The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 25.7 - Marcia's task: Youtube Summer Fun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 03, 2012 05:59AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17580 comments Mod
25.7 Marcia's task: Youtube Summer Fun

For 2 years I taught ESL to elementary school students in South Korea. Although I'm glad to be back in the United States, I miss my students. They loved watching Youtube videos between classes or during lunch.
Read 2 books, each from a different option.

Required: Post the options you chose.

My students' top 5 Youtube videos:
1. Uh-Huh Slow , Uh-Huh Fast
The fast version is by far the most popular video for every grade! My students would be in fits and giggles by the middle, and falling out of their chair laughing by the end. I didn't think it was that funny, but my students would beg to watch it again and again.

Since this was really 2 similar videos, read a book that focuses on 2 main characters that are the same sex. It should be clear in the Goodreads description that the book is about 2 boys or 2 girls.
For example:

For example:Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, Someone Like You, Animal Farm, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, The Chosen, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, A Separate Peace, Firefly Lane

2. People are Awesome
The boys loved this video! I'd hear 'Hull' (Korean slang) and 'Whoa!' when the baseball player rotates the bat, or the guy with 3 basketballs removes his hat.
Read a fiction or non-fiction book featuring one of the sports or activities in this video: special olympics, rollerblading, basketball, soccer, biking, gymnastics, daredevil stunts, tennis, bowling, skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, baseball, diving, golfing, karate, table tennis.

Required: If not in the Goodreads description, please let us know what sport or activity.

3. This Too Shall Pass
Many of my students had never seen a Rube Goldberg Machine! Although they had no idea what the song was about or who OK Go! was, they loved this video. After the 3rd or 4th time watching they asked the meaning of "This Too Shall Pass."
Since it's a video about letting things go, read a book by a deceased author.
Required: Post the author's date of death

4. A Day in the Life of a Korean Student
Eventually my students will become this! As High School students they will attend public school and private 'hagwons' (after school private schools) 12-18 hours every day, including weekends.
Read a fiction or non-fiction book about North or South Korea Or a book that has a main character attending High School full-time; the book should be set during the school year, but does not have to involve school.
For example,Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea (North Korea) Please Look After Mom (South Korea), Twilight (in school)

5. Annoying Orange
After watching this video the boys would greet me with "Wasssabi!" The girls had fun with the adjective 'annoying', and most students learned the names of various fruits!
Read a book with a fruit on the cover or a fruit in the title/subtitle/author's name. Plurals and possessives are ok, but nothing else. Here's a list of fruits, and tomato will be considered a fruit since Koreans eat it that way! If doing the cover option, please post a link to the cover.

message 3: by Marcia (last edited Aug 30, 2012 07:50AM) (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Not Approved: :(

Option 1: Sorry! I should have been clear about focusing on only 2 characters.
Safe Harbor
The Daughters
Song of the Sparrow

Option 2:
Chasing Perfect

Option 3:

Option 4:

Option 5:

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17580 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments for option one are you stating that the have to be the same sex or they have to be two KIDS of the same sex (I'm clarifying the "boys or girls" portion of the wording).

I'd like to read Safe Harbor but, they are adults obviously.

thanks

message 6: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I wanted to check my two choices.

Option 5:
Fallen

and Option 6:
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

message 7: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments option 1 will The Daughters work and for option 4 Before I Fall

message 8: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments for option one are you stating that the have to be the same sex or they have to be two KIDS of the same sex (I'm clarifying the "boys or girls" portion of the wording).

I'd like to read Safe Harbor but, they are adults obviously.

Adults are fine, as long as the focus is on only 2 characters.
From the description it looks like Safe Harbor is following 3 women, so that wouldn't work.

message 9: by Riya (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:12AM) (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments Would the following book work for option 4? The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson

And this book for option 5? The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

message 10: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments I wanted to check my two choices.

Option 5:
Fallen

and Option 6:

Option 6? I think you posted on the wrong help thread!

message 11: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Marcia wrote: "I wanted to check my two choices.

Option 5:
Fallen

and Option 6:

Option 6? I think you posted on the wrong help thread!"

Haha!!! No sorry I meant option 4 and 5 :) Everything always has 6 options so I just took a quick guess :) Would they work for option 4 &5?

message 12: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments option 1 will The Daughters work and for option 4 Before I Fall

For option #1 it looks like The Daughters won't work because it's following 3 girls, not 2.

