♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)
This topic is about The Immortal Rules
Past Reads > The Immortal Rules

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Jun 02, 2012 10:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

description

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

What did you think of Ranin? Was he a good mentor or was he too hard on Allison. Did you like Zeke? How did you feel about Allison's struggles with humanity vs being a monster?

Actually my book had some discussion questions at the end. I'll grab it and add them in soon.

message 2: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Jun 02, 2012 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Discussion Questions

1. Allison claims she hates vampires and believes they are monsters. Yet when faced a choice to die or become one, she chooses to be a vampire. Give a choice between death and becoming something you hate, what would you do? How did Allison's choice make you feel about her character?

2. The Immortal Rules takes place about sixty years after a virus has killed off most of the world's human population. What do you think the biggest challenge would be for the remaining population if that happened today?

3. Kanin warns Allison that the longer she lives as a vampire, the more her humanity will slip away. What traits do you think are essential to humanity? Does Allison continue to display these traits? How does she change as the story progresses?

4. Allison's decision to contact Stick compromises her and Kanin's hiding place. Would Allison have been better off letting go of her past, or was she right to approach him? What would you have done, and why?

5. As a vampire, Allison believes she must try not to form a romantic attachment with Zeke. Do you believe they have a chance at a future together, or are their differences too great? What do you believe makes a relationship work?

6. Jebbadiah continually emphasizes that he is willing to leave one person behind for the good of the group, yet he comes searching for Bethany and Allison when they are swept away by the river. What do you think makes someone a strong leader? Would you follow Jeb in this situation?

7. Zeke, Jeb and the group cast Allison out when they discover what she is. Yet when they are attacked, Allison jumps in to help them. How did her actions make you feel? What do you think makes someone heroic?

8. Allison feels loyalty toward Kanin and decides to try to find and help him. But before she does that, she agrees to stay with Zeke and the group until they reach Eden. Do you think her loyalty to the group was misguided? What do you think makes someone deserving of loyalty?

message 3: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm going to attempt to answer them all cause I thought they were pretty neat. I like when books include discussion questions.

1. If faced with the choice to live or die no matter what I'll choose to live. If I have to be a vampire, werewolf, robot, some other kind of freaky it's all good sign me up! I'll do what it takes. I know that Allison hated vampires but when it comes to death I think our instinct is to survive. Plus I kind of felt like she thought that if her life was over, then she still wanted a chance to make the world better and see it better. As a vampire she could live to maybe see a better place and then she will feel like she can pass on.

2. I think a lot of problems would arise from a virus outbreak. Things like lack of structure, housing, food, war and panic.

3. I think he meant the more she lives alone being seen as a monster, the more she will see herself that way. I think if she continues to fight for her humanity it will remain. I think empathy is a huge trait of humanity and Allison definitely keeps it throughout the book. She continues to help the humans even if they view her as a monster because as she said if she didn't do anything then she really would be the monster they say she is. That was a great line!

4. I think I would have approached him as well. She didn't want to let go of her humanity. He was her friend and she wanted to make sure he was okay. She was hoping he could see the real her inside but he didn't. She definitely shouldn't have given away her location though.

5. I think their relationship can work for a little while but he will never want to change. He believes to strongly about that and it will be a problem. He will grow old and she won't :-(

6. A strong leader definitely has to make some tough decisions. Sometimes that may be best for the group but when possible, he should try to help and save everyone he can.

7. I was proud of Allison. Even though they cast her out she proved to them she wasn't a monster. That no matter how they viewed her she would save them. She was a good person. She didn't want to become the monster that they saw her as.

8. I think her loyalty was right. The group needed her help and they would have never made it without her. Zeke and the group also began to see past what Allison was and saw who she is. That was a great thing.

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments I didn't like The Immortal Rules. At first. I just had so many bad experiences with "human cattle" (like, once). But Julie proves to be a great author and made me really like the story by the time I finished the book.

message 5: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved it!!! All the struggle Allison endures to try to stay human and not a monster. Plus Zeke was so sweet and awesome. I was so sad at the end when she had to leave him.

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments Maybe while Allison is trying to save Kanin, she will be outnumbered or something, then Zeke will pop out of nowhere it save her lol

message 7: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am sure Zeke will be back at some point. I just know Allison so badly wanted a world like where they ended up but now she can't enter it. So sad. I felt like a big reason why she chose to be a vampire and live was that she didn't want to die with the world still being as awful as it was. She wanted to see more and maybe even help make it better. But she will never really get to be a part of it.

message 8: by ✽Laurenj426✽ (last edited Sep 08, 2012 08:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

✽Laurenj426✽ (purplepandy) | 606 comments I loved it! Everything about it was interesting. The world that Julie created was fascinating, and I was so relieved to not have a vampire book that made vampires all "nice and sparkly" (or as in Twilight-literally)
The way Allison battled with her immortality was very believable and so was her and Zeke's romance. There was just a bit, but it's a change from people rushing into it.
Ranin (I think that's his name, can't really remember) was awesome! I was thinking wow he's so cool!! *phew* not a love interest. Hopefully.
so for the next one, yay for more Ranin!!

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments Lauren (purplepandy) wrote: "I loved it! Everything about it was interesting. The world that Julie created was fascinating, and I was so relieved to not have a vampire book that made vampires all "nice and sparkly" (or as in T..."

Kanin, maybe? I didn't like Zeke at first, he just seemed so useless, but he proved himself by half the book or so. That did make the story more believable

Jennifer wrote: "I am sure Zeke will be back at some point. I just know Allison so badly wanted a world like where they ended up but now she can't enter it. So sad. I felt like a big reason why she chose to be a va..."

well said! :)

Chester Carstairs (livinginashadowworld) | 4 comments I just finished reading this! I love Kagawa so I was a bit scared before reading this cause I'm always doubtful when it comes to vampire stories. It was really great though!

I love the characters and their developments. I like Zeke cause even if he grew up believing that vampires are monsters, and they are in a way, he was still open-minded enough to see past Allison's "vampirism" and gave her a chance.

I think Kanin wasn't really that hard on Allison. In a way, he's teaching her to be distant, not only to vampires but to anyone, since she's a new vampire and will tend to hold on to her humanity. And he knows if she always feel attached to humans, she would have a hard time surviving since she'll always feel guilty drinking from humans.

I hate the ending, though. I know the humans deserve it after searching for so many years. I just hate that Allie and Zeke had to part. I hope they'll see each other again soon!

Jenny (juliababyjen) I LOVED THIS BOOK! It was one of my favorite reads last year!

I'll answer #7

I think a true hero is someone who acts for the better of others but expects nothing in return. In this way, I do think Allison was a true hero to the group. I didn't blame the group for casting her out. They were just trying to protect their families.

I also think that Allison still though of herself as human through this story, and that's why she acted the way she did. She was trying to hold onto her humanity.

I read a review awhile back that questioned why Allison even joined the group of humans and pretended to be one. Why didn't she just wander? I think its because she was scared, and still though of herself as human, so she did what any human would do. Band together with others and find help.

message 12: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny wrote: "I LOVED THIS BOOK! It was one of my favorite reads last year!

I'll answer #7

I think a true hero is someone who acts for the better of others but expects nothing in return. In this way, I do thi..."

Yes I think Ali still wants to hold on to her humanity and felt being with humans helped. I think she needed them and she also wanted to protect them.