Children's Books discussion

Betty Bunny Wants Everything
This topic is about Betty Bunny Wants Everything
Themes, Topics & Categories > Books About Children's Behavioral Issues

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (onthemove) Again, I have no idea where to start in getting an answer to my question, so please move this question to the correct place.

I am looking for books that are children's picture books that discuss a behavior issue with ALL children. So for example in the book Betty Bunny wants everything a little bunny gets to go to the store and buy one item and she like many 4-5 year olds filled her basket even though her mother continued to warn her she could only get one item. Mommy walks out of the store with no toys for Betty

We really enjoyed this book becuase as the book unfolded my son (who will be 6 in Sept.) realized that was him. In fact when we finished he said very sweetly " mommy, I have something to tell you.....I did that when I was younger". What a momment for him.
So I want to read more books like that, where he has a momment that he realizes it's nit just him that wants every booki in the toy store.

We did read Betty Bunny love chocolate cake and it was good but didn't convey a message to my son about something he did that all children do.
What about self-reflexion??

Hope I am making sense... I thought about asking the librarians group but I am not a member of that group.
Thanks for your help in finding more books

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I don't have anything that comes to mind right away, Leslie. I'll look around at work today (I work at a library and spend an awful lot of time in the kid's section!) and see what I can find. I hope you find something that produces another moment with your son! :)

message 3: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 127 comments I think a lot of the Berenstain Bears books deal with issues such as this. Berenstain

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I know there are a bunch. Many are published by presses that also publish psychology books. But I also can't think of any offhand. I know one of our group members has been reading quite a few related books. If she sees this thread, she might chime in with some specifics. Good luck. I'll also be curious to see specific books members know.

message 5: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6159 comments Mod
I'll think about it. Some of the picture books by Kevin Henkes have children who learn little lessons.

Btw, the Librarians Group would be the wrong place. That's where you post if you see something wrong on the book page, for example no credit given to the illustrator or no mention of the number of pages.

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I could not find anything today!! I did see My Dad Is Big And Strong, BUT...: A Bedtime Story, which is about a kid putting his dad to bed and going through everything a parent would go through ('one more story!!', etc.), but I don't think that's what you're looking for really. Sorry!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Cheryl is correct about the Librarians group not being the right group in which to post about this. In addition to this group, we do have a "Requests for Books in General" folder in the What’s the Name of That Book?. But I do think you're more likely to find books from members of this group.

message 8: by Chrislin (new)

Chrislin | 8 comments Little critter books have teaching moments. Arther and D.W. fantastic learning books. Franklin the turtle. My granddaughter really likes Franklin the books are beautiful. Berenstain Bears. They are all easy to collect affordable and have teaching moments. I also like Fancy Nancy.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments I am sure there are lots. I found a resource that I thought I would share. It is a mom that reviews children's books and most are books I haven't read although I just put several on hold. Many of the books seem to teach a lesson in an indirect way. Such as Everyday dress up which teaches about several great women of history through a little girl's dress up games. The website is wordsbymom.com

message 10: by Steven (new)

Steven Stickler | 11 comments I'm sure there are many good choices, but we were big fans of Franklin.

message 11: by Chrislin (new)

Chrislin | 8 comments Thanks for the website. I am always looking for new kids books and I like to find one we can link with a craft,art,nature or paper dolls. Are local library just had Winsor Mcay Day. Genius illustrator, cartoonist, and he made the first animated movie 18 years before Disney. The short simple movie is Gertie.

message 12: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Winsor McCay
Gertie the Dinosaur, 1914 - youtube

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Here are a few that I've thought of.

The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes about a girl who never makes mistakes until she does...and realizes that it is okay.

Grandad's Prayers of the Earth and The Secret of Saying Thanks, both by Douglas Wood, teach about prayer (both in the traditional sense and in the sense of giving thanks to the Earth) and about the importance of gratitude. Some readers think they are too preachy/didactic, but I love them.

As others mentioned, many of the Arthur books, Franklin books, even Frog and Toad teach lessons.

message 14: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Mercer Mayer's Little Critter books, for example Little Critter: Just Saving My Money.

Samantha Berger's Martha books, for example Martha Doesn't Say Sorry!.