The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 25.6 - JennRenee's task: Sounds of Summer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 03, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17591 comments Mod
25.6 - JennRenee's task: Sounds of Summer.

Many summer songs have fond memories of my childhood days attached to them. Every time I hear these songs, I get carried away and the memories take over. Here are some of my favorite songs and memories.

For this task choose 2 different options and read a book from each.

1.Endless Summer Nights by Richard as Marx- Who doesn’t remember their first young love? I lived in Texas and my Grandparents in Michigan and I would spend my summers with them. My first love that I will always remember started one summer in Michigan I would get to spend the entire summer with him, but always had to leave. I thought it would last forever. This song was really popular the first summer we met and I listened to it over and over when I left to go back home.

Read a book about a summer romance with the genre "romance" on the book's main page. The summer setting should be evident in the title or book description.
OR
Read a book with a night scene on the cover.
Required: Post the cover

2.School’s Out Forever by Alice Cooper- I think this song started the summer for many of us. I remember shouting this after our last class and on the bus all the way home for so many years. This song always reminds me of the start of summer.

Read a book about a vacation or trip OR read a book with a main character as a teenage or college student

3.Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie yellow polka dot bikini- by Brian Hyland -In Jr. High my friends and I would go around the neighborhood to wash cars for our spending money. We loved to sing this song over and over while we played with the suds and sprayer.

Read a book with a swimsuit on cover or one where the main character has a summer job (a job that they only do during the summer.)
Required: Post the cover or identify the summer job

4. Under the Board walk by The Drifters. I remember first hearing this song when I was teenager home for the summer and I watched “Beaches” for the first time. I watched it over and over all summer, it quickly became one of my favorite movies.

Read a book with Under, Board, Walk, Down, Sea in the title or subtitle OR a book that focuses on a friendship from this list Best Adult Female Friendship Books .

5. Kokomo by the Beach Boys –When I was in Junior High I had two best friends, Tabitha and Jennifer. Every weekend in the summer we were staying at one or the others house. This song was really popular and my friend Jennifer made up a line dance to the song. We spent many Friday and Saturday nights learning the dance until we could do it perfectly for our families. Good Times…

Read a book with an island or beach on the cover OR a book that takes place in one of the islands/beaches in the song lyrics........ Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda Bahamas, Key Largo, Montego, Kokomo
Required: post the island/beach cover

Required: Please identify the options when you post
Optional: when posting post one of your favorite childhood summer memories.

message 2: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments reserved

message 3: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments reserved

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17591 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy | 861 comments For option1 - Endless Summer Nights, would Bad Boys Of Summer work for this? Romance is on the main page, but I wanted to check to make sure an anthology was OK. Thanks!

message 6: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Judy wrote: "For option1 - Endless Summer Nights, would Bad Boys Of Summer work for this? Romance is on the main page, but I wanted to check to make sure an anthology was OK. Thanks!"

yes that works. anthologies are fine.

message 7: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Will this work for option 1 (night scene)?

Methland The Death and Life of an American Small Town by Nick Reding

message 8: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Will this work for option 2-
"The Kid" is a "graduate student in forensics"

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

by Stephen King

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3927 comments Would this work for option 1 (Night Scene)?

Manhattan Is My Beat

message 10: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Gayla wrote: "Will this work for option 1 (night scene)?

[bookcover:Methland: The Death and Life of an American Small Town]"

I was looking more of a definite night scene this looks like dusk or dawn to me.

message 11: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Will this work for option 2-
"The Kid" is a "graduate student in forensics"

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

by Stephen King"

yes any college student will work.

message 12: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Bea wrote: "Would this work for option 1 (Night Scene)?

Manhattan Is My Beat"

yes this would work for a night scene.

message 13: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3927 comments JennRenee wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would this work for option 1 (Night Scene)?

Manhattan Is My Beat"

yes this would work for a night scene."

Thank you, JennRenee.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments For Option 4, can the word be part of another word?

I had The Sidewalk Artist by Gina Buonaguro on my TBR list.

message 15: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Chris wrote: "For Option 4, can the word be part of another word?

I had The Sidewalk Artist by Gina Buonaguro on my TBR list."

yes as long as the word is whole it can be part of another word.

message 16: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:28AM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Would these work for night scenes?

Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer The Road by Cormac McCarthy Saturday by Ian McEwan Wolf to the Slaughter (Chief Inspector Wexford #3) by Ruth Rendell

message 17: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura Would this work for #1: Night Scene?

Angel Fire by Lisa Unger

message 18: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would these work for night scenes?

Life as We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer The Road by Cormac McCarthy Saturday by Ian McEwanWolf to the Slaughter by Ruth Rendell"

yes they all work. Life as We Knew It is a great book!

message 19: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Monica S wrote: "Would this work for #1: Night Scene?

