Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Other Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What other types of books do you like to read? What are your favorite books/series?

I love YA books and some adult books. My favorite YA series is Vampire Academy, and I also love Howl's Moving Castle, Beastly, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and Harry Potter. Some adult books I love are The Street of a Thousand Blossoms, Out, and Memoirs of a Geisha.

message 2: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I love fantasy books in general, I used to mostly read children novels and since the last two I have also read YA. To mention my favourite series would be:
Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings, Inheritance Cycle, Vampire Academy just to mention a few :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you read all of VA and/or Bloodlines?

message 4: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yes I have! I am so excited to get The Golden Lily!!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

8 more days (in America). Which do you prefer, VA or Bloodlines?

message 6: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Ummm.... I don't really know yet, I was always Team Adrian, so I am happy when Adrian is happy which isin Bloodlines but I love kick ass Rose so Iam not sure lol

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'm more VA. I like Dimitri, and I don't really care for the alchemist society. They're too uptight and secretive.

message 8: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I really am interested to know more about the VA world so I will definitely read the entire series

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I recommend the Vampire Academy Guide for learning about the world, too. It goes into detail about a lot of different things.

message 10: by harshini (last edited Jun 05, 2012 03:36AM) (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Hmmm.... I haven't heard of that yet, if it does share a lot on their world, then I think I might read it

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished The Golden Lily, and it was amazing! I seriously recommend Vampire Academy and Bloodlines if you're a fan of vampires and/or YA paranormal romance. Or if you're just looking for a good read.

message 12: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments TGL was amazing too bad we have to wait till next Feb for the Indigo Spell!! :(
Have you seen its cover, I love it! But I wonder who the other guy on the cover!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have seen the new cover. A lot of people think it's Marcus, but I say it isn't, because Marcus was described as having blond hair and blue eyes. It could be a character we meet in The Indigo Spell.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Well, I have pretty eclectic tastes. I'm open to reading anything, including stuff from other eras (actually reading an 18th century Gothic novel right now:D).
But I also enjoy some YA. I don't really like PNR, so that REALLY narrows my YA material down. But my favorite series are Harry Potter (who doesn't love HP?), Pendragon, the Tomorrow Series, Benny Imura, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Homelanders. You know, stuff like that.
My favorite stand-alone books are A Swift Pure Cry, A Step from Heaven, Speak, The White Darkness, etc. I like the award-winning-type YA. Always the best:)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

There are some good PNR's out there, but they're so far and few in between, and it takes so much time to find them. One of the best ones I've found is Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. It seems like just another YA PNR, but it totally blows the stereotypes out of the water. Plus, Cynthia Hand can actually write, knows a thing or two about plot, and has created realistic characters who develop throughout the series. It didn't feel like another YA PNR when I read it.

message 16: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Hmmm I always wanted to try Unearthly, but the story feels a bit similar. Especially since its all half-angels and all!

Must I say I think I am gonna be obsessed with Nicholas Sparks books soon, since they sound so good I think I will try a couple of them. Anyone know any extremely good ones of his?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I was totally surprised at how not formulaic Unearthly is. You think you know the plot right from the beginning, but then Unearthly shows that it's different from all other YA PNR's. Yes, it has angels in it, but it doesn't feel like you're reading the same story again.

As far as Nicholas Sparks goes, I would recommend A Walk to Remember and Nights in Rodanthe.

message 18: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yeah a lot of people are asking me to read that first, but there are some who usually say books are better, but they say the movie is better than the book!

I havent read many purely angel based books. The only one is Angel (Angel, #1) by L.A. Weatherly which I thought was really cool but the second was dissappointing

message 19: by jenny (new)

jenny I've been wanting to read Unearthly. I'll check and see what the wait list is at the library.
And since you are talking angel books, has anyone read Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee by Susan Ee? I loved this book so much. It was my favorite of 2011. I read this in less that 24 hours! The plot is exciting and has so many unexpected twists. The characters are great too. I'm not sure how you all feel about dystopian but this book falls into that
category and also paranormal/YA/romance/post-apocalyptic.

