise for the Morganville Vampire no..."

Yep!

message 37: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Katrina wrote: "Just trying to get my head around it, if we're reading a book and it has 'Also by xxx: x, x and x' we can read any of those as long as we haven't read them already?"

Yep - just have to mention where the 'Also by xxx: x, x, x' appears in the book (sounds like it would be Option 3).

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments OK, let's see if I've got this. I am planning on reading
Lionheart
for another challenge. On the back cover there is a blurb from Margaret George that lists her as the author of Elizabeth I, so I could read Elizabeth I but not one of her other books.
The same back cover also has a blurb from Steve Berry, who has written lots of books, but this quote is listed as being from Publishers Weekly, so I could not read any one of his books.
Fortunately, all of Sharon Kay Penman's other books are listed right after the title page, so I could read any of those that I haven't read before.
How am I doing?

message 39: by Bea (last edited Jun 03, 2012 05:04PM) (new)

Bea | 3929 comments mstan wrote: "Hi Bea, that would work for Option 2 then. So long as another title is mentioned somewhere on the cover, flyleaf, within the book itself, etc., that's fine."

Yippee! I think I have my book then.

I will be reading The Tall Pine Polka for task 30.2 and will read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe for this task as it is mentioned in a review on the back cover of The Tall Pine Polka.

(breathing easier now)

message 40: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments mstan wrote: "Katrina wrote: "Just trying to get my head around it, if we're reading a book and it has 'Also by xxx: x, x and x' we can read any of those as long as we haven't read them already?"

Yep - just hav..."

Thanks, the first book I've read for the SRC had a section like that and I'd started the second book already but wasn't quite sure where I was going to put it, so this is fantastic! :)

message 41: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Chris wrote: "OK, let's see if I've got this. I am planning on reading
Lionheart
for another challenge. On the back cover there is a blurb from Margaret George that lists her as the author of Elizabeth I, so I c..."

Yes, that's a great explanation - you have a couple of choices then!

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments I read A Killer Read last season (cozy mystery) and it mentioned several books (as they were part of a reading group), if anyone is interested

message 43: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Let me see if I understand:

I am currently readingSecrets of a Summer Night

Within the book, there is a list of her other works...and a clip of another book in the series.

So I could read either another book listed on that "Books by Lisa Kleypas" on page 3, or the book in the 'preview' at the end?

message 44: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Christine US wrote: "Let me see if I understand:

I am currently readingSecrets of a Summer Night

Within the book, there is a list of her other works...and a clip of another book in the series.

So I could read eithe..."

That's right!

message 45: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Can Book X be a re-read, as long as Book Y is not?

message 46: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Hi mstan, do pictures of other books on the back of the book count? I'm thinking of a series that has all the books pictured on the back. Thanks.

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments A book I'm reading right now mentioned another book named "Howl," but it doesn't specify an author or describe the book. Does this mean that I could read any book with "Howl" as the title?

message 48: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Can Book X be a re-read, as long as Book Y is not?"

Yes, so long as the book chosen for this task isn't a re-read, Book X can be one.

message 49: by mstan (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Hi mstan, do pictures of other books on the back of the book count? I'm thinking of a series that has all the books pictured on the back. Thanks."

Hi Jayme, if the title of the book appears on the picture, that's fine (I am assuming it's the book-covers that are pictured?).

message 50: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "A book I'm reading right now mentioned another book named "Howl," but it doesn't specify an author or describe the book. Does this mean that I could read any book with "Howl" as the title?"

Hi Ms Anderson, it has to be clear exactly which book is being referred to, so reading any book with the same title would not work for this task.

« previous 1