Angel Fire (Angel, #2) by L.A. Weatherly"

yes

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Would either of these work for a beach scene for option 5? They aren't the sun-and-sand type, so I wanted to check:

A Superior Death (Anna Pigeon, #2) by Nevada Barr

When the Killing's Done by T.C. Boyle

message 21: by JennRenee (last edited Jun 04, 2012 11:45AM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Jessica wrote: "Would either of these work for a beach scene for option 5? They aren't the sun-and-sand type, so I wanted to check:

A Superior Death (Anna Pigeon, #2) by Nevada Barr This one I will take it looks like there is an area where the waves run over the shore.

When the Killing's Done by T.C. Boyle"
this one to me looks more like just big rocks in the ocean so I would say no to this one.

message 22: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Will this count for a swimsuit on the cover?

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson

message 23: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Gayla wrote: "Will this count for a swimsuit on the cover?

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson"

yes it does. :)

message 24: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Thank you!

message 25: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 04, 2012 01:57PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Night scene? Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1) by Violet Haberdasher

And then the sequel, The Secret Prince... The description says he's still at that boarding school, and it's YA. Not sure how old he really is. But that's probably good for the teenage student part, yes?

message 26: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Night scene? Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1) by Violet Haberdasher- yes will work for night scene.

And then the sequel, The Secret Prince... The description says he's still at that boarding school, and it's YA. Not sure how old he really is. But that..."

yes will work. goodreads summary said he is 14 years old.

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Want to check on a possible night scene:

Tower of Treasure by Scott Chantler

Will this work?

message 28: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Stacie wrote: "Want to check on a possible night scene:

Will this work?"

It will work for a night scene but may be considered an easy reader. I will check on that and get back to you.

message 29: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments JennRenee wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Want to check on a possible night scene:

Will this work?"

It will work for a night scene but may be considered an easy reader. I will check on that a..."

This will work for the night scene task and is good to go. thanks!

message 30: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments JennRenee wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Want to check on a possible night scene:

Will this work?"

It will work for a night scene but may be considered an easy reader. I wi..."

Thanks!!

message 31: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer - does this work for a night scene? Looks like the view of a night scene from a cafe.

message 32: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments mstan wrote: "Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer - does this work for a night scene? Looks like the view of a night scene from a cafe."

yes it sure does

message 33: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1692 comments Is this night enough?

An Unexpected Guest

The lights are on, but the sky isn't completely dark.

message 34: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Is this night enough?

An Unexpected Guest

The lights are on, but the sky isn't completely dark."

sorry for the late reply. This looks like dusk to me. I am looking for more night, dark or moonlight

message 35: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1692 comments JennRenee wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Is this night enough?

An Unexpected Guest

sorry for the late reply. This looks like dusk to me. I am looking for more ni..."

Ok, thanks. I think this one will be ok, but I want to double check. I think the color on this one is a fire, not light in the sky. What do you think?

City of Bohane by Kevin Barry

message 36: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Is this night enough?

An Unexpected Guest

sorry for the late reply. This looks like dusk to me. I am l..."

I just read City of Bohane. It wasn't quite what I expected!

message 37: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Is this night enough?

An Unexpected Guest

sorry for the late reply. This looks like dusk to me. I am l..."

yes this on looks night to me.

message 38: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1692 comments JennRenee wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Is this night enough?

An Unexpected Guest

sorry for the late reply. This looks like..."

Thanks, jennrenee! I have another place for the other one, so I'll make the switch.

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments JennRenee does Death by Desire by Jaden Skye work for the swimsuit option?

message 40: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Dee wrote: "JennRenee does Death by Desire by Jaden Skye work for the swimsuit option?"

Dee wrote: "JennRenee does Death by Desire by Jaden Skye work for the swimsuit option?"

it looks like its a swimsuit to me. it will work

message 41: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Does this work for swimsuit? Ms America and the Offing on Oahu by Diana Dempsey

message 42: by Chaitra (last edited Jun 21, 2012 01:40PM) (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Does The Undertow by Jo Baker work for option 4? Has the word Under. TIA!

message 43: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Deanna wrote: "Does this work for swimsuit? Ms America and the Offing on Oahu by Diana Dempsey"

yes it works. :)

message 44: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Chaitra wrote: "Does The Undertow by Jo Baker work for option 4? Has the word Under. TIA!"

yes this works.

message 45: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 218 comments Would any or all of these work for night scene?

Porch Lights A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frank The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11) by Sarah Graves

message 46: by JennRenee (last edited Jun 22, 2012 03:35PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Suzanne wrote: "Would any or all of these work for night scene?

Porch Lights A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frankthis one looks like dusk and I am looking for more night. The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carletonthis one doesn't look like night to me. The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11) by Sarah Graves"
this one absolutley works.

message 47: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 218 comments Thanks, The Book of Old Houses it is!

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments Moonglass by Jessi Kirby work for a night scene?

message 49: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Dee wrote: "Moonglass by Jessi Kirby work for a night scene?"

yup- I see the moon.

message 50: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 18, 2012 12:21AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments This is obviously enough a swimsuit on the cover, yes? Rites of Spring (Break) (Secret Society Girl, #3) by Diana Peterfreund

« previous 1