The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 25.8 - Kate S's task: Going to the Ball Park

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:40AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17879 comments Mod
25.8 - Kate S's task: Going to the Ball Park

It's summer time, let's go see America's past-time. Pick two** options from the following list. You can't do the same option twice, but you can do two different options from the same category. **If you do option E- Doubleheader-this option counts as both books

A. Home or Away-When heading to a game, we must decide if we are rooting for the home team or the visiting team (it will help us decide which colors to wear!)

1. Home-Choose a book written by an author who is a "local". (Born in or lives in the same city/state/ province your do.

2. Away-Choose a book written by an author from a different COUNTRY (by birth or residence) than where you currently live.

Required: Please identify your Home/Away location when you post

B. Hit the Concession Stand

1. Food-Gotta grab a hot dog while you are at the stadium! Read a book originally written in German, set in Germany or by a German author (by birth or residence).

2. Drink-Beer is the drink of the ball park. Read a book about beer brewing or a book with one of the following words in the title: ale, amber, lager, draft, brew, craft, light, dark, or beer. Plurals and possessives are fine, but no other variations or compound words.

C. The restrooms: one of the great inequities at the ball park!

1. The Women's Room: Read a LONG (over 400 pages) book written by a woman.

2. The Men's Room: Read a short book (100-200 pages) written by a man.

D. Go watch the game (or at least the players)

1. Read a biography/autobiography/memoir about a current or past professional baseball player.

2. Read a non-fiction account of baseball. This book should NOT be a biography, but rather a book about the game, ex. Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, Eight Men Out: The Black Sox and the 1919 World Series, The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing, and Bench-Clearing Brawls: The Unwritten Rules of America's Pastime

E. Doubleheader- Sometimes, we are lucky enough to watch two games in one trip, the team match up may look the same, but there are frequently different players involved in each game!

1. Read two books with the same title written by different authors. Subtitles may be ignored. ex. The Reef by Nora Roberts AND The Reef by Edith Wharton

Required: Please identify the options when you post

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Reserved

message 3: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Reserved

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17879 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7698 comments ohhh i like this task! specially the double header option

message 6: by Cassie (last edited Jun 04, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

Cassie | 133 comments For category A, does it matter whether the author is alive or dead? For example, do I need to pick something by Sophie Kinsella over something by Anthony Trollope?

message 7: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments I think I am going to do option E - Night Shift and Night Shift! Yay!

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7698 comments i'm doing the same mstan with Coming Home and Coming Home

message 9: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Cassie wrote: "For category A, does it matter whether the author is alive or dead? For example, do I need to pick something by Sophie Kinsella over something by Anthony Trollope?"

No the author does not need to be alive. Enjoy some Trollope!

message 10: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Dee wrote: "ohhh i like this task! specially the double header option"

I am really glad you like it! I thought the double header sounded fun!

message 11: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Good task. We should all have some ideas for the double header thanks to the nasty bug going around switching covers.

message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Good observation, Donna Jo. Tuns that bug into something useful! :)

message 13: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments All right quick question...

Can you choose one from 2 different letter options or does it have to be from the same letter?

message 14: by Kate S (new)

Kate S ★Meghan★ wrote: "All right quick question...

Can you choose one from 2 different letter options or does it have to be from the same letter?"

With the exception of E, you can pick your two books from different letters

message 15: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Thanks! Oh now the decisions!!!!

Option B-2: Dragonfly in Amber
Option D-2: Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

Or Option E:
The Choice & The Choice

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily | 684 comments For A1 (Home team) are we going by the state/city we currently live in or where we were born?

message 17: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Kate wrote: "For A1 (Home team) are we going by the state/city we currently live in or where we were born?"

Currently live.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily | 684 comments Kate S wrote: "Kate wrote: "For A1 (Home team) are we going by the state/city we currently live in or where we were born?"

Currently live."

Okay, that's what I figured but I wanted to make sure.

message 19: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Just to clarify, I can do C1 and C2, right? Just not C1 twice?

message 20: by Kate S (new)

Kate S You are exactly right, Gayla.

message 21: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) That's what I thought, just wanted to check. Thanks!

message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4093 comments I may change my mind (woman's perogative) but I am headed to the restrooms (C1 & C2)...seems I always am headed to the restrooms!

message 23: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments For A1 can we choose the city or the state that we live in?

message 24: by Kate S (new)

Kate S JennRenee wrote: "For A1 can we choose the city or the state that we live in?"

Yep!

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments I'm planning on doing on option A1. I live in London & wanted to check that I could use Meg Gardineras even though she is from the US she lives near London.

message 26: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Sam wrote: "I'm planning on doing on option A1. I live in London & wanted to check that I could use Meg Gardineras even though she is from the US she lives near London."

Looks good, Sam, enjoy!

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Thanks Kate

message 28: by Hettie (new)

Hettie | 131 comments Love the task. I live i the UK and just want to clarify 1A. Would England count as my city/state/ province?

message 29: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Hettie wrote: "Love the task. I live i the UK and just want to clarify 1A. Would England count as my city/state/ province?"

I think that sounds reasonable.

message 30: by mussolet (last edited Jun 18, 2012 01:53AM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) Silly me had the chance to read two random German books, and I didn't pick a single one...
I chose Gail Carriger as my away author (because the U.S.A. is far away from Germany), and An Elephant In The Garden for the German task, because the story starts in my hometown Dresden and then moves across Germany, ending in Heidelberg. Will those two books work as well?

message 31: by Kate S (new)

Kate S SilverRaindrops wrote: "Silly me had the chance to read two random German books, and I didn't pick a single one...
I chose Gail Carriger as my away author (because the U.S.A. is far away from Germany), and An Elephant In..."

Gail Carriger will work for your A2 and An Elephant in the Garden takes place in Germany, so it works for B1. Enjoy!

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7698 comments for A1 - is saying they live in southern MD specific enough - i'm planning to read a book by Marguerite Labbe and I know she lives in the same town as me (we have car-pooled to a few functions and see each other at the grocery store), but her bio on GR only lists her birth place and her website only says Southern MD - http://www.blogger.com/profile/074403...

message 33: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Dee wrote: "for A1 - is saying they live in southern MD specific enough - i'm planning to read a book by Marguerite Labbe and I know she lives in the same town as me (we have car-pooled to a few functions and ..."

Sounds good, Dee. That is part of the reason I left it open to city/state/province. Hope you enjoy it!