For option #4 Before I Fall works.

message 13: by Marcia (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:19AM) (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Mariya - Would the following book work for option 4?

Yes, The Orphan Master's Son will work for #4.

And The House on Mango Street works for #5.

message 14: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Marcia wrote: "I wanted to check my two choices.

Option 5:
Fallen

and Option 6:

Option 6? I think you posted on the wrong help thread!"

Haha!!! No sorry I meant option 4 and 5 :) Everything always has 6 options so I just took a quick guess :) Would they work for option 4 &5?

lol! Yes, both books work. Huckleberry is the state fruit of Idaho.. who'd of thought?

message 15: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I see where you mentioned only two not more so for option 1 can I use Prophecy of the Sisters and The Daughters for option 4

message 16: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments JennRenee wrote: I see where you mentioned only two not more so for option 1 can I use Prophecy of the Sisters and The Daughters for option 4

Yes, Prophecy of the Sisters will work for #1 and The Daughters for #4.

message 17: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Ok....I must say the Uh Huh Fast video made me laugh and I watched it twice :)

message 18: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 1018 comments Does Chasing Perfect work for option 2?

The GRs info doesn't say much but here is an excerpt from RomanceNovelNews.com review:

A retired Tour de France winner, he has the reputation of a womanizer. So what does the perfect male specimen see in a plain-Jane like Charity? Well the seemingly confident business owner and local hero is dealing with his own issues. After witnessing his friend die during a tragic bike race accident, Josh can no longer race due to debilitating panic attacks. Rather than face his fears, he retires from the circuit.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2975 comments Dlmrose,
your students must be easily entertained. I did like the wassabi one though. That was funny.

message 20: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments For option 4, does it have to be set in the USA or another country that uses the term 'high school', or can it be any 15-18 year old who is attending school full time?

message 21: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Barbara said: Does Chasing Perfect work for option 2?

The GRs info doesn't say much but here is an excerpt from RomanceNovelNews.com review:

A retired Tour de France winner, he has the reputation of a womanizer. So what does the perfect male specimen see in a plain-Jane like Charity? Well the seemingly confident business owner and local hero is dealing with his own issues. After witnessing his friend die during a tragic bike race accident, Josh can no longer race due to debilitating panic attacks. Rather than face his fears, he retires from the circuit.

If only Josh was still biking! But it looks like he's a business owner, so it's not going to work.

message 22: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Rosemary said: "For option 4, does it have to be set in the USA or another country that uses the term 'high school', or can it be any 15-18 year old who is attending school full time?"

It can be set in any country using whatever the translation is for 'High School' (grades 9-12). 15-18 years old is perfect, but they should be in some form of High School, not college.

message 23: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments jennbunny said "Ok....I must say the Uh Huh Fast video made me laugh and I watched it twice :)"

I've seen it so many times I could probably perform it for you. My students love that video. I think it has to do with the high-pitched voice and the guy's head looks like it's going to fall off!

Jayme said "your students must be easily entertained. I did like the wassabi one though. That was funny."

It's even funnier when you have kids run up to you and say, "Teacher! Wassssaaaabi!!!"

message 24: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I just wanted to check if A Mango-Shaped Space would be okay for Option 5... Hyphenated and all...

message 25: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I just wanted to check if A Mango-Shaped Space would be okay for Option 5... Hyphenated and all..."

That works.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments want to check on a couple books.
option 1: How to Save a Life

option 4: Purity
or
Special Topics in Calamity Physics

thanks!

message 27: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Sarah wrote: "want to check on a couple books.
option 1: How to Save a Life

option 4: Purity
or
Special Topics in Calamity Physics

thanks!"

Yep, all 3 work!

message 28: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo | 102 comments Have you posted points you have earned in the Completed Tasks thread? I think my points have been credited to you, but I wanted to be sure before I posted to get it fixed. (This probably wasn't the right place to post. Sorry!)

message 29: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Maria wrote: "Have you posted points you have earned in the Completed Tasks thread? I think my points have been credited to you, but I wanted to be sure before I posted to get it fixed. (This probably wasn't th..."