As far as Nicholas Sparks goes, I have read A Walk to Remember and A Bend in the Road. My dad loaned them to me and while they are not really my thing, they were well written and entertaining. And of course they made me cry.

message 20: by McKenna (new)

McKenna I love Dystopian it is my favorite genre! (Probabaly tied with manga) For those of you who don't know what dystopian is, it's a genre of books that takes place in a futuristic or post-apocolyptic society. Some amazing dystopian books are Hunger Games, Matched, and Delirium.

message 21: by McKenna (new)

McKenna I also like YA :)

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments I loved the Hunger games, I will have to look into Matched and Delirium.

message 23: by Katy (new)

Katy Loved Delirium, but can't say I loved Matched.

YA is my favorite genre!

message 24: by Irene (new)

Irene | 8 comments I LOVED STHE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS (CITY OF BONES) They're filming the film right now. Today is the 8th day of the set. I REALLY LOVED IT:)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the first book, and have been meaning to read the rest, but my TBR list is long and this fall/winter just got super busy.

message 26: by Katy (new)

Katy All the books are good. I like the Infernal Devices better though :)

message 27: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I really need to read the rest of TMI, never get time lol

message 28: by McKenna (new)

McKenna I'm on City of Fallen Angels right now and I love the books!

message 29: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments *guilty* I wonder when I will ever get to that series again :( I suck at this! I wish I had waaay more time to read

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Harshini, me too. I picked up the second book, but then concluded that I needed to reread the first book, as I had forgotten way too much and was totally confused.

message 31: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments That is bad, cause its been a year since I read the first three. :/

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate when I get behind on a series then forget what happened earlier. That would suck to reread the first 3.

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Wednesday wrote: "I hate when I get behind on a series then forget what happened earlier. That would suck to reread the first 3."

I hate that, too. There are so many series that I haven't finished yet because I don't want to go back and reread the entire series.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

At least with manga isn't not so annoying since one volume doesn't take as long to read. That's why I don't mind rereading Fruits Basket.

message 35: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Well sometimes when I read books I graudually remember everything, since sometimes they repeat some stuff and all

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

That's true, but it's also frustrating being confused when things don't get explained.

message 37: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I know, and then I end up reading the series again. I don't mind if I loved the books, but if it was just ok, I wouldn't feel like reading it again :/

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

That's true. I like City of Bones enough to be okay with rereading it.

message 39: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments So will I, but I am really not in the mood for YA fantasy right now? More of mythology :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I need to get to HP 5. But first I need to finish Halo The Flood by William C. Dietz . I will eventually reread City of Bones.

message 41: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments So I have to STOP going to the library cause I keep going and get some YA books. This distracts me from good awesome books :\
For example I got Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1) by Yvonne Woon , so far I dont love it

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "So I have to STOP going to the library cause I keep going and get some YA books. This distracts me from good awesome books :\
For example I got Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1) by Yvonne Woon, so far I dont lo..."

It's too bad that you don't like the book that you're reading :( At least you got it from the library, though. It's a much worse experience reading a bad book if you know that you paid for it.

message 43: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Oh that is just awful! I do have some like that, but most of those are gifts! Some people do not know what to buy for me :/
Anyway that book turned out fine in the end, I just finished it

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I don't usually but fiction books for people. It never turns out well.

I'm glad that your book turned out okay in the end :)

message 45: by harshini (last edited Oct 25, 2012 04:30AM) (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Well finally last birthday I got some reasonable books, but I still got some stupid ones. That I still havent read yet

I am gonna start another library book now lol *cross-fingers*

message 46: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Sorry, Harshini, but would mind changing the swear word in your comment to something more...family-friendly? There are a lot of young members in this group, so swearing is not allowed.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Kristen, for catching that. I passed right over it, even though it's my rule. I personally don't mind cussing (and can be really bad when on the road or playing Dead or Alive), but some people do, and I want to be respectful of that.

message 48: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Oops sorry, I didn't realize that it was a swear word lol
Would you consider 14 young?

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not just about younger members, but also members who could be offended by cussing, even if they're older.

Now, let's remain on topic. :)

I just picked up Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff . I've heard both a lot of good and bad things about this book. Has anybody read it? If so, what did you think?

message 50: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Oh wow that book sounds awesome! Hope you enjoy it!

« previous 1