That's ok. You were right, those aren't my points! I posted a completed task (now I should be on it) and left a note for the moderator to attribute those 15 points to you.

message 30: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo | 102 comments Marcia wrote: "Maria wrote: "Have you posted points you have earned in the Completed Tasks thread? I think my points have been credited to you, but I wanted to be sure before I posted to get it fixed. (This prob..."

Thank you!

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15858 comments Mod
Maria wrote: "Have you posted points you have earned in the Completed Tasks thread? I think my points have been credited to you, but I wanted to be sure before I posted to get it fixed. (This probably wasn't th..."

Please post this type of question in the ?/problems threads so that I will be sure to see them and can fix the problem. Thanks!

message 32: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo | 102 comments Sandy wrote: "Maria wrote: "Have you posted points you have earned in the Completed Tasks thread? I think my points have been credited to you, but I wanted to be sure before I posted to get it fixed. (This prob..."

Would you like me to do that now?

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15858 comments Mod
Maria wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Maria wrote: "Have you posted points you have earned in the Completed Tasks thread? I think my points have been credited to you, but I wanted to be sure before I posted to get it fix..."

No, I saw that here and have fixed it. But if you don't post in the ?/problems thread, you do take the chance that I won't notice it - that's where I look for problems. ;)

message 34: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) Your descriptions are really funny :).

Would A Vineyard in Tuscany: A Wine Lover's Dream count for the annoying Orange?
Because there is "vine" in the title (sort of), and there is also a bunch of grapes on my German cover (upper right corner):

Ein Weinberg in der Toskana - Wie mein Traum wahr wurde by Ferenc Máté

message 35: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments SilverRaindrops wrote: "Your descriptions are really funny :).

Would A Vineyard in Tuscany: A Wine Lover's Dream count for the annoying Orange?
Because there is "vine" in the title (sort of), and there is also a bunch ..."

Thanks! As long as there's grapes on the cover it's good!

message 36: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) Marcia wrote: "SilverRaindrops wrote: "Your descriptions are really funny :).

Because there is "vine" in the title (sort of), an..."

Yay! Thanks :).

message 37: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Marcia, does biking refer specifically to bicyle racing or can it be touring by bicycle as in A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar?

message 38: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Marcia, does biking refer specifically to bicyle racing or can it be touring by bicycle as in A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar?"

Touring by bicycle is fine.

message 39: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Thanks, Marcia. I'd have looked for something else if necessary, but this was on my library holds list.

message 40: by Marscha (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 420 comments Will Death by the Dozen work for option 1?

message 41: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Marscha wrote: "Will Death by the Dozen work for option 1?"

Looks good to me!

message 42: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Marcia, I am going to withdraw A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar. There is precious little bicycling in it, except for the chapter headings. I'll look for something else. It's a good book, but doesn't fit the spirit of the task.

message 43: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Marcia, I am going to withdraw A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar. There is precious little bicycling in it, except for the chapter headings. I'll look for something else. It's a good book, but d..."

Ok, sounds good.

message 44: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Jul 16, 2012 05:51PM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 53 comments I know there isn't much info on this book but I was wondering if Great Giants Stories Every Young Fan Should Know would be ok for option 2? It's a non-fiction book with some history of the San Francisco Giants baseball team.

message 45: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Heather wrote: "I know there isn't much info on this book but I was wondering if Great Giants Stories Every Young Fan Should Know would be ok for option 2? It's a non-fiction book with some history of the San Fran..."

It's definitely about Baseball! Looks good to me!

message 46: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 53 comments Great thank you! I came across it in a local bookstore today, and had never seen so little info on a book page before so thought I should ask :)

message 47: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 888 comments How about The Chaperone for option 1?

message 48: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Tammy AZ wrote: "How about The Chaperone for option 1?"

That works! It sounds pretty interesting. I might read that one myself..

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments This is a last minute question, I know, but I'm wondering about Song of the Sparrow for option 1. The flap description only lists it being about Elaine and the Gwynivere arrives. Just wondering!

message 50: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 86 comments Sarah wrote: "This is a last minute question, I know, but I'm wondering about Song of the Sparrow for option 1. The flap description only lists it being about Elaine and the Gwynivere arrives. Just wondering!"

Sorry it took me so long to reply!

From the description Song of the Sparrow is about 3 characters, so it wouldn't work for option